PDA

View Full Version : Roundabouts ???? Like or hate them ???

DynoTom
10-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Easy poll question......Roundabouts like or hate them ???

Memphis
10-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I hate em...

chargedformula
10-04-2009, 10:58 PM
not really a fan of them. picking either the inside lane or the outside lane is what gets me. they seem to be better than stop lights though

Korndogg
10-04-2009, 11:01 PM
I like them but dumbass people don't know how to use them so therefore i hate them.

Graystone
10-04-2009, 11:01 PM
I hate them just because there always seems to be the person in front of me has no clue what to do. What is Wisconsin's fetish with them any way.

The off ramp on I43 at Moorland is out of hand. Traffic backs up onto the freeway. Not once have I seen that when it was a lighted intersection.

deuceWI
10-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Remember . . .

Before entering the roundabout, Stop - Look Both Ways - Freak Out - And Cautiously Enter

Then when exiting do the same, Stop - Look Both Ways - Freak Out - And Cautiously Exit

At least people in Wisconsin seem to think that's how they work. Personally I think they are great, as long as no one else is around.

wrath
10-04-2009, 11:11 PM
They're great for drifting in.

Otherwise they suck. Can't wait until winter when they can't be bothered to salt them. Roundabouts are supposed to be like bowls... most of them here are like mounds. Figure it's going to be good for alignment shops.

Two-lane roundabouts aren't bad. When you get the bastard partially 2 lane and 1 lane roundabouts that seem to be popular here it gets tricky. Thankfully I haven't seen any 3 or 4 lane ones here yet.

1320PNY
10-04-2009, 11:13 PM
I was in France in July. Drove through about 100 round a bouts in the first day. Never an issue. Just drive in at the speed limit and everyone corrects in real time. I believe WI issue is the wrong understanding of right of way. In France, everyone thinks they have the right of way!

eltness350
10-04-2009, 11:13 PM
they r a worthless waste of money.....and how people drive on them makes me avoid them if possible...

MurphysLaw88GT
10-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Love em at non-peak traffic periods. Hate them during rush hour. I hate catching a red light at 1:00AM when I am the only person in a 1 mile area. Roundabouts fix that. Hate roundabouts at 5:00PM when every jerk on a phone swarms to them. They might as well station a tow truck and a broom guy there at rush hour.

lordairgtar
10-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Love em at non-peak traffic periods. Hate them during rush hour. I hate catching a red light at 1:00AM when I am the only person in a 1 mile area. Roundabouts fix that. Hate roundabouts at 5:00PM when every jerk on a phone swarms to them. They might as well station a tow truck and a broom guy there at rush hour.
Yeah, they should put in cell phone jammers at all roundabouts. I enjoy them. Great for seeing just how fast you can go before the tires start squealing.

DRK
10-04-2009, 11:34 PM
personally i think they are great, as long as no one else is around.

qft!

RanJer
10-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I like them but dumbass people don't know how to use them so therefore i hate them.

this.

Al
10-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Easy poll question......Roundabouts like or hate them ???

You've taken a yes and no question and expanded it into 4 possible answers, three of which have a positive outcome.

I vote yes.

pOrk
10-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Love them, no stop is the best

DoubleAron
10-05-2009, 06:42 AM
I guess they are not really a big deal either way to me but what bugs me is all the signs. Each one has like 20+ signs and that just looks like crap.

Anakonda69
10-05-2009, 06:57 AM
they suck. cause more traffic then before. i saw the moorland road one the other day as i was heading 43 north that the exit for moorland road was backed up well beyond the exit lane on the freeway and was causing people on the freeway n the right lane to be affected by all the line of cars.

Karps TA
10-05-2009, 06:59 AM
I love them. And even if I happen to have somebody clueless in front of me, it's still faster then waiting for a light.

Plus they are an absolute blast to drive thru in my TA.

michelle
10-05-2009, 07:04 AM
I don't go through them often enough that it affects me. I do hate driving through them towing the car trailer though. And I have seen semi's not having a good time either.

y2kws6
10-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Overseas has a lot of them and are great to go through. In England they have about a 5' hump in the middle, the taxi drivers go straight through them (We were doing approximately 85 mph at the time). They also have very little to no signage for them over there since they have had them for years.

They will become more and more popular as time goes on.

Dan

Goat Roper
10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Like them. This also may be the most evenly distributed poll I have seen on BCM

juicedimpss
10-05-2009, 08:42 AM
I like the idea of them,just hate that some people are retards and cant understand how to merge into/out of them.

Exitspeed
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
If you live in the New Berlin area you love'em. If not you probably don't. They have helped the congestion at on Mooreland so much it's crazy.

cyclone70
10-05-2009, 11:32 AM

x2

Go to Europe and they are all over

97z2801ss
10-05-2009, 12:15 PM

QTFT:thumbsup

Car Guy
10-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Like them or hate them everybody better get familiar with them because they will be everywhere before you know it. I good friend of my wife is a high ranking civil engineer for the WI-DOT and she told us there are plans to place them wherever it is possible. She also told us that MILLIONS of $$$ were spent researching them over a 20 year period and they are scientifically proven to be more efficient versus a traditional intersection with stop signs or lights.....

TheRX7Project
10-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I was at the DMV today, and on their $2000 flat panel TV's they had a thing about how to navigate a roundabout lol...

IT'S NOT THAT HARD!

Rocket Power
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
If you live in the New Berlin area you love'em. If not you probably don't. They have helped the congestion at on Mooreland so much it's crazy.

Unless you ant to get off on moorland from the freeway. Or some ass tries to merge into your car. They are a stupid waste of money

Anakonda69
10-05-2009, 04:52 PM
i drive thru the new berlin ones very often and i think it's more congested then ever there.

lordairgtar
10-05-2009, 05:08 PM
I was at the DMV today, and on their $2000 flat panel TV's they had a thing about how to navigate a roundabout lol...

IT'S NOT THAT HARD!
Was the narration in Spanish?

TheRX7Project
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
No, it wasn't. Then again I was at the Southwest center on 55th and Grange. If I was at the one on Chase Ave I'd expect it to be ONLY in Spanish.

UnderPSI
10-05-2009, 05:14 PM
They need to be bigger around so people have more time to see what's coming to give them more reaction time. The one on moreland backs up the freeway a mile every day so every day they have to pay a state trooper to direct traffic. DUMB! Glad we are paying for that guy with our taxes. They are way to small. I had to go through it with a trailer with some 50' poles on the back and almost wiped the hood right off the car that tried to come around with me.

946speedz
10-05-2009, 06:20 PM
they are really fun on a motorcycle ;)

Reverend Cooper
10-05-2009, 06:59 PM
roundabouts are great when people know what the hell they are doing.Out here the cops dont even know how to use them.

Waver
10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
roundabouts are pointless.....too many idiots stopping in the middle of it like there is a friggin stoplight

SmokinRAM114
10-06-2009, 07:19 PM

are you serious?:confused the one on moreland causes a god damn traffic jam backed up to layton every day because of all the traffic on moreland no one can get off! maybe moreland cleared up but all it did was create a larger problem on the freeway! :fire out of the 10 times iv been around one i have seen probly 7 accidents.

SmokinRAM114
10-06-2009, 07:21 PM
They need to be bigger around so people have more time to see what's coming to give them more reaction time. The one on moreland backs up the freeway a mile every day so every day they have to pay a state trooper to direct traffic. DUMB! Glad we are paying for that guy with our taxes. They are way to small. I had to go through it with a trailer with some 50' poles on the back and almost wiped the hood right off the car that tried to come around with me.

missed this, 100% agree!!!

ND4SPD
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't really care about roundabouts one way or the other... the other "traffic calming" features like the little mini roundabouts they put on residential streets that we can't maneuver our fire trucks around piss me off more. I usually try to make sure to leave a nice dually patch right through the planted flowers whenever I see one.

stealthy1ss
10-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I like them but they only work in moderate traffic areas. One time I saw a lady on mooreland make a right turn into the roundabout and she drove right up on the circle as soon as she saw the ready-mix truck coming right at her. :rolf

0TransAm0
10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
i like em.. as long as the asshole in front of doesn't STOP at the YIELD sign... its not a fukin stop sign you jacka$$..

Waver
10-06-2009, 08:48 PM
i like em.. as long as the asshole in front of doesn't STOP at the YIELD sign... its not a fukin stop sign you jacka$$..

Well that is one of the things that I hate about them, how about the jack ass that stops in the circle?

lordairgtar
10-06-2009, 11:15 PM
It is if there are cars in the roundabout. Not the easiest place to merge.

Anakonda69
10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
went by moorland road exit roundabout and again today traffic backed up onto the freeway a good 1/2 mile up the ramp. things are working wonders!! lol

Karps TA
10-07-2009, 11:21 AM
They just made that Moorland one too small. In reality I think the biggest issue is that there are 2 business parks there forcing too many trucks thru them. They should have created a business bypass or something.

British_Ben
10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Roundabouts are a great idea and really effective. Problem is that they are relatively new here. In England, people bitch when stop lights are installed at a new intersection instead of a roundabout because it causes traffic backups. It's the opposite problem to here.

Sounds like the one by the freeway off ramp on Moorland is poorly designed.

0TransAm0
10-07-2009, 05:12 PM
It is if there are cars in the roundabout. Not the easiest place to merge.

not really.. depends on where the cars are... most people stop when no cars at all are in the area.. i go threw one every day on my way to work. in racine.. most of the time its nice and easy.. its just that random jackass that has to stop and let 20 cars go when he had 15 times to go himself that fuks it all up......

Old Dog
10-07-2009, 09:35 PM
The ones on Moorland road are too small. A semi with a full size trailer needs 2 lanes to navigate through them. Not safe if you are next to one of these. As far as traffic backing up onto the freeway, the DOT obviously messed up in their planning. I can't see them blocking off lanes and sending a cop out there every day to direct traffic like they are doing now. So what's the solution?.....adding traffic lights to the roundabout!!!