PDA

View Full Version : My new toy

Graystone
10-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Well it is not all new but I got a new scope for my 30-06 it is a Burris Fullfield II 4.5X-14X-42mm. I have been putting off using my 30-06 because the scope that was on it when I got it was a 1.5X-4 so I might as well used iron sights. I still have to bore sight it and then actually get out and sight it in. My plan is to get it sighted in at 300yds. I have my bi pod ordered too.

The gun is a Remington Model 742. 150th anniversary model. Bought new in 1966 by my grandfather hence the relic of a scope on it before. Looking for some flip up scope caps too.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs280.snc1/10717_1159407984455_1205452606_30444925_2684071_n. jpg

MurphysLaw88GT
10-03-2009, 11:24 PM
What kind of scope was the "relic" one?

Graystone
10-03-2009, 11:34 PM
bushnell banner II 1.5x-4x

STANMAN
10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
If that gun has sentimental value, don't shoot it. The 742 has an internal rail system that the bolt rides on that slams it into the reciever gouging it every time you fire it. After about 500 rounds (this varies with every gun, but does eventually happen to ALL 742's) the gun will jam on every shot.

Also if you want to shoot that thing at 300 yards, get rid of the see through mounts. Shooting a 742 at 300 is a big enough chore, you don't need the added complication of see throughs. To try to explain: Think of how high the scope is over the bore, now draw a straight line coming out of the bore and another straight line coming out of the scope, see how far away they would be and how much you would have to adjust the scope "down" to get the paths to cross? Now lower the scope in some non see through mounts and do the same thing.

Just trying to help.

Graystone
10-04-2009, 12:19 PM
If that gun has sentimental value, don't shoot it. The 742 has an internal rail system that the bolt rides on that slams it into the reciever gouging it every time you fire it. After about 500 rounds (this varies with every gun, but does eventually happen to ALL 742's) the gun will jam on every shot.

Also if you want to shoot that thing at 300 yards, get rid of the see through mounts. Shooting a 742 at 300 is a big enough chore, you don't need the added complication of see throughs. To try to explain: Think of how high the scope is over the bore, now draw a straight line coming out of the bore and another straight line coming out of the scope, see how far away they would be and how much you would have to adjust the scope "down" to get the paths to cross? Now lower the scope in some non see through mounts and do the same thing.

Just trying to help.

I could not use the see through mounts if I wanted too. The scope covers most of it

94greenbandit
10-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I could not use the see through mounts if I wanted too. The scope covers most of it

I think what he is saying is that if you keep the see through mounts you need to raise the scope so they don't interfere with the scope. This makes a longer shot needing more adjustment because the scope's line of trajectory is higher than the barrel. If the iron sights were removed then you could lower the scope, and that would give less adjustment for the scope and barrel lines where they cross

Graystone
10-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I think what he is saying is that if you keep the see through mounts you need to raise the scope so they don't interfere with the scope. This makes a longer shot needing more adjustment because the scope's line of trajectory is higher than the barrel. If the iron sights were removed then you could lower the scope, and that would give less adjustment for the scope and barrel lines where they cross

Yea I know. As of right now I am going to work with what i have. I am planning on getting a bolt action 30-06 in a couple years. Right now my next gun in a revolver I only allow myself to get one gun a year

Coops Brother
10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Stanman is correct, but you can prevent alot of the wear if you keep the action clean and oiled, and I don't mean a wipe down and drenched with oil, I mean dissassembled and cleaned. Also, most of the 742's had a plastic dust cover that helps keep the dust, sand, snow out of the action, unfourtunately most of them also broke and were removed. Buy a new one from Brownell's and have it installed. The 742's kind of earned the self-distruct image, I think because they are so frickin' hard to dissassemble, and so no one ever gave them a good cleaning, so they got dry, gunked up, and wet from snow falling into an action that had no cover on it....wet=rust, and it happens fast. $.02 from a former owner.

Brian

Graystone
10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I took it in to have it cleaned before hunting last year. I did that cus it was the first time it was fired in 20+ years. I usually take my guns in for a good cleaning, more than I feel comfortable doing, every 18 months. It goes through 6 rounds a year. I just cant see having a gun with out shooting it. I plan on hunting with this for a couple years before I buy another gun in a year or two.