PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy a firearm

Exitspeed
10-05-2009, 01:00 PM
...for home protection. Yeah New Berlin is a scary place. lol. When I purchase the gun my wife and I will both take a gun safety course as neither one of us have in the past.

I know a shotgun is intimidating, but I'd like to stick with a handgun right now. I'm not looking for something really expensive. Maybe something in the $200-(if there is such thing)-$350 range. Wife has to be able to shoot it too, so maybe a 9mm. I've shot a .45 before and think it might be a little too much for her.

This gun really just needs to do one thing, so it doesn't need to do anything fancy. Just work.

*Please do not waste time trying to talk me out of the purchase.

xopher
10-05-2009, 02:33 PM
In that price range, I'm not a fan of most 9mm and .45ACP. For 9mm, .40, and .45, I always advise $400-$750. For that amount, something like a .380 might be the best purchase, and it would be comfortable for the wife. Fletcher had a few for ~$300 last week; I'm sure they have a rotating stock of those.

On the other hand, if your wife is more comfortable with rifles, higher calibers with more powerful rounds are available for the price you mentioned. That is of course if your special lady friend can swing around 3 feet of boomstick.

But before you set your heart on a make, model, caliber, and price, go to Fletcher Arms and Shooter's Shop and try out their rental selection. You can find out what you wife likes, and you can explore prices while you're there.

HITMAN
10-05-2009, 03:50 PM
A revolver is, IMO,the best handgun for people that aren't regular shooters, and need something simple to use for self defense. Unless you shoot an auto on a regular basis and are extremely familiar with it's operation, under the extreme pressure of self defense, you may forget to do something, or have a jam at the most inopportune time. Revolvers are pretty much point it in the direction you want to shoot in and start pulling the trigger. A Taurus Judge loaded with .410 shot shells and (as time and money permit) a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips and you'll have a nice compact package that's easy on the wallet, easy to aim and fire in an emergency and wont over penetrate and kill one of your or your neighbor's kids.

Silver350
10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I picked up a Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm this weekend at Gander Mountain for $591.XX with taxes and backround check fee.

TheRX7Project
10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
If you look around for used, a friend of mine got a used Taurus .40 for $200.

If you want a NICE gun and are willing to spend a little more money, you can find Springfield XD's for ~$400... and that's an excellent gun. They are available in 9mm, .40 and .45

1320PNY
10-05-2009, 08:08 PM
For protection get a 12 gauge pump. Your wife can shoot it, you won't miss what you're aiming at, and you won't kill yourself or the neighbors.

You don't need a revolver for home protection. Revolvers are for carry protection.

Just the sound of a pump will send anyone back out the way they came and you won't need to use it. That's the focus, not killing anyone and not hurting anyone.

Rocket Power
10-05-2009, 08:59 PM
The intimidation of the sound of racking a 12ga is overrated. If someone is going to break in while you are home, a little noise isn't going to scare them. If your going handgun I would go at least 9mm or .38 special. You are going to get more for your money getting a used gun in good shape than trying to find a decent new one for ~$200.
If you change your mind and want to get a shotgun, there is usually some good reading here in the tactical/hd forum. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=7

If you do get a shotgun don't get a pistol grip only one, and you still have to aim a shotgun. At house distances the spread isn't going to be that big even with a cyl bore. birdshot=birds buckshot=bad guys:goof

TheRX7Project
10-06-2009, 08:09 AM
If you do decide to go shotgun, I picked up a New England Firearms Pardner 12ga pump Turkey gun (say that all in one breath lol) for $135 from Gander.

These guns have gotten great reviews, and use a lot of the same parts as a Remington 870. It's a nice gun, especially for what I paid for it. New they're not much more than $200.

Irish
10-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Exitspeed
10-06-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not opposed to spending more, but I definitely don't want to spend like $700+.

Great suggestions so far. I appreciate the input.

Irish
10-06-2009, 09:30 AM

Bart H
10-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Go Mel! Prepare for the Zombie invasion!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142168581

http://www.gunsamerica.com/957545093/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Pistols/Glock-Pistols/22/MPD_Glocks.htm

shoooo32
10-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I've been looking to pick one of these up. I love my P22 for plinking but it doesn't work well for personal protection. This gun is the same size but packs a much bigger punch.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/shoooo32/walther380.jpg

Rocket Power
10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
The guy selling the MPD glocks is a good guy.He's in/or at least was in tosa I used him for an 01 transfer for my CETME receiver for the CETME I built.

MurphysLaw88GT
10-06-2009, 12:36 PM
CZ82. I like them, a lot to offer in a small pistol. Ambidextrous safety and mag release, small and concealable, reliable (any Ball or HP I have tried so far), very accurate, comfortable to shoot, low recoil, 9x18mm (not to be confused with 9x19mm), holds 12+1, chrome lined bore with polygonal rifling, steel construction, and best of all CHEAP!
Can be had for about 200-250 right now. They are surplus pistols from Czech army/police, but I can assure you most are all unfired, or fired very rarely. One of my favorites because it is cheap, concealable and made very well for how much they want for them. If the 9x18mm puts you off because you cannot buy at wal-mart (you can find it at Gander, Cabelas, or online for half the cost), a CZ83 comes in .380 if that suits you better, albeit slightly less power. I bought one because I wanted something small, concealable, reliable, relatively inexpensive, and accurate. This was in part because I also wanted to be able to have my girlfriend to be able to use it with no problems if she needed it, ruling out higher powered and larger pistols that I would typically choose.
Also, there are a lot of police trade in Glock 22s in .40 on the market for low prices also, another inexpensive alternative. Here is a link to show you what it looks like.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Surplus_and_Used_Handguns.html

Everyone will give you a different opinion, I am trying to think of nice quality pistols in your price bracket. But the CZ82 fit the bill for what I needed, and don't regret it at all. I did not have much expectation for it when I got it, but I was pleasantly surprised.

That_Guy
10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
A revolver is, IMO,the best handgun for people that aren't regular shooters, and need something simple to use for self defense. Unless you shoot an auto on a regular basis and are extremely familiar with it's operation, under the extreme pressure of self defense, you may forget to do something, or have a jam at the most inopportune time. Revolvers are pretty much point it in the direction you want to shoot in and start pulling the trigger. A Taurus Judge loaded with .410 shot shells and (as time and money permit) a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips and you'll have a nice compact package that's easy on the wallet, easy to aim and fire in an emergency and wont over penetrate and kill one of your or your neighbor's kids.

agree.. they are simple.. aim pull trigger.. if there is going to be a failure.. odds are its going to be ammo based..

my grandfather bought a judge a while ago.. sweet pistol.. its for sure on my list of pistols.

70 cutlass 442
10-06-2009, 03:00 PM
The guy selling the MPD glocks is a good guy.He's in/or at least was in tosa I used him for an 01 transfer for my CETME receiver for the CETME I built.

More info on this??

STANMAN
10-06-2009, 04:59 PM
.40 S&W, sigma - $350 @ gander, looks like a two tone glock

And functions as a paperweight. Sigma's S U C K SUCK! Spend the extra $50 and get a police trade in Glock, it may look worn out, but it's been taken care of by a real armorer it's whole life, and it will go bang every time you pull the trigger:thumbsup

TheRX7Project
10-06-2009, 08:44 PM
I've been looking to pick one of these up. I love my P22 for plinking but it doesn't work well for personal protection. This gun is the same size but packs a much bigger punch.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/shoooo32/walther380.jpg

I've been looking all over for one of these. If you find someone/where that has one for sale let me know. I've been waiting for this gun to come out ever since I first heard about it... and I can't find one anywhere.

The price is nice too, especially for a quality firearm. $360 for a .380 Walther seems like a good deal to me.

I loved the P22 I shot, but obviously a .22LR doesn't pack enough punch for home protection / personal protection. This gun is based on the P22 frame, just... powerfuler.

HITMAN
10-06-2009, 09:31 PM
And functions as a paperweight. Sigma's S U C K SUCK! Spend the extra $50 and get a police trade in Glock, it may look worn out, but it's been taken care of by a real armorer it's whole life, and it will go bang every time you pull the trigger:thumbsup

And when you figure out you can't hit anything with it you can always tie a rope around the frame and swing it over your head like a mace...:D

TheRX7Project
10-06-2009, 10:00 PM
It's a common mistake to believe cops actually take care of their guns. Most cops don't even look at their guns but once a year for testing.

That_Guy
10-06-2009, 10:28 PM
It's a common mistake to believe cops actually take care of their guns. Most cops don't even look at their guns but once a year for testing.

most police departments have sonic cleaners.. = greatest gift to firearms eva :headbang

Rocket Power
10-06-2009, 11:24 PM
More info on this??
The CETME I built or the guy selling Glocks?

CETME right after it was put together. Still haven't put a finish on it yet. I bought used Century crap plastic furniture for compliance as well as the US mag and receiver. Other parts will be subbed in so I can put the Wood back on and use the 15 cheap G3 mags I have .
The Before pic
http://usera.ImageCave.com/vista461/cetmekit.jpg

The After pic
http://usera.imagecave.com/vista461/cetme_build/gettingthere.jpg

The Seller looks like judging by the user name to be:
Kevin
K Wadhams Inc
6204 W North Ave.
Wauwatosa, WI 53213
email: Click here to email me
phone: 414-651-4570

Transfer fee: $20.00 long guns, $28.00 pistols
Which is who I used for the rec transfer.
http://gunbroker.com/User/FFLByProximity.asp

Rocket Power
10-06-2009, 11:37 PM
My "police trade" actually an ex-DNR gun. Was $399 at the Shooters shop when I got it a couple years ago. More than a wholesaler at the time , but I got to see what I was buying. Most police trades have holster wear but are shot much, good deals to be had.
http://usera.ImageCave.com/vista461/5906_ready_4_the_range.jpg

Also try summitgunbroker.com he has a good rep and has police trades alot.

STANMAN
10-07-2009, 05:51 AM

Cops don't take care of their guns, but the armorers that all major police departments have do, twice a year:thumbsup

TheRX7Project
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
The Seller looks like judging by the user name to be:
Kevin
K Wadhams Inc
6204 W North Ave.
Wauwatosa, WI 53213
email: Click here to email me
phone: 414-651-4570

Transfer fee: $20.00 long guns, $28.00 pistols
Which is who I used for the rec transfer.
http://gunbroker.com/User/FFLByProximity.asp

I transferred my AR lower through him. It's a little bit shady, he does business in a closed restaurant lol... but he had the necessary paperwork and was cheap.

Also, I am unfamiliar with sonic cleaning... going to have to google it.

That_Guy
10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I transferred my AR lower through him. It's a little bit shady, he does business in a closed restaurant lol... but he had the necessary paperwork and was cheap.

its amazing.. it makes any action or slide feel like butter i have a friend who works for a small p.d. and he said the one they have is amazing..

MurphysLaw88GT
10-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Were you expecting to be serenaded over a steak dinner when the restaurant is open while he called into NICS?

Rocket Power
10-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Were you expecting to be serenaded over a steak dinner when the restaurant is open while he called into NICS?
:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Irish
10-07-2009, 03:37 PM

TheRX7Project
10-07-2009, 04:30 PM

No, I was expecting the place to be a gun shop, pawn shop, hunter's supply store, hell even a hardware store or something. Even an office of some sort. I wasn't expecting to be in a closed restaurant at noon (why was it closed at lunch?) transferring a gun.

I mean it is what it is, just... not what I was expecting.

STANMAN
10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Mine doesn't. Maybe it's just you.

It's not me. I (used to, now I have a baby) shoot more in 1 month than most people who think they shoot a lot will in their entire lives.

I have never owned one personally. I know I worked on more Sigma handguns for warrenty work when I was a gunsmithing apprentice at the Gander Mountain in Germantown than all other warrenty work for handguns combined. That's where I get my "opinion" about Sigma's. Your mileage may vary, as even a blind squirrel finds a nut. I hope that you got a good one because they were, for sure, priced right:thumbsup

Irish
10-07-2009, 05:48 PM

lasttimearound
10-07-2009, 05:59 PM
mel, hit me up... i have a couple we could take out... even a couple ar's if you so choose to help you make your decision.

Exitspeed
10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
mel, hit me up... i have a couple we could take out... even a couple ar's if you so choose to help you make your decision.

Sweet. That would be cool. What are you doing Sunday?

lasttimearound
10-08-2009, 10:48 AM
shooting shit. haha, not too sure yet... i know im going to ron white on fri, fond du lac gun show sat...

Exitspeed
10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
shooting shit. haha, not too sure yet... i know im going to ron white on fri, fond du lac gun show sat...

Ok. Sun kinda sucks me too I guess. We can make it another time. No hurry.

lasttimearound
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
alright, i dont have too much planned until the 25-31

That_Guy
10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
dude...

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/New_Standard.html

Rocket Power
10-08-2009, 07:55 PM
dude...

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/New_Standard.html
Nice CCW gun/flamethower combo:rolf

TheRX7Project
10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
That is a bad ass little gun!

Coops Brother
10-23-2009, 11:04 PM

Kevin is a good friend of mine, I have sent a few of you over to him for transfers and haven't heard any bad feedback from any of them.
ATF laws make you have a storefront, his just happens to be a resturant, mine is an auto repair shop. We have lower prices because we don't have a bunch of employees, so anyhoooo in short, Kevin is a good guy.

Rocket Power
10-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Kevin is a good friend of mine, I have sent a few of you over to him for transfers and haven't heard any bad feedback from any of them.
ATF laws make you have a storefront, his just happens to be a resturant, mine is an auto repair shop. We have lower prices because we don't have a bunch of employees, so anyhoooo in short, Kevin is a good guy.

Yep my experience was good and a friend bought an ex-LEO glock from him.
I would def use him again if I needed an 01 FFL, but won't be for a while by looking at my checkbook:goof

TheRX7Project
10-24-2009, 08:43 AM
I guess I am just used to buying at gun stores. Had a pretense of what was to be expected, and that was not it lol.

I'd still use him again if I need to, don't get me wrong.