PDA

View Full Version : Need Laptop Help

Cutlass Queen
10-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I have an HP laptop that I'm having charging issues with. Last night the battery ran out of power in it so I plugged the adapter in...nothing. The computer didn't recognize the cord being plugged in at all (no charging light lit up like it normally does). So I thought it was maybe a broken wire in the charger and tried to plug the laptop into another computer charger..still nothing. I took the battery out of the laptop and plugged the charger into the computer...nada. Wiggled the power cord around while it was plugged into the laptop...nothing. So I let it sit for a while and later on in the night I tried it for the hell of it again...and sure shit the computer charging light lit up and the computer started charging! I called up the tech support and they mentioned it could be the motherboard on the computer but then a buddy mentioned it could be a wire in the computer that deals with this? Does anyone have any ideas what it could possibly be? If it's the motherboard of the computer it doesn't pay for me to fix this one since it be about 8-900 bucks for it so I'd rather buy a whole new laptop. Thoughts anyone?

Karps TA
10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
My guess is the connection for the plug on the AC adapter is breaking at the mother board. It's a real common problem on older HP and Compaqs. I had the same thing happen to my Compaq that I had about 5 years ago. It costs more to fix then the laptop is worth.

BoosTT
10-05-2009, 01:38 PM
My guess is the connection for the plug on the AC adapter is breaking at the mother board. It's a real common problem on older HP and Compaqs. I had the same thing happen to my Compaq that I had about 5 years ago. It costs more to fix then the laptop is worth.

exactly

Cheep solution: buy a laptop dock and charge/use the laptop that way. I have one I use like this.

subliminal1284
10-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Correction, it costs more to fix than the laptop is worth if you cant do it yourself or have someone do it for you for free. The part is only like $5 on ebay. Its not that hard to do if youre tech savvy, just take the laptop apart taking careful notes on how it came apart, remove solder from old AC connector, solder in new connector and re assemble takes about 2 hours at the most. I just did this on an old laptop I had a few months ago.

BoosTT
10-05-2009, 03:02 PM
^^^ I would guess the surface mount traces are ripped up. I wouldn't think this would be an easy cut and dry solder job. Could be, but I doubt it.

Anakonda69
10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Correction, it costs more to fix than the laptop is worth if you cant do it yourself or have someone do it for you for free. The part is only like $5 on ebay. Its not that hard to do if youre tech savvy, just take the laptop apart taking careful notes on how it came apart, remove solder from old AC connector, solder in new connector and re assemble takes about 2 hours at the most. I just did this on an old laptop I had a few months ago.

2 hours of time on a old computer is what makes it more costly then what the computer is worth. lol

subliminal1284
10-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah thats why I said its worth it if you do it yourself. It is a pretty easy solder job. It is not surface mount it is through hole soldered in. (atleast the one I did). The laptop I did it on was an HP Omnibook 6000.

Anakonda69
10-05-2009, 04:47 PM
no i meant an old computer isn't even worth 2 hours of my own time.

95mustang302
10-05-2009, 06:08 PM
like they said costs more to fix than its worth...

I have a notebook for sale, PM ME!!! LOL

95mustang302
10-05-2009, 06:08 PM
but seriously I had to have it done on my last laptop and I luckily got it done right as the warranty ran out and the bill would have been over 400 bux....

RanJer
10-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Happened on my Compaq not to long ago. One minute it was fine, then nothing. I could wiggle it and get the light to come on/off but it wouldn't stay charging. Got lucky that it was just a bad power supply/cord. The one I bought has multiple ends, you just figure out which one your computer uses. I'm not anywhere near you but I'd say try to find a good working power cord and try it.. Worth a shot..

Cutlass Queen
10-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Happened on my Compaq not to long ago. One minute it was fine, then nothing. I could wiggle it and get the light to come on/off but it wouldn't stay charging. Got lucky that it was just a bad power supply/cord. The one I bought has multiple ends, you just figure out which one your computer uses. I'm not anywhere near you but I'd say try to find a good working power cord and try it.. Worth a shot..

I tried another power cord and still nothing. It works on and off..basically when it wants to. I have an HP Compaq nw8440 if that helps anyone? I'd like to go ahead and see if it's a wire connection just needing resoldering as others have said. Does anyone know how to do this? I don't want to tear it down and end up breaking something else that is in working condition :(

wikked
10-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Definitely sounds like the AC jack is loose, like others have said.
I've had a bunch of laptops like that.
There are services on eBay that will replace your AC jack for $40, not including shipping both ways, if you want to do it that way.

Only takes a few minutes to do.
The most time consuming part is taking the latptop apart/putting it back together.

ND4SPD
10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
The most time consuming part is taking the latptop apart/putting it back together.

What he said. As long as you can get the thing apart... and more importantly... back together. It's not too terribly difficult. Have a digital camera handy and take lots of pictures as you take it apart. That's usually what I do.

If you're lucky it won't be as big of a PITA to get at as the hard drive was in this piece of shit! Took 8 hours to get this Gateway all-in-one apart to get the failed hard drive out for replacement under warranty.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc93/xND4SPDx/Miscellaneous/PiecesOfGateway.jpg

Cutlass Queen
10-06-2009, 08:18 AM
What he said. As long as you can get the thing apart... and more importantly... back together. It's not too terribly difficult. Have a digital camera handy and take lots of pictures as you take it apart. That's usually what I do.

If you're lucky it won't be as big of a PITA to get at as the hard drive was in this piece of shit! Took 8 hours to get this Gateway all-in-one apart to get the failed hard drive out for replacement under warranty.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc93/xND4SPDx/Miscellaneous/PiecesOfGateway.jpg

Holy hell that's a mess! So would you recommend I get an AC jack for replacement first? Is it just held in by screws that may have came loose or is it a soldering connection? Can I purchase one of these locally? Sorry for all the questions I just want to tear it down soon but before I do so I want to make sure I have everything I need and am well prepared for no surprises to occur in the middle of it.

BoosTT
10-06-2009, 08:23 AM
I have an nw 8440, if you wanted to test your power supply or what not.

I'm guessing you went to msoe?

Cutlass Queen
10-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I have an nw 8440, if you wanted to test your power supply or what not.

I'm guessing you went to msoe?

Yep you got it...this computer has been nothing but trouble from day 1. I'll have to give them a call and see if they could maybe do it but I know mines out of warranty now.

subliminal1284
10-06-2009, 03:41 PM
If you decide to not fix it and are just going to junk it let me know and Ill take it.

Cutlass Queen
10-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Okay so I tore the laptop apart tonight and the power adapter has no wires. It's directly attached to the motherboard. I have no clue what's the best route to go with this laptop. Is buying a docking station the best thing to do? or can I even purchase this power adapter to go on the mother board?

subliminal1284
10-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Look on ebay for a power adaptor for it, it should only be like 5 bucks. Just unsolder the old one to remove and solder the new one in and re assemble

wikked
10-08-2009, 01:28 AM
FYI, be sure to invest in a roll of solder sucker (Radio Shack) if you don't have any. Makes the job a jillion times easier.

ND4SPD
10-08-2009, 04:59 PM
If you already have it apart, you might as well fix it. Check the solder connection on the main board for the ac adapter. Give me a call if you need help (number is in the post referenced in my sig). Next time... buy a lenovo. :D If you bring it to me in it's disassembled condition I'll re-solder it for you for free (cuz it'll take <5 minutes). It's the teardown and reassembly that runs up all the labor. I doubt that it needs a new plug... the solder connection is probably bad. Happens all the time with laptops.

Cutlass Queen
10-09-2009, 09:01 AM
If you already have it apart, you might as well fix it. Check the solder connection on the main board for the ac adapter. Give me a call if you need help (number is in the post referenced in my sig). Next time... buy a lenovo. :D If you bring it to me in it's disassembled condition I'll re-solder it for you for free (cuz it'll take <5 minutes). It's the teardown and reassembly that runs up all the labor. I doubt that it needs a new plug... the solder connection is probably bad. Happens all the time with laptops.

I'm going to be taking the laptop tonight to my Uncle after work to make sure this is the issue with the laptop. If it is then I'm going to be ordering the part on ebay (found one for $15) and I'll def. take it to you if it needs to be re-soldered. I'm iffy on de-soldering the old one off the board and then re-soldering a new one on so I'll leave that to the experts haha. I'll keep you posted for sure though! Thanks! Also I noticed when trying to get the power cord to work last night that when the adapter is plugged into the computer, it seems loose...is that an indication of this bad power jack issue?

subliminal1284
10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Yes it sure is.

Cutlass Queen
10-09-2009, 12:27 PM
In case I haven't said it yet, Thank you everyone for all of your help on this!

ND4SPD
10-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm going to be taking the laptop tonight to my Uncle after work to make sure this is the issue with the laptop. If it is then I'm going to be ordering the part on ebay (found one for $15) and I'll def. take it to you if it needs to be re-soldered. I'm iffy on de-soldering the old one off the board and then re-soldering a new one on so I'll leave that to the experts haha. I'll keep you posted for sure though! Thanks! Also I noticed when trying to get the power cord to work last night that when the adapter is plugged into the computer, it seems loose...is that an indication of this bad power jack issue?

Take some pics so I can see the part you're talking about. If it's what I think it is, you shouldn't even need to replace it... so maybe I'm confused about what part you think is bad. Also, what's the model# of your laptop?

BoosTT
10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't buy a new connector yet. I doubt you'll need it. Just reconnect the old one.