PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Number Bed

Holeshot
10-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Anyone have one? What size and how do you like it.

77thor
10-03-2009, 03:49 PM
We have a King-size and love it.
My wife likes very soft(fluffy) mattresses and I like firm, so it works great for us.
We each get what we want. And I do believe that I sleep better on it.

Car Guy
10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
I like the sleep number bed (slept on one many times); however to me a memory foam mattress is the way to go hands down. My back has been fugged up in general most of my life but became a LOT more tolerable ever since we bought ours 4 or so years ago. Not to mention I also sleep better and don’t wake up stiff as a 2x4.....

Holeshot
10-03-2009, 05:19 PM
My problem is I like a firmer mattress

Car Guy
10-03-2009, 05:23 PM
That means your body is stiff as a light pole, you need to jump in a hot tub.....:thumbsup

Holeshot
10-03-2009, 05:26 PM
That means your body is stiff as a light pole, you need to jump in a hot tub.....:thumbsup

No argument there Justin

DCDZ28
10-03-2009, 05:33 PM
We have had one for about 3 years and really like it. I keep my side firm and the wife likes hers soft. Works out very well.

Only complaint is the LCDs on both the remotes we have are going out.

Nix
10-03-2009, 05:59 PM
The wife and I almost got one a few months back but we ultimatley decided to go with the Tempurpedic with an ergo base. We had to get a king cuase' we are use to it and Im 6' 5" so I need the need. I had a spinal surgery 6 years back and haven't slept well since hurting myself. Since sleeping on the tempurpedic it has beet a night and day difference for me. Plus I don't get bothered when she get out of bed or vice versa cause there is not disturbance in the mattress when someone moves on it.

I just didn't like the idea of the chamber on the sleep number popping or the motor burning out/noice when it fills up. It seemed over time there were too many things that could go wrong with it compared to what we ened up getting. Just my 2 cents. :thumbsup

Doc Brown
10-03-2009, 11:34 PM
We have a Nautilus airbed that we've had for at least the last six or seven years. In my opinion, it is better than the Select Comfort beds (at least at that time) because of the stiff, uncomfortable center divider the SCs had to separate the two sides. Today, Select Comfort lives on and Nautilus' beds went out of business, with upgraded replacement parts now available through another company.

We opted for the California King sized mattress, and love it. It happens to be ideal for me because it opts for length over width, unlike a traditional king-sized mattress. The only real problem is that it is difficult finding bedding to fit that particular size in area stores, while traditional king is in abundance everywhere. So if you are short or don't care if your feet hang off the end of the bed for years down the road, stick with a standard king. Otherwise, I'd go with our non-traditional size every time, and just order the bedding online.

FYI, not sure if this is still the case or not, but memory foam inserts may be available with the airbeds. On ours, we could buy a Cal King size layer of memory foam that is zipped up in an area just under the pillowtop, so you can experience the benefit of both the foam and the air bed technologies.

Oh, and be prepared to pay a good amount for your mattress. It cost us over $2000 at the time, and I can only imagine that prices are at least that much now if not higher.

Philly-O
10-03-2009, 11:39 PM
slept on on at a hotel and was probably one on the worst night's sleep we got. maybee the bed was broken, cause the numbers kept changing slowly throughout the night and the division between the two sides of the bed were very noticable. it almost felt like two twin beds were pushed together.

1320PNY
10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Amy and I got ours in 2004. We got the King size model one down from the top available model at the time. I have to say we really have come to rely on this bed for a good nights rest. The benefit is that at different weights you need different amounts of support to keep your spine in alignment. I'm about 265 right now, but I get down in the 240 range from time to time. My numbers go from 100 down to 80. The wife is from 25 up to 45 depending on her side or back sleeping.

Right now she is 20lb heavier due to the pregnancy and the bed is set to 60 on her side. We found that she can just bump the pressure as time goes to remain comfortable through the nine months.

Built well, but completely negotiable on price. I got ours for 900 less than asking price, but I'm a haggler.

wrath
10-04-2009, 11:02 AM
We have a really expensive Sealy Posturpedic. It's got a 10 year warranty and it got retired last month due to body impressions... it's two years old... I'll warranty it when I get a chance. We bought a Chinese memory foam mattress (I forget the brand, but it's definitely chinese like all the others). It's comparable to our expensive Sealy mattress but it feels different. Definitely warmer (I'm already too warm most of the time) and I don't like how you get too close to the edge and it feels like you're going to fall off.

I can sleep on just about anything as long as it's firm. My fat ass needs support as I'm a side-sleeper.

We tried a sleep number. Neither of us liked it. I thought it felt cheap and institutional. She thought it felt like a water bed gone wrong. A bunch of my relatives have them and they've had nothing but problems with the pumps and controllers... but maybe that's been resolved by now.

Car Guy
10-04-2009, 11:05 AM
because of the stiff, uncomfortable center divider the SCs had to separate the two sides.

That is a HUGE gripe I had with the select comfort and you're forced to sleep on 'one side' or the other. There is NO way you can sprawl out right in the middle and be comfortable, which is something I love to do......:sleep

Nix
10-04-2009, 11:05 AM
We have a really expensive Sealy Posturpedic. It's got a 10 year warranty and it got retired last month due to body impressions... it's two years old... I'll warranty it when I get a chance. We bought a Chinese memory foam mattress (I forget the brand, but it's definitely chinese like all the others). It's comparable to our expensive Sealy mattress but it feels different. Definitely warmer (I'm already too warm most of the time) and I don't like how you get too close to the edge and it feels like you're going to fall off.

I can sleep on just about anything as long as it's firm. My fat ass needs support as I'm a side-sleeper.

We tried a sleep number. Neither of us liked it. I thought it felt cheap and institutional. She thought it felt like a water bed gone wrong. A bunch of my relatives have them and they've had nothing but problems with the pumps and controllers... but maybe that's been resolved by now.

Have to tried a Tempurpedic? We also tried the Sealy memory foam mattress and it really wasn't all that comparable to the Tempurpedic. Just a thought. :thumbsup

DR.FORD
10-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Dan, my wife has had two back fusions and uses this type of bed, also it adjusts. Call her at the shop Monday and talk to her. My opinion don't count 'cause I'll sleep on rocks when I'm tired!!:goof

Doc Brown
10-04-2009, 06:07 PM
That is a HUGE gripe I had with the select comfort and you're forced to sleep on 'one side' or the other. There is NO way you can sprawl out right in the middle and be comfortable, which is something I love to do......:sleepthe concern we had about the divider didn't involve sleeping...

Car Guy
10-04-2009, 09:46 PM
the concern we had about the divider didn't involve sleeping...

Am I right by assuming what you mean by that statement...??? :shades

Doc Brown
10-04-2009, 10:30 PM
if what you are thinking of involves a bag of large marshmallows, the game Twister, a tripod-mounted camera and a pirate's hat, then you might be assuming correctly.

:haveabeer: :whip: :hump2: :banana1:

1320PNY
10-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Do it on her side because "it's softer" and never sleep in the wet spot again. There's usually an upside to spending that much money!

lordairgtar
10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Do it on her side because "it's softer" and never sleep in the wet spot again. There's usually an upside to spending that much money!
I can relate to that:thumbsup:rolf:wooo

jon_we4
10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Dan - Chris & Nikki have one in their guest bedroom. It was a little weird, but it seemed pretty nice. From what I remember I liked it.

We have a Beautyrest Black Label mattress. After going all over the place it was the only one that felt soft at first, but was very supportive under the "softness". The memory foam ones felt like quick sand and everything else was too hard or too soft.

animal
10-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Worst bed evar, unless you like that camping air mattress feeling every F$&!ing day.

Exitspeed
10-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I managed Sun Valley/ Bedroom Superstore (until the entire company went under), and also worked at Bedroom Superstore and consider myself an expert when it comes to mattresses.

I could go on for days about this stuff, but more then likely everyone's eyes would glaze over just like people's do in the store when I'd explain things to them.

I'm not a fan of the mattress for a number of reasons. I'm not telling the people that own them they are not comfortable to them, but just why I don't think they are a good buy.

For one they are pretty expensive. Just as expensive or more then a mid to mid-high mattress from any of the Four S's (Simmons, Sealy, Serta, and Stearns and Foster). While that is ok itself let me explain why it is a problem. Above the coils or air things are relatively the same. Convoluted foam, memory foam, etc etc. Below is where things get tricky. In a traditional mattress you obviously have a pretty complex coil system. Whether it's like Simmons Individually Wrapped coils or a more traditional coil unit found int eh rest it's still a lot of steel and a lot of engineering. And in a mattress in the price range of an Air Mattress the coil counts are going to be quit high, like 800-1200. The more coils the more evenly your weight is distributed, yadda yadda yadda. In a air mattress obviously there are no coils. Just air. So there's all that cost that is gone.

"Ah, but Mel the pump is expensive and so are the controllers and that's where the cost comes in".

Yep you are right. The pump costs a lot. Lots of engineering there too. Same goes for the control units. Here's the thing though. You get the bed, and over the first week, maybe few, you adjust the mattress to your liking. And then you keep it there. Because after all that's your number and that's where it's comfortable for you, why would you change it?

So the majority of the money you just spent was spent on a pump that you will hardly ever use any more. Sure everyone once in a while you might ass a little air, but really, you aren't using the pump or controls. The point is you aren't sleeping on the pump or control.

Select Comfort will also tell you of how many of these mattress they have sold to happy customers. After all they do give you a money back guarantee. The deal there though is that think about the people that would order these from a TV commercial. They are usually older folks, and if you want to return the mattress, guess what, they make YOU box it back up and send it in. What person, young or old is going to bother going through that BS to return the mattress? People will just accept it and get used to it.

I also personally think they are just plain weird feeling to lay on ie not comfortable. I know there are people out there will swear by these things but I would recommend against them.

I used to know every brand out there like the back of my hand and could give you a run down of anyone. I've been out of the business now for a good 6 years or so though.

SSLEVO
10-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I slept on one in a hotel a few weeks ago and i wasn't too fond of it. Felt like a big air mattress, the center divider was anoying as well. It wasn't soft and firm at the same time like other beds can be. We just picked up a Simmons beautyrest witha pillow top this weekend. It felt really nice in the store, we can't wait to "try it out" :thumbsup

Got Boost
10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
The center divider is weird ... I have a Vera Wang (Memory Foam) And I like it...

Exitspeed
10-05-2009, 11:30 AM
FYI if you buy a mattress at any place that sells mattress with a X Day Sleep Guarantee, you run the risk of receive a mattress that was already slept on for X amount of days. The manufacturers don't take the mattresses back and the store doesn't just through the thing away.

Not trying to scare anyone, just letting you know.

I personally own a $4000 Simmons World Class. It was their top of the line mattress when I worked at Bedroom Superstore. It was the "first generation" of no-flip mattresses. I was skeptical at first of the durability of the mattress, but I've had it now for 8 years and it's still a great mattress. I'll def. get the 10 years out of it.

A really good mattress can be had though for $1000-$1400 for a Queen.

Car Guy
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Exitspeed (sorry don't know your real name), what are your thoughts on the memory foam mattresses...???

TheRX7Project
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
if what you are thinking of involves a bag of large marshmallows, the game Twister, a tripod-mounted camera and a pirate's hat, then you might be assuming correctly.

:haveabeer: :whip: :hump2: :banana1:
I need my pirate hat back sometime soon please.

Exitspeed
10-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Exitspeed (sorry don't know your real name), what are your thoughts on the memory foam mattresses...???

It's Mel.

Are you talking about all memory foam mattress like Tempurpedic or a mattress that has memory foam in it?

If you are referring to Tempurpedic, then I say pass on those too. The foam DOES do exactly what it says and it WAS developed by NASA, but they are not very comfortable. Lay on one once and then lay on a traditional coil mattress with memory foam in it and you will feel the difference. The Tempurpedic feels like you are laying on a pile of wet cardboard if you can imagine that. Also when you sleep on your side and you want to roll over you have to roll out of this valley that your body has created. The foam does rebound but it's not instantaneous.

Car Guy
10-05-2009, 01:49 PM
If you are referring to Tempurpedic, then I say pass on those too. The foam DOES do exactly what it says but they are not very comfortable. Lay on one once and then lay on a traditional coil mattress with memory foam in it and you will feel the difference. The Tempurpedic feels like you are laying on a pile of wet cardboard if you can imagine that. Also when you sleep on your side and you want to roll over you have to roll out of this valley that your body has created. The foam does rebound but it's not instantaneous.

With all due respect I have to disagree with you, I've had one for almost ten years and love it.....:)

badass88gt
10-05-2009, 01:58 PM
"And remember, I said WITH ALL DUE RESPECT" lol

Ive been reading reviews of the Sleep Number myself and it seems a big complaint is the divider int the center.

Exitspeed
10-05-2009, 02:10 PM
With all due respect I have to disagree with you, I've had one for almost ten years and love it.....:)

That's perfectly fine. You are entitled to your opinion. As am I.

I'd have people lay on one (we had one as an example) and then lay on a regular mattress, and I never once (and that is not an exaggeration) had someone tell me they thought the Temperpedic was more comfortable.

There's a perfect mattress out there for everyone. My dad still sleeps on a waterbed. He won't sleep on anything else.

I'm just not a fan.

The mattress world hasn't changed all that much recently. Things are pretty much the same as they were 10 years ago. The last major change was when Simmons switched to non-flip mattresses and everyone followed shortly after. It was great for the manufacturers but bad for consumers IMO. You got half the amount of material, but the same price. Kinda shitty.

Car Guy
10-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd have people lay on one (we had one as an example) and then lay on a regular mattress, and I never once (and that is not an exaggeration) had someone tell me they thought the Temperpedic was more comfortable. .

That's really hard for me to believe, I know numerous people that are in love with them......

Exitspeed
10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
That's really hard for me to believe, I know numerous people that are in love with them......

I have no reason to lie about it. I don't sell them anymore. Just sayin.

Also, I did sell a product that was identical. I never talked anyone out of it that wanted to buy one. In all those years I never sold one. At least not one that didn't have a pillow top to boot.