PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Heaters - Sold locally ?

awsomeears
10-05-2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.theonsale.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CZ1500P

I'm trying to find these at a local store, I could have sworn I seen one at a Vacuum store.

Coming from a HVAC stand point I thought these were BS until I started seeing them time and time again at homes I service.

Seeing I rent a small 600sq ft apt this should be perfect, will it heat when its ball cold out ? Doubt it and I don't expect it to.

Buddy of mine has one running in the middle of his work and it heats the place to about 70, they really work......................

But where to buy locally is the question

wrath
10-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Use an electric radiant heater filled with oil. You can get 1500 watt ones that are made in the USA and two of them will heat a 1000 sqft apartment.

jbiscuit
10-05-2009, 07:33 AM
better than the natural gas costs!

jon_we4
10-05-2009, 07:44 AM
http://www.theonsale.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CZ1500P

I'm trying to find these at a local store, I could have sworn I seen one at a Vacuum store.

Coming from a HVAC stand point I thought these were BS until I started seeing them time and time again at homes I service.

Seeing I rent a small 600sq ft apt this should be perfect, will it heat when its ball cold out ? Doubt it and I don't expect it to.

Buddy of mine has one running in the middle of his work and it heats the place to about 70, they really work......................

But where to buy locally is the question

Not trying to thread-jack. But I have some questions for you about insulating my garage and installing some sort of heating solution. Besides the obvious I don't know the best way to go about it, etc. Mostly about efficiency and venting.

05caddyext
10-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Ace Hardware sells the Eden Pure model of those infrared heaters. They work great. The one I work at sells the Eden Pure and another similar model made by Comfort Aire. We sell the 1000sq ft ones. Last winter we had it set up so that the customer could buy it and try it for 30 days and return it if they didn't like it. We didn't have a single return. We had a demo unit set up in the front of the store about 40 ft from the front doors. It heated that area so warm it would cycle on and off and its right in front of the outside doors. We sell both models for $397 every day.

Feature Pony
10-05-2009, 01:51 PM
what Ace are you at?

DurtyKurty
10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Someone fill me in here. I thought electric heat was pretty inefficient. Is this some new technology or something? What is so cool about these heaters?

05caddyext
10-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I am the manager at the Ace in Fort Atkinson. These are super efficient, they are infrared, totally different than a regular electric space heater. Read up on them, there is a lot to know, and a million different brands.

Jsho13
10-05-2009, 09:05 PM
I believe Oreck sells them. I am pretty sure I heard it on a commercial today on the radio.

wrath
10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Someone fill me in here. I thought electric heat was pretty inefficient. Is this some new technology or something? What is so cool about these heaters?

Electric heat is pretty much 100% efficient. Efficiency is only lost in the control system, to light (if it's got an element that emits light), or to fans.

A normal coil-type space heater (oil filled, water filled, et cetera) that use convention are pretty much 100% efficient.

Some electric heaters have fans on them, they're not 100% efficient.

There is also potential for wasted heat. True infrared heaters emit radiation that is felt as heat (IIRC, in the 3000nm wavelength area) and if they're not directional you might be sending radiation out a window.

1 watt is about 3.4btus. So if you have a 1.5KW space heater you're running about 5,000btus. More than enough to heat up a living room from 60 to 70 in an hour.