PDA

View Full Version : bowling

Anakonda69
10-03-2009, 03:43 AM
shot a personal best of 751 tonight. games were 279-240-232. first game should have been a 300 but left a ringing 10 pin.

Car Guy
10-03-2009, 07:38 AM
VERY nice, have to love those 10 pins......:flipoff2:

kornholio788
10-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Nice set. My personal record is 750 something.

twicks69
10-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Damn nice series! I have been doing terrible since State in April. I was doing mid 600 series sets at State, and haven't even had a 600 in leagues yet this year. Absolutely horrible....

I hope I can do a 700+ series sooner or later.

DirtyMax
10-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Nice series, man! Which house?

279 doesn't hurt nearly as bad as a pocket 8-10 for 298... :chair:

I was a lot better bowler 5 years ago than I am now and I actually bowl more now that I did then... oh well.

Anakonda69
10-03-2009, 11:32 AM
country lanes in franklin. i bowl on a traveling league. we bowl at a different house every night and switch lanes after each game. makes it a lil more interesting. that 279 last night is the only near 300 i had where every ball was in the 1-3 pocket. i didn't miss the 1-3 for the first 18 or so frames. just a few different angles.

GRAMPS SS
10-03-2009, 01:00 PM
shot a personal best of 751 tonight. games were 279-240-232. first game should have been a 300 but left a ringing 10 pin.

nice rolling....Sean said congrats as well..:thumbsup

you have any 300's as of yet...???

now we all have to get together as roll....Sean starts his traveling leauge tomorrow...looks like 6 days out of 7 he will be bowling again...:headbang

theavenger333
10-03-2009, 02:07 PM
ringing corner pin is better then a fast 8 or 9. i've left one of each for 279 so far. 720 high this year, but i've done it 3 times.

Anakonda69
10-03-2009, 05:11 PM
nope no 300's yet. plenty of 279's and high game of 290. spare in the first and 11 in a row. i have been bowling for about 8 years now. need some new equipment though. i shot that last night using a first edition of the amf nighthawk. lol

Car Guy
10-03-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm the same way; no 300s but more 250+ games than I can remember, I call myself the Dan Marino of bowling.....:goof

Anakonda69
10-03-2009, 05:22 PM
i bowl with a guy who just turned 69. bowled for 50 years before he got his first 300. now i believe he has 5 or 6. he also went 50 years with no 700's. he has i think 2 or 3 800's but didn't have any 700's. now he gets 700's like nothing. life is funny. 300's are about luck moreso then skill.

Car Guy
10-03-2009, 05:36 PM
300's are about luck moreso then skill.

That is the troof, well, for the most part.....:)

animal
10-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Nice series. Near identical scores to the 769 i shot as a personal best cept mine was a 288 first game. We just had a female roll 300 in one of my leagues this week. First one I ever saw a lady roll. I also watched a guy finish his third game with a 299 for the 799 series. What a kick in the balls that musta been.

theavenger333
10-04-2009, 02:30 AM
That is the troof, well, for the most part.....:)

i've got 8 300s, 789 is my high series. i'd trade all 8 for the 800. no questions asked. if i make it to the 10th i've always finished.... but i've got so many 279s and 290s it's not funny. especially at college tournaments, i shot 279 4 times in a 20 game span at ACUI in like 2003. i felt like such a tool

kornholio788
10-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I was 19 when I got my 300 under my belt. No 800s sadly. But me and my partner hold a 598 1 game series. I shot the 300. He shot the 298. He has like 20 300s and a bunch of 800s too lol. Just didn't fall. I haven't touched a ball in like 2 years though sadly. Come to think of it my gear/300 ball is still at my home lanes in the basement.

Anakonda69
10-04-2009, 10:40 PM
i could never give it up. i love bowling

kornholio788
10-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Well at 20 I started bowling in the adult leages. My home lanes is Sheridan lanes in Kenosha. If you don't know that league carried about 5 hall of fame bowlers and some of the best bowlers in the area. You would see at least 1 300 a week there and ussually a 800. It was fun but super competitive. I used to bowl 6-7 days a week. Highschool bowling was the most fun. I led my team back to back state championships. Along with coaching the girls team for a bit. But after that it just wasn't as fun to me anymore. I dunno. Part of me wants to get back into it. But part not.

Car Guy
10-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Part of me wants to get back into it. But part not.

I can relate, for me I was bowling too often (multiple leagues) and it burned the enjoyment clear out of me. It wasn't something to look forward to anymore and seemed more like a job than what it should be. I then took a few years off and started again with one league but then before I knew it became two and also filling in for a third every other week. I could tell the same thing was happening and before I completely walked away from the game I stepped back once again......

My biggest gripe about bowling in traditional winter leagues is how often you are required to bowl. EVERY week for 30+ weeks in a row can get old very quick. I know there are many reasons why they are setup like that but I don't necessarily agree with them.....

cyclone70
10-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Shot 245-247-193 last night. 2x solid 8-10 splits in the third game !!!

cyclone70
10-05-2009, 10:04 AM
My home lanes is Sheridan lanes in Kenosha.

I bowled there several years ago and even lived in the house across from the there on 80th street .

kornholio788
10-05-2009, 10:36 AM
I can relate, for me I was bowling too often (multiple leagues) and it burned the enjoyment clear out of me. It wasn't something to look forward to anymore and seemed more like a job than what it should be. I then took a few years off and started again with one league but then before I knew it became two and also filling in for a third every other week. I could tell the same thing was happening and before I completely walked away from the game I stepped back once again......

My biggest gripe about bowling in traditional winter leagues is how often you are required to bowl. EVERY week for 30+ weeks in a row can get old very quick. I know there are many reasons why they are setup like that but I don't necessarily agree with them.....

Wow you pretty much just told my life story. It happened almost exactly like that for me. It turned into a job and I didn't want to go anymore.

Got expensive too. It was like 17 a week or something like that for 3 games. Plus I would ussually get into the blind doubles that was set up. Plus you would end up buying a round. You would drop 30 bucks a week if you didn't win the blind doubles. May not be alot to some but that is 120/mo. Thats gas money! lol. Adds up quick.

Anakonda69
10-05-2009, 11:38 AM
eh i enjoy every moment of it. the league i bowl in has been around for 35+ years. my dad has bowled in it for 25 years. we are almost like a family. we bowl city and state tournaments together. some even do nationals together. willow creek. i do want to pick up another league soon. i bowl summer league at amf west allis on hwy. i used to bowl 4 days a week and yeah it did get old after a season plus my wife put the ax to that theory so. i agree too much of anything is bad. moderation is a good thing.

Car Guy
10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Got expensive too. It was like 17 a week or something like that for 3 games. Plus I would ussually get into the blind doubles that was set up. Plus you would end up buying a round. You would drop 30 bucks a week if you didn't win the blind doubles. May not be alot to some but that is 120/mo. Thats gas money! lol. Adds up quick.

I was spending at least $120 per WEEK on leagues including related 'activities'. I was fortunate to win $$$ (pot games - high games and series) almost every night to offset the costs but it still was a LOT of money just for bowling......

i agree too much of anything is bad. moderation is a good thing.

As with MANY things in life......:thumbsup

gottwins?
10-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Wow you pretty much just told my life story. It happened almost exactly like that for me. It turned into a job and I didn't want to go anymore.

I agree also, paying 20 bucks a day for leagues when you can go on tuesday at south park bowling lanes and get $1 Tuesdays (shoes and games) does not make sense to me, but I do miss the competitiveness when I played for varsity in high school.

Car Guy
10-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I agree also, paying 20 bucks a day for leagues when you can go on tuesday at south park bowling lanes and get $1 Tuesdays (shoes and games) does not make sense to me.

South Park = SHITHOLE!!!

I wouldn't throw my own equipment down those lanes if it was free..... :punch:

Anakonda69
10-05-2009, 03:20 PM
South Park = SHITHOLE!!!

x2

gottwins?
10-05-2009, 04:38 PM
South Park = SHITHOLE!!!

Ive thrown all 3 of my $150 bowling balls down those lanes through high school, leagues and tournaments and never had a problem? I would rather go there than Olympic lanes, I got my shoes stolen there before :loser

gottwins?
10-05-2009, 04:39 PM
*double post -_-*

DirtyMax
10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Any AMF house is a dump. They all have dinosaurs in the pit that eat your bowling balls. That's what happens when you have high school kids preparing the lanes and maintaining the equipment.

Anakonda69
10-05-2009, 04:47 PM
high school? more like middle school. i only bowl there in summer leagues cuz it's a sanctioned league. hard to find snactioned summer leagues.plus alot of my buddies bowl there too. my friday league is trying to cut out amfs as much as possible.

theavenger333
10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Any AMF house is a dump. They all have dinosaurs in the pit that eat your bowling balls. That's what happens when you have high school kids preparing the lanes and maintaining the equipment.

now there's a terrible statment. there were 5 of us that ran the pits at Echo Bowl for about 9 years, and tons long before then. IF anything went wrong with equipment, (which was rare) it had nothing to do with us being young. AMF houses are dumps because they try to squeeze pennies out of everything. if they're Brunswick setters, they do'nt put carpet strips on the wheels, they use hard rubber, and not enough of them. on top of that, they never vaccuum under shakerboards, and thats where the damage comes from 99% of the time.

DirtyMax
10-05-2009, 07:03 PM
^^ You're right I should have rephrased. The kids who they hire nowadays anywhere, not just at AMF, don't give a crap. It isn't just because they were young. It was because nobody gives a shit about the lanes as long as little Tommy is there enjoying his 5th birthday and his mom is buying $20 frozen pizzas...

GRAMPS SS
10-05-2009, 07:48 PM
high school? more like middle school. i only bowl there in summer leagues cuz it's a sanctioned league. hard to find snactioned summer leagues.plus alot of my buddies bowl there too. my friday league is trying to cut out amfs as much as possible.

have to come out to CLASSIC FALLS for summer...heard they are doing summer leagues and trying to do the PBA experience...and before you say it on how they can lay down a PBA pattern...check out the machine they have at classic....the other houses in town are :drool::drool: over what Gary has...you know him...nothing but the best$$$$$$$$$$$...

your right about expense..granted Sean is just in sat leauge...then sunday traveling leauge...then on top of that...tournaments at 40-60 a pop...plus gold membership and 25.00 on top of the tournament fee to roll and try to get gold to go to indy in july for a week....and if you don't get it that week...25 on top of the next weeks to get it....and equipment nowadays...dammmmmmmmm the kid has 6 balls and only one is under 100.00 and is used only for spares....and the others...150.00 is not close....i need a second job to keep him in the sport he loves...he's not up there with you guys YET..but give him some time...his average is 189 right now and climbing...then soon he will roll you guys , and keep up....
i don't see him getting tired of it..i could leave him in an ally all day and he would want to go back for more the next day.....

GRAMPS SS
10-05-2009, 07:56 PM

AMF SUCKS...i'm sorry but they do...everytime with school and touraments and they are at AMF houses..seans bowls get fucked up...and they don't care...so now when he has to bowl there...he thows his Tropical Storm and his PLASTIC.THATS IT..I'LL REPLACE THEM...BUT NOT HIS RATTLER,MAXX ZONE.COOPERHEAD OR HIS SIEGE.........screw AMF.....Holiday...close 2nd...

theavenger333
10-06-2009, 01:47 AM
AMF SUCKS...i'm sorry but they do...everytime with school and touraments and they are at AMF houses..seans bowls get fucked up...and they don't care...so now when he has to bowl there...he thows his Tropical Storm and his PLASTIC.THATS IT..I'LL REPLACE THEM...BUT NOT HIS RATTLER,MAXX ZONE.COOPERHEAD OR HIS SIEGE.........screw AMF.....Holiday...close 2nd...

man wayne you don't even know... when i was rolling in the sunday travel, you wouldn't believe some of the stuff we ran across

GRAMPS SS
10-06-2009, 07:43 PM
^^^^^your prob right...but from what i have seen with the houses he's bowling and now traveling...those two houses suck the most....and i just can't afford to pay for there fuck ups..cause AMF will not replace balls anymore, and some of the fix jobs i have seen suck even more.....he goes to new berlin bowl..great house...another fine house gary has built....

anyone ever hit Cedar Lanes during there school years or now...

DirtyMax
10-06-2009, 07:48 PM
My buddies and I joined a league at the Knights of Columbus in Stallis because it was pretty central for all of us. Small little 12 lane house but it's OK. My only gripe is that most of the league is a bunch of older fellas and as I found out last week, they were not a fan of the jukebox playing during bowling... someone had the employee turn the speakers off right after I pumped a few bucks into it... :rolleyes:

GRAMPS SS
10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
^^^^^^as in high school bowling..and sat league and tournaments....no tunes...wtf...not like it's going to ruin there train of thought during bowling...most of them are in there zone and block it out anyways....when i take Sean practicing i have the new mp3 boxes they have at some houses playing...he doesn't hear a thing once he starts to bowl..

GRAMPS SS
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
we need to set up bowling with this crappy weather we are starting to get...Sean wants me to get a ball....we'll have to see...so many to choose from....need an all around ball..not going to have 6 (right now) like him...i don't need that..

Anakonda69
10-06-2009, 08:24 PM
i carry 6 with me. i haven't bought a ball in 4 years i need a new spare ball for sure and prolly gonna get a new performance ball as well. wayne what kind of oiler does gary have out at the falls? better then a phoenix?

Car Guy
10-06-2009, 08:44 PM
we need to set up bowling with this crappy weather we are starting to get...Sean wants me to get a ball....we'll have to see...so many to choose from....need an all around ball..not going to have 6 (right now) like him...i don't need that..

Wayne unless you have bowled before I highly suggest starting off with an el-cheapo plastic ball, yes you heard me right, a plastic ball. Many people will tell you different but one needs to crawl before walking and that will eventually lead you to running. For many years when I first started bowling I started off using plastic house balls and it forced me to throw the ball exactly where it needed to go. That led me to understand the game of bowling before worrying about anything else. I truly feel too many people don't have the basic skills needed to put the ball where it needs to go and that's why they don't score consistently. There is so much more than just throwing a ball and cranking the shit out of it, however too many people so easily get caught up in the WOW factor of a massive hook and only focus on that.....:rolleyes:

If you have bowled before and want a call that moves get something on the tame side. I think way too many people throw far too large of a hook and it hurts them more than helping. Most people look at how I throw the ball and are amazed that I can throw strikes like I do; but once again it's all about knowing the game first, your equipment second, and finally how/where to throw the ball......

All this talk about bowling has really lit the fire in me to get out and shoot a few games. If anyone is up for meeting tonight send me a PM, I need to knock the rust off......:banana1:

GRAMPS SS
10-06-2009, 09:24 PM
i use to bowl all the time since high school.......3 nights a week till i got hurt in 1998 and had surgery on my arm...back then i was useing a yellow dot and a johnny petraglia and a plastic...i throw second arrow and let it curve in...not as much hand as the kid has..but still a little...i was thinking maybe a avalanche and have it drilled alittle more aggressive or maybe a virtual gravity....sean wants someone to pratice with so i fig i give it a shot and see if the arm will hold up...and then come summer join a adult youth leauge with him...going to the pro shop tomorrow to have a look see and chat with seans driller....

theavenger333
10-07-2009, 01:10 AM
he goes to new berlin bowl..great house...another fine house gary has built......

yes new berlin is a nice house..... but Gary definatly didn't build it. nor does he own it.. classic greenfield and classic falls

Anakonda69
10-07-2009, 06:56 AM
actually i believe gary did help install the lanes at new berlin bowl. any place in town that upgrades usually has gary help with the install.

theavenger333
10-07-2009, 01:01 PM
oh well yeah thats just one of his deals, its what he used to do, i don't quite consider that building a house.... overseeing some of the laydown

DirtyMax
10-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Wayne unless you have bowled before I highly suggest starting off with an el-cheapo plastic ball, yes you heard me right, a plastic ball.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think he would need the biggest hook monster out there but I think you at least want something with some surface on it, as well as some sort of offset weight block in it. Something in the Storm Tropical or Brunswick Avalanche lines come to mind.

Throwing plastic down and in trying to hit the 1-3 would get old... fast.

Car Guy
10-07-2009, 03:06 PM
I respectfully disagree. I don't think he would need the biggest hook monster out there but I think you at least want something with some surface on it, as well as some sort of offset weight block in it. Something in the Storm Tropical or Brunswick Avalanche lines come to mind.

Throwing plastic down and in trying to hit the 1-3 would get old... fast.

Yes it would get 'old' (watch that word around Wayne :goof ) real fast but you learn so much more by starting out that way. I still have my last 'full time' plastic ball which is now occasionally used for spares and I can still throw an impressive game with it if I have to. The point I'm trying to make is you WILL be a better bowler in the long run if you learn the game slowly and take the harder road, it's not always the most exciting road but it’s well worth it.....:)

Anakonda69
10-07-2009, 03:25 PM
i agree with dirty. i started of with a plastic ball which i now use for corner pins and it was horrific once i got a resin ball. i would start with some moderation but definitely with some that will move. i didn't make big strides in my game until i had the ability to move myself and the ball around the alley and see what worked. plastic doesn't really give you that option. i guess it all depends on your learning curve as well. i used to bowl with no thumb so maybe thats why throwing a straight up plastic ball with a fingertip 3 fingered grip was almost like going backwards for me.

DirtyMax
10-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I also went from walking into the place with 6 different bowling balls to leaving 1 or 2 at the 3 different places I bowl. I figure between the 2 of those balls, I should be able to find something I can get to the pocket with. If not, then it's user error, LOL. I believe bowling is 90% mental...

Plastic is for spares nowadays IMO. They're putting too much out there to combat the "hook in a box" balls

GRAMPS SS
10-07-2009, 06:42 PM
oh well yeah thats just one of his deals, its what he used to do, i don't quite consider that building a house.... overseeing some of the laydown

Gary got right down with the rest of the crew for new berlin...did the same at falls classic...was there just about every other day while they tore that place apart and rebuilt...and Gary was right thee getting his hands dirty like the rest of the crew...and if it wasn't done right...he would rip it out and make em do it again right....so i would say he built the falls...and with what i saw and have heard...he did as much at new berlin as well..

either way...he does great work....and the falls is unbelievable....going tonight to watch the money bowlers...