PDA

View Full Version : Pooper woes

lordairgtar
09-30-2009, 09:43 PM
My toilet stopped working and I do not know how to fix it. I turned off the water because the thing keeps running and I think either the ball cock or the flapper valve is fucked. Any ideas? Can't afford a plumber and I refuse to deal with the apt. management cuz she just goes on about my "vicious" dog. I think she is crazy.

Reverend Cooper
09-30-2009, 09:45 PM
they are really easy to fix,look in the tank see what style internals you have,go to menards and buy a so to speak overhaul kit for it. it is so easy a caveman can do it

PureSound15
09-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Could be the ring down at the bottom of the tank, too. Sometimes they move 1 cm or so because of the suction, and it will run constantly.

lordairgtar
09-30-2009, 09:49 PM
I went online to some fixit sites and nothing is quite the same as what I got. It's all plastic and I'm afraid if I break something I'm gonna have a flood on my hands and get evicted.

Korndogg
09-30-2009, 09:53 PM
your not going to have a flood if you close the valve and flush the water out of the tank.

GTSLOW
09-30-2009, 09:55 PM
"vicious" dog. I think she is crazy.

:rolf

lordairgtar
09-30-2009, 10:24 PM
your not going to have a flood if you close the valve and flush the water out of the tank.
Already done that. Still worried.

SSLEVO
10-01-2009, 07:58 AM
lol, there are like 3-4 moving parts in a toilet, if you can't fix that step away from your car. Is the flapper not sealing or is the float valve not working?

05caddyext
10-01-2009, 11:33 AM
There are only 2 things that cause a toilet to run. Well maybe 3, (large fat people who just came from taco bell.) Either the flapper isn't sealing. All flappers are the same unless you have a Kohler toilet, they have their own style. All others are universal, may mount slightly different, but are the same. Difference between red and black flapper = red is chlorine resistant. Only other thing is float. Float ball has water in it, set to high so water flows into tube constantly.

Cryptic
10-01-2009, 11:53 AM
that tube is threaded on the bottom. Just remove the nut from the bottom of the tank and take the whole thing out. Replace the who unit for less than 20 bucks. I just did this not too long ago. Home Depo ftw

Replace that grey tube. They sell it as a kit
http://www.toiletseatstyle.com/toilet-parts-diagram.jpg

Korndogg
10-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Already done that. Still worried.

Why are you worried if the valve is off?

juicedimpss
10-01-2009, 12:16 PM
that tube is threaded on the bottom. Just remove the nut from the bottom of the tank and take the whole thing out. Replace the who unit for less than 20 bucks. I just did this not too long ago. Home Depo ftw

Replace that grey tube. They sell it as a kit
http://www.toiletseatstyle.com/toilet-parts-diagram.jpg

yep.
thats definately the easy way.
im no plumber,and i did mine that way....and it even works properly.lol

lordairgtar
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
There are only 2 things that cause a toilet to run. Well maybe 3, (large fat people who just came from taco bell.)
...and just how do fat people cause a toilet to run? They are not sitting on top of the tank. Anyway, I went to my local hardware store and talked to the guy. I explained what was wrong and with the ideas seen here, I think I got it. I bought a flapper valve and replaced it, and now it works fine. I just worry about things way to much and I get carried away with myself. When I was 14, my dad would have me go under the car and do the oil and lube jobs. I stripped the threads on the drain plug on a 283 V8 and dad liked to kill me. Had to get stitches. I beat myself up all the time when I'm about to undertake something I haven't done before. I never had to fix the crapper before. Thanks all for the help and the diagrams.

Korndogg
10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
yay!

wikked
10-01-2009, 05:17 PM
When I was 14, my dad would have me go under the car and do the oil and lube jobs. I stripped the threads on the drain plug on a 283 V8 and dad liked to kill me. Had to get stitches.

Did he know you can get replacement plugs for like $2? :confused

lordairgtar
10-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Sure he did, but that wasn't the point. The point was I fucked up and I got beat. May he roast in Hell.

TheRX7Project
10-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Bet you never stripped out a drain plug again.

lordairgtar
10-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Nope! Never did.:D

07ROUSHSTG3
10-02-2009, 10:08 AM
glad you got it fixed. i will be partaking in the same thing, fixing my toilet. thing runs constantly. have been bending the float rod for the last 6 months and that works for a little while, but i am as far down as i can go, LOL! i had to redo both valve systems in the toilets at my cabin up north. they got gummed up and would run very slowly, so slow that you could not even hear it unless sitting on the seat. well those little leaks cost be about $4,000 in plumber bills. ended up needing to replace the sewer pipe, reseal both toilets, repair busted trap on tub due to pressure buildup. also got nailed for 3 pipe steams. ugh.

05caddyext
10-02-2009, 10:25 PM
The fat person thing was a joke. Jesus you are uptight.