PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Wood Floors

03CVLX
10-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Does anyone here know how to or refinish Hard wood floors or done them before. I am getting ready to repaint my room and have hardwood floors that are getting pretty rough IMO. What steps would need to be done? Anyone possibly interested in giving me a hand doing the work. I don't have a ton of spare money right now so if its a costly process I might need to skip it for now. Any info is appreciated.

Forgot to add: If anyone has had a reputable reasonably priced contractor do this work can you reply or PM me contact info for an estimate.

Thanks, Tom

wrath
10-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Last time I priced having someone refinish a hardwood floor it was around $6/sqft. I ended up ripping it out and putting in 5" wide pre-finished Hickory for the same price.

I've refinished before but it sucks. It's not that expensive if you do it yourself but between sanding, finish sanding, cleaning, urethaning, sanding, cleaning, urethaning, cleaning, and urethaning... you're without your room for an entire week. Plus the smell now that it's not summer.

Al
10-03-2009, 02:44 AM
It's worth it if your original lumber is something special such as quilted maple or figured oak. If not, new floors might be your best bet.

fly5150
10-03-2009, 07:01 AM
if the floors are not severely damaged, it is fairly easy to re-finish. I did parts of my current house my self. spent about $100 and took a few days from sanding with multiple grits, and then staining and finish.

Max 93
10-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Last time I priced having someone refinish a hardwood floor it was around $6/sqft. I ended up ripping it out and putting in 5" wide pre-finished Hickory for the same price.

I've refinished before but it sucks. It's not that expensive if you do it yourself but between sanding, finish sanding, cleaning, urethaning, sanding, cleaning, urethaning, cleaning, and urethaning... you're without your room for an entire week. Plus the smell now that it's not summer.

thats way too high. Should cost half that

lordairgtar
10-03-2009, 04:40 PM
You can rent power sanders for the floor and there are probably sites online to show you how.
http://www.ehow.com/how_1856_refinish-hardwood-floor.html

4eyedstang
10-03-2009, 05:06 PM
its not that hard of a do it yourself project.you can rent a drum sander and a edger for around $60-$80 a day and if your ambitious enough you could even get away with a 4 hour rental
here's a few tips.

do not start with the most aggressive sand paper(red) unless your floors a severely scratch or damaged. if its just to shine them up and refinish them you probably only need the fine grit

throw on a couple coats of sander sealer with a mole hair paint roller.
more for a darker look less for a lighter look

a couple coats of polyurethane and your done and it will cost you less than$200

Stangman98
10-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Great info. I was wondering the same. We have original hardwood under the carpet that I want to refinish

03CVLX
10-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Sorry for the delay guys. I've been busy spackling and taping trying to get this room ready for paint. This is great info, I think I am gonna end up having to wait till spring to tackle the wood floors due to the smell and not being able to leave the windows open 24/7.

Thanks again for all the info.