PDA

View Full Version : Restore it, leave alone, mod it.

Russ Jerome
10-04-2009, 11:11 PM
So with the passing of my dad last year all I wanted was the shiny 38 I got in trouble for shooting when I was 12 or 13yrs old. 30+ years ago it was like a hunk of gold to me, shiny and new I was the first to shoot it I believe:
http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/_/rsrc/1254714066649/Home/IMG_3828.JPG?height=150&width=200
http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/Home/IMG_3828.JPG?attredirects=0
http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/_/rsrc/1254714148974/Home/IMG_3829.JPG?height=150&width=200
http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/Home/IMG_3829.JPG?attredirects=0

Well what I remeberd as a S&W .38 as a kid now in hand is an original Charter Arms Undercover 38, not a later "Charco" or Charter2000 but back then a respectable, cheap concealed gun that costs all of $78 brand and another $30 for the gold plated version shown above.

So I've already orderd the missing ejector spring and guide and am preparing to tear it down to go thru the whole gun before firing it, at 12yrs old I thought it was a cannon!
So the question is, do I keep it as is the way dad wore the finish of it in his pocket? Or I believe knowing I love messing with stuff have it plated better than new and get some Crimson Trace grips and soften up the trigger pull after lobbing off the DA spur? Dad would be cool with both just wondering what people thought?

MurphysLaw88GT
10-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I would fix it and leave it, but that is just me. Shooting it like it is may bring back good memories. Or sprucing it up, you can make new memories with it.

Russ Jerome
10-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Here was the clue I probably was not the first shooter unless he waited until I shot it first, looked shiny/new as a kid:

Dear Sir,

We do not have the records for the old models, yours is as old as any we have seen. Look to the barrel for ID.
Bridgport Ct 1960-1970
Stratford Ct it was made 1970-1980
Ansonia Ct 1990

This one clearly reads Bridgport Ct and I was born in 1963!

RanJer
10-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Wow.. as old and apparently rare as it is. I'd have to say fix it to working order but leave it otherwise. Pretty cool piece..

Russ Jerome
10-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Gun snobs would say its as rare as a Pacer or a Pinto :)

I've been researching and searching Google images all night, cant find and old (good) style like this with gold finish anywhere. I e-mailed a guy who is compiling a Charter arms serial list of early unshrouded guns, he may be help on the gold finish. The guns do have there following, it'll be fun whatever I do with it.

Russ Jerome
10-07-2009, 02:02 AM
1967 or 68 production date.

The Charter arms guru says:

Nope, never saw one listed in any of the catalogues that I've acquired, either. I suspect it was an after market plating job.

My old man certainly didnt do it. I'm leaning toward pimping it out, I have all the tooling to do engine turning finish just need to see cost on plating it....anodized blue maybe? He would dig anything that looked Russteched :)

Moparjim
10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Cool gun.

I also have a 60's .38 that was my dad's carry weapon when he was a West Allis policeman. Its a S&W "Combat Masterpiece" I believe.

It is functional, but the blueing is shot and it has a little corrosion. I've cleaned it and messed with it a little and have shot it, but this thread reminds me that I have always wanted to get it "restored" or at least reblued decently.

Anyone capable of doing this on the board, or recommend someone? I'm not looking to spend a fortune and end up with a pristine gun or anything, but to have a nice job done at a fair price.

1320PNY
10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm in a similar situation with one left to me by my Grandfather. I'm just going to sit on it non- operable for now.

Russ Jerome
10-13-2009, 07:10 PM
I've got it stripped to the bone and am buffing it tonight, nickel plated below the gold finish. Wont be mint but it looks 100% better. I've loosly assembled it 20 times as I polish the action of it, getting a pretty smooth pull I should have checked its pull weight before I started. Pics coming, looks nice.

Holeshot
10-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Thats really cool.