PDA

View Full Version : When are you putting it away?

BoosTT
10-01-2009, 08:12 AM
When are put putting the bike into storeage and what is the normal procedure you do? Such as: tires off the ground, change oil, ect.

This is my first winter with a bike and I'm not sure when I should cancel the insurance. I really hate to miss the last nice day outside.

deuceWI
10-01-2009, 09:39 AM
My bike gets parked when they start throwing salt on the roads. I top off the fuel tank to prevent condensation inside and potential surface rust. And she ends up on stands (I have a center stand, which makes this easy.) I also pull the battery and keep it somewhere semi-warmer. Pulling the battery also helps me avoid the temptation to bring her out on those oddly warm winter days. (Don't want to dirty her up with the salty crap that would inevitably get on the bike.)

Comes out in the spring after a couple good rains wash all the salt away again.

kornholio788
10-01-2009, 02:58 PM
This being my first year with the bike I am gunna park her in the garage when the first salt hits the roads.

My plan is to top it off with fuel. Put a fuel stabalizer in it. Put it on stands to get the tires off the ground. and cover it up. Gunna also take the battery out and bring it inside.

pOrk
10-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Why do you take the battery off the bikes? Just put them on trickle charges and call it a day.

kornholio788
10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't own one. Bringing it inside is free. Money i don't have to spend.

juicedimpss
10-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Why do you take the battery off the bikes? Just put them on trickle charges and call it a day.

depending where the bike is being stored(heated or cold) it makes a difference on battery life.
a battery tender and keeping the battery from freezing goes a long way in getting long service from it.

lilws6
10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I bring it in when they salt. I pull it into the basement and put a battery tender on. throw some stabil witch i'm not using this year. and wait it out til it warms up again. As for the pit bikes they don't get stored there all year machines!

juicedimpss
10-01-2009, 03:20 PM
When are put putting the bike into storeage and what is the normal procedure you do? Such as: tires off the ground, change oil, ect.

This is my first winter with a bike and I'm not sure when I should cancel the insurance. I really hate to miss the last nice day outside.

wash the bike to keep the bare metal from corroding.
air tires up
change oil(s)
top fuel tank and add stabilizer
battery out and set on a tender
cover bike and forget about it till the salt is gone.
:thumbsup

cheap80Z28
10-01-2009, 11:10 PM
these are good pionts, but another tip is to put steel wool inthe exhaust tips to keep the critters from making a home.

1320PNY
10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Change the oil when you put it away. Used oil is acidic in nature and corrosive when moisture is introduced.

Stabil always killed the plugs in the Yami. Fill the gas tank and drain it in spring. Flush some fresh stuff through in the spring.

Battery brought in and kept on wood plank in closet. Trickle charge before replacing.

Raise bike off of tires and suspension if possible. Check fork seals, chain, etc for excessive wear. Doing repairs in the off season is much cheaper.

SSLEVO
10-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Change the oil when you put it away. Used oil is acidic in nature and corrosive when moisture is introduced.

Stabil always killed the plugs in the Yami. Fill the gas tank and drain it in spring. Flush some fresh stuff through in the spring.

Battery brought in and kept on wood plank in closet. Trickle charge before replacing.

Raise bike off of tires and suspension if possible. Check fork seals, chain, etc for excessive wear. Doing repairs in the off season is much cheaper.

The stabil also keeps the carbs from getting all gummed up. I usually put some plastic over the exhaust to keep things from making a nest in there. One year i pulled my sled out from the shed up north and it wouldn't start. Turns out the airbox was packed with frickin acorns, LOL.

Keeping the battery warm is key to making it last.

team beater
10-02-2009, 07:36 PM
funny.....I haven't even brought mine out yet..........2 kids don't fit well on the back of a crotch rocket