PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NOT to get olympics

07ROUSHSTG3
10-02-2009, 10:54 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/10154098/Chicago-loses-in-bid-to-host-2016-Olympics?GT1=39002

not sure if this is good or bad. would have been neat to say it was so close, and maybe even go watch an event or two, but for you guys, i imagine your life would be hell for the duration!?!?

thoughts?

4eyedstang
10-02-2009, 11:06 AM
another check mark in the fail category for Obama.

i would have been cool to go see the games, but with Chicago's 9 billion dollar budget short fall how would they even build the venue.

Car Guy
10-02-2009, 11:06 AM
I was hoping it would be in Chicago because of the economic impact here in Milwaukee, albeit temporary......

Prince Valiant
10-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Didn't want it, not going to miss it one bit...Olympics are hell holes. Ever see the remnants of the Atlanta Olympics?

On economic terms, I'm not a fan of Olympics either...it redirects much local investment capital that could be better applied elsewhere to longer lasting/sustaining investments.

Neal Steffek
10-02-2009, 11:17 AM
I am so happy it is not in Chicago. While it may give a few jobs for a little while, the long term is not good. Look at places that have had the games before, and look now what the building that had the hosted the games are used for. Thats right, nothing.

Car Guy
10-02-2009, 11:18 AM
True but we live in Milwaukee and would mainly benefit from Chicago having the Olympics......

animal
10-02-2009, 11:23 AM
http://www.pissmeoff.info/pics/nelson.jpg

It's funny that the "difference maker" couldn't get it done for Chicago. :rolf

Side note: it'd be prolly the only time I'd have a chance to watch olympic swimming in person. Not that it's all that exciting to most.

Prince Valiant
10-02-2009, 11:26 AM
it'd be prolly the only time I'd have a chance to watch olympic swimming in person. Not that it's all that exciting to most.
Go to Rio!

I'm fairly certain that's where it'll be...

animal
10-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Go to Rio!

I'm fairly certain that's where it'll be...

I will not leave the greatest country on earth just to watch swimming, Sorry :) I like it alot, but not that much. http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj136/rjw915/Smileys/1611.gif

JC70SS
10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
glad! Just a terrorist magnent.

Al
10-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I was dead certain that Chicago would not get it. Besides, the US has hosted the Olympics enough times over the last 30 years.

True but we live in Milwaukee and would mainly benefit from Chicago having the Olympics......

Other than heightend hotel rates (90% of which are not locally owned), the gain would be minimal.

The US tends to not make money from the olympics in the long run.

Karps TA
10-02-2009, 02:10 PM
I think all you needed to do was hold up a picture of the women of Chicago, vs a picture of the women of Rio and I think the decision is pretty damn easy.

Al
10-02-2009, 02:14 PM
I think all you needed to do was hold up a picture of the women of Chicago, vs a picture of the women of Rio and I think the decision is pretty damn easy.

True that! Oprah is a whale again.

Yooformula
10-02-2009, 03:25 PM

+10 rep points for that:goof:thumbsup

07ROUSHSTG3
10-02-2009, 03:33 PM

yeah, the womens' softball and basketball teams will certainly have more eye candy in Rio :rolf.

4eyedstang
10-02-2009, 04:06 PM
after this brilliant speech .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idJ4jB_IZcw

Goat Roper
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
For all the folks who believe that this was some sort of "failure" on Chicago's part or Obama putting in a good word keep in mind that Rio promised $14 billion dollars to hosting the Olympics (more than anyone) and Madrid has 70% of what would have been the Olympic village already completed.

It was all about the money...that and Rio had a great case in that South America has never hosted and the US just had it back in 1996.

This wasn't about personality or speeches or important people, the choice was pretty clear cut.

Neal Steffek
10-02-2009, 05:28 PM
For all the folks who believe that this was some sort of "failure" on Chicago's part or Obama putting in a good word keep in mind that Rio promised $14 billion dollars to hosting the Olympics (more than anyone) and Madrid has 70% of what would have been the Olympic village already completed.

It was all about the money...that and Rio had a great case in that South America has never hosted and the US just had it back in 1996.

This wasn't about personality or speeches or important people, the choice was pretty clear cut.

You do know that by having the games in Rio, means we will be able to watch the games LIVE in prime time, as they are only 2 hours ahead of us. So in a way, we do win. TV makes big time money on having the games in Rio.

Also, as said on TMJ, the IOC didnt want Obama and Opra down there, so it was a slap in the face to them to take there ass home. Many media outlets think Obama screwed Chicago more then anything else. That and the beating death of the student last week also.

In short, there really is no good reason to have the games in Chicago. Not one.

GTSLOW
10-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Good.....

Prince Valiant
10-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Which begs the question, why go to bat then?

That's the thing...Obama went to bat in large part because everyone was so certain it was a dead heat b/w rio and chicago. Obama makes the last second appeal, and chi-town doesn't even survive the first cut.

To me, it tells me two things: 1) Obama read the situation wrong...they believed they were coming in to help tip the tide in chi-towns favor. Heck, one could pluasibly argue that he was coming in to cherry pick a victory. (chi-town wins, Obama looks heroic) 2) Obama's personality or rhetoric doesn't carry as much heft as HE or his handlers thinks it does (this is almost as obvious at this point as stating the sky is blue)...while he's popular, yes...but he doesn't really sway many people.

What I find galling is this: There are now claims (much like Scott echos) that everyone knew it was rio....all along. Okay, then if THIS is true, why would his handlers risk making him look bad putting him in a losing effort? It DOES tarnish his image...and it DOES taint his legacy, whatever that may be. There is no way to spin this into a "good" (despite that, there are some trying).

Goat Roper
10-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Like the saying goes; You don't know if the shit will stick to the wall if you don't try and just maybe it will stick if you throw it harder. They needed a full-out blitz to even attempt to be considered, hence the full court press.

Rio was a lock; way too much money thrown at it for Chicago to compete and we really could not make an argument that it had been too long since the last time we held it. Tokyo suffered from the same issue since it was just in Shanghai (same region) last time around. Madrid had an interesting case though but in the end money and the fact that this has NEVER been in South America prevailed.

Nix
10-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Good. I didn't want the olympics here anyhow and about 90% of the people I have spoke to about this agree that it was going to be nothing but trouble. Also it was hilarious that Obama thought he was going to nail this one down with one of his great speaches and tell how great Chicago is cause' he made it his home and is so proud. So since its his hometown and its so great now the world should have the olympic games there, right? Fuck no!! Dirty ass lake michigan is always a plus to have it there. Lets go swim in some feces everyone!

Goat Roper
10-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't think anyone thought Obama would "lock it down" with his little talk, even Obama with his over abundance of confidence. Far too big of a hill to climb.

Nix
10-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't think anyone thought Obama would "lock it down" with his little talk, even Obama with his over abundance of confidence. Far too big of a hill to climb.

I believe he thought going there and giving his 2 cents would sway peoples decisions. It is what it is and its good that they didn't buy what he was selling cause' it would have just created more issues for that shithole Ill and wasted too much money.

Goat Roper
10-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Pretty good write up on how this all went down; http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/sports/03olympics.html?_r=2&hp

Karps TA
10-02-2009, 07:31 PM
I like that it knocks Chicago down a peg. I hate that shithole city and wish they'd just build a big overpass that allows me to drive right over it without having to deal with it at all.

murdoc158
10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm disappointed. When Salt Lake City hosted the winter games they built all new venues which they are using to this day. The Eiffel Tower was built STRICTLY for the World's Fair and look how that put Paris on the map. There are plenty of good things that come out of these events. I would have loved to have the Olympics right in our backyard. It's not everyday that we can be this close to something of this magnitude. As residents it's unlikely we would need local hotel access. The traffic impact would be minimal in Milwaukee (unless they were chosen to host an event or two). Even then it's only for a week or two. We've dealt with worse with Summerfest/Harley parades.

It was nice to see Obama have to eat some crow for once though.

agent orange acr
10-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Meh, this could have helped many people with jobs, I know the company I worked at made metal frames for platforms for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. So just think if the Olympics were in our backyard I think thier would be alot of small companys that would get work because of thier closeness to Chicago

Prince Valiant
10-03-2009, 01:50 AM
I don't think anyone thought Obama would "lock it down" with his little talk, even Obama with his over abundance of confidence. Far too big of a hill to climb.Again, demonstrably false.

Wasn't it Obama's chief of staff Rahm Emanuel who said to Obama's critics regarding his trip to Denmark: "You know we’ll make sure they get some good seats once Chicago does host the games"; not spoken like a guy who knew it was Rio all along, now is it?

For real, no matter how one slices it, this was a bad move on Obama's part. Stupid for him to enter the fray. Badly misread by him and his handlers. Poor use of his time. Looks bad given all the challenges our uniformed men and women face serving in both Afganistan and Iraq. Looks bad given the further deterioration of the employment market. Overshadows even token victories with negotiations with Iran (which in reality, gained nothing that would have otherwise been demanded by the IAEA...so I don't know why anyone considers it a "concession" much less a victory). Given that it further cements the growing impression that while people like him, they don't listen to him, I don't see how anyone can consider this anything beyond poorly carried out, is beyond me.

HITMAN
10-03-2009, 02:05 AM
Wow, the Messiah couldn't deliver? Shocking...
I wonder what else he won't be able to deliver on...

gottwins?
10-03-2009, 02:31 AM
i think all you needed to do was hold up a picture of the women of chicago, vs a picture of the women of rio and i think the decision is pretty damn easy.

+1 !!!!! Brazilian mamis for the win.

Al
10-03-2009, 02:50 AM
Meh, this could have helped many people with jobs, I know the company I worked at made metal frames for platforms for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. So just think if the Olympics were in our backyard I think thier would be alot of small companys that would get work because of thier closeness to Chicago

But isn't that taxpayer money? If the olymicps get money, who gets cut?

CATNHAT
10-03-2009, 07:44 AM
after this brilliant speech .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idJ4jB_IZcw

I could not stomach too much of that crap, but did notice that MO was really trying to compensate for her lisssspp?

"Where I come from I played sthporths"

Anyone notice that?

Goat Roper
10-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Wasn't it Obama's chief of staff Rahm Emanuel who said to Obama's critics regarding his trip to Denmark: "You know we’ll make sure they get some good seats once Chicago does host the games"; not spoken like a guy who knew it was Rio all along, now is it?

Do you really, honestly think that they would go over there and say anything but something positive? If he had replied "Well our hopes are dim but if we do win we will get him some good seats" it would fly in the face of how to handle such situations. If you are going into a big job interview do you tell them that you know your chances are slim but that you would really like the job? All 4 parties went in the the air of "We are going to win", they had to.

agent orange acr
10-03-2009, 08:56 AM
But isn't that taxpayer money? If the olymicps get money, who gets cut?
so being I worked at a company that made stuff for Vancouver 2010, I got paided by Vancouver Tax payers? If so i don't mind taking money from Canadians.

Karps TA
10-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Jay Leno actually had a funny line last night on this.

Is anyone surprised that Chicago didn't get the Olympics? Chicago never wins in October.

lol