PDA

View Full Version : Penny for your thoughts... cars in rare factory colors

pw_cc_runner
09-30-2009, 06:09 PM
I am currently debating buying a 1995 Ford Probe GT because it is in a rare factory tangerine color. There are currently three problems I have with the car, first it is an automatic, second it doesn't have the factory moonroof, third its about 650 miles away from here. I have been looking for a Probe GT in this color for over 5 years now and have only found 3 GT's and about 5 SE's. The other two GT's are not for sale even for more than the blue book value. (I've tried to buy both and probably been quite annoying to the owners)

So...

Do you think it is dumb to buy a car just because it was originally a rare color from the factory and I cannot find a better one, but it is not the exact car I want?

Ideally, I would like to find one that is a 5-speed with factory moonroof, but I also could install both even though it would be "less" original.

Keep in mind it is not a collector car, it is a Probe so it is not worth a whole hell of a lot to begin with.

Here is an example of the car in VA that is not for sale in case you were curious
http://flamingsquirrel.org/gallery2/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12125&g2_serialNumber=2

Nix
09-30-2009, 06:12 PM
You've held out searching for this long, why not just continue to look for the ideal one that you want? Don't settle for anything less than what you know you really want and will be happy with. Just my 2cents. :)

Nix
09-30-2009, 06:13 PM
I see you live in Port, how old are you? You wouldn't happy to have known Ben or Dan Fisher?

pw_cc_runner
09-30-2009, 06:46 PM
You've held out searching for this long, why not just continue to look for the ideal one that you want? Don't settle for anything less than what you know you really want and will be happy with. Just my 2cents. :)

The main reason I am tempted to buy this car even though it is not the right one because we are talking numbers around or less than 50 for GT's in this color. I have no idea how many are even left or if what I want even still exists.

I see you live in Port, how old are you? You wouldn't happy to have known Ben or Dan Fisher?

Im 21, I am not certain. I know an Alicia and a Steve Fisher or Fischer

michelle
09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I can't say I have ever seen one in that color. Adam's first car was the Seafoam Green GT.

I agree on waiting until you find the right one. Chances are, as soon as you go through all the work of getting this one, you'll come across the exact one that you want.

xxtremeteam
09-30-2009, 06:52 PM

Ben graduated with me in 1999 I think

Nix
09-30-2009, 07:11 PM
pw_cc_runner I can understnad that you are wanting this one cause' of the rariety of it. However I have in the past bought a car that was "close" to exactly what I had my heart set on but eventually the honeymoon period wore off and I was angry with myself cause" it wasn't what I truly wanted. Thats just me though, you may be completly different. If you jump on it congrats, however if you don't and hold out good luck to you.

Also Michelle is probably right :goof As soon as you do pick it up you will find the exact one that you really desired all along.

Keep searching man, you'll eventually find it, or maybe you already have?

xxtremeteam: small world man, Ben is my cousin and yes he did graduate in 99. I don't know if you knew Sarah Murphy or not but they did end up getting married and this past June had their first baby, its a girl.

Sorry pw_cc_runner for jacking your thread, carry on.

Plum Crazy
09-30-2009, 07:26 PM
is it me or is there rust on the fender behind the front wheel?? And be thankful you dont have a sunroof. They are nice to have until they break and you are shelling out 2000 bucks for a new sunroof assembly.

pw_cc_runner
09-30-2009, 07:33 PM
is it me or is there rust on the fender behind the front wheel?? And be thankful you dont have a sunroof. They are nice to have until they break and you are shelling out 2000 bucks for a new sunroof assembly.

That picture is just an example of one. That part of the fender is actually plastic. The actual car Im looking at is not even close to being as nice. As far as the moonroof costs, I have about 5 assemblies in my basement from parting other cars out so I am not worried about that.

This is the actual car

http://flamingsquirrel.org/gallery2/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16462&g2_serialNumber=1
http://flamingsquirrel.org/gallery2/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16472&g2_serialNumber=1
http://flamingsquirrel.org/gallery2/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16500&g2_serialNumber=1

Plum Crazy
09-30-2009, 07:38 PM
looks like a nice project car. Not to rip on Probes, but why is it that every probe i see is missing a body panel or has mismatched color replacement panels? I know there are nice ones out there but it just seems that everyone i see is like that.

xFullThrottlex
09-30-2009, 07:41 PM
It looks like you have two probes in your sig, maybe get one of these sprayed that color?
Or if originality is what your after, i'd buy the car in question.

pw_cc_runner
09-30-2009, 07:55 PM
It looks like you have two probes in your sig, maybe get one of these sprayed that color?
Or if originality is what your after, i'd buy the car in question.

I am not willing to paint either of the two I already have. The 1995 is "Wild Orchid" purple and the color is the main reason I bought the car and the 1993 is my custom car. What makes you say you would buy the car even? Just color? or the fact that the odds of finding a 5-speed GT are pretty slim?

looks like a nice project car. Not to rip on Probes, but why is it that every probe i see is missing a body panel or has mismatched color replacement panels? I know there are nice ones out there but it just seems that everyone i see is like that.

That is a good question that I don't think I can answer. They have gone down in value quite a bit which doesn't help.

pOrk
09-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Just buy one and paint it, probes arent worth anything anyways so it doesn't need to be a FACTORY paint job.

xFullThrottlex
09-30-2009, 08:33 PM
The reason I said i'd buy the one in question,

is because it means enough to you for you to make a thread about it.

I mean if it's a lot of money and not a lot of car i'd pass, but if the guys reasonable and it's something you want, i'd say go for it.

Nix
09-30-2009, 08:38 PM
probes arent worth anything anyways so it doesn't need to be a FACTORY paint job.

To him they are worth something and he wants it to be factory. What he said he wants is for it to be orignal, which I can understand. This has been said a million times, everyone has their own taste and prefrence. His taste happens to be Probes. Personaly its not my "cup of tea".

pw_cc_runner
09-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I should also mention, its $500 and about $500 in gas to haul it back here. It runs, but the transmission slips severely. I had a member from the boards down in TN look the car over and he believes that structurally it is sound even though it has a rebuilt title from the accident that kinked the rear corner in. I already know it doesn't have the correct seats, rear bumper, tail lights, wheels etc.

I guess I just have to decide if I really want to have another one sitting around in this condition with close to $1000 in it. I love the color, if it wasn't for the color I wouldn't even be considering it.

Car Guy
09-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Question: Why not buy another Probe optioned exactly like you want and paint it this rare factory color...???

xFullThrottlex
09-30-2009, 09:17 PM
My vote is you get the vette in your sig and then paint it that color

pw_cc_runner
09-30-2009, 09:26 PM
My vote is you get the vette in your sig and then paint it that color

I'd rather have a Terminator in this color but college put in a kink in that plan...

Question: Why not buy another Probe optioned exactly like you want and paint it this rare factory color...???

Honestly, I have a torn apart 1995 GT with 40,000 original miles that I picked up off a guy in Chicago. It has pretty much everything, except the color, and would be perfect for exactly that but in my mind it would always be a "tribute" car and not a "real" tangerine frost.

xFullThrottlex
09-30-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd rather have a Terminator in this color but college put in a kink in that plan...

haha, I hear ya. If I haven't been paying my own way, i'd have a 57 chevy:banana

Car Guy
09-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Honestly, I have a torn apart 1995 GT with 40,000 original miles that I picked up off a guy in Chicago. It has pretty much everything, except the color, and would be perfect for exactly that but in my mind it would always be a "tribute" car and not a "real" tangerine frost.

If that's the case then you are the only one that can make the call. Personally I have learned that waiting until you find exactly what you want (after seriously thinking it through) is the way to go, then there are NO regrets what so ever. Whether it be a 'project' or something that is ready to sit in a museum doesn't matter, just don't compromise on what you truly desire......

Another way of looking at it is this, and it comes from personal experience also. Looking for exactly what you want can be half (if not more) of the fun. So enjoy the adventure and before you know it the 'right' one will come up for sale.....:)

MurphysLaw88GT
09-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Go with your gut, if you think you may regret it, buy it. If you are slightly impartial, don't buy it.

pw_cc_runner
10-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Well I went with my gut and let it go... someone else put in the starting bid and took it home for $500. I decided it had too many issues. I'll probably regret it, until I find a GT 5-speed. In the mean time maybe I'll put a fresh coat of Wild Orchid Purple on my daily driver. Thanks for all your thoughts last night guys.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-01-2009, 08:58 AM
i too would wait until you find exactly what you want.

Flicktitty
10-01-2009, 09:10 AM
i think me and you are slightly alike, alot of the cars i like they only made limited amounts in certain colors and i have been on the lookout for one for a long time. and i plan on looking till i can come across the right one.

and for what its worth I KNOW for a fact there is a orange one floating around out by me that's in pretty good shape, unknown if it's a GT or not. next time i see it i'll try and ask if he wants to sell it.

pw_cc_runner
10-01-2009, 09:13 AM
i think me and you are slightly alike, alot of the cars i like they only made limited amounts in certain colors and i have been on the lookout for one for a long time. and i plan on looking till i can come across the right one.

and for what its worth I KNOW for a fact there is a orange one floating around out by me that's in pretty good shape, unknown if it's a GT or not. next time i see it i'll try and ask if he wants to sell it.

Awesome! If anything now I have a few extra eyes on the lookout for me. Just remember paint code CP or CN 1995 GT :thumbsup

Exitspeed
10-01-2009, 09:51 AM

Me too. Flicktitty will know what I'm talking about. They made a Lavender Frost Metallic 240 in coupe form only and only in 1990. The color is so rare I know of only TWO PICTURES online anywhere. If I ever, EVAR see one for sale I'm buying it no matter what.

Flicktitty
10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Me too. Flicktitty will know what I'm talking about. They made a Lavender Frost Metallic 240 in coupe form only and only in 1990. The color is so rare I know of only TWO PICTURES online anywhere. If I ever, EVAR see one for sale I'm buying it no matter what.

hell yeah!

it's funny how many "normal" car's they made with rare color's or combinations that make them rare. i would still like too find a clean low mile 2 tone coupe too.

Like a 5spd Lexus SC300 with cloth interior and NO sunroof, almost unheard of.

or a Royal Sapphire pearl Lexus SC300 only made in 97-98. if you can find one with all black interior your one of less then 10 out there.

Irish
10-01-2009, 11:24 AM

Exitspeed
10-01-2009, 11:27 AM
hell yeah!

it's funny how many "normal" car's they made with rare color's or combinations that make them rare. i would still like too find a clean low mile 2 tone coupe too.

Like a 5spd Lexus SC300 with cloth interior and NO sunroof, almost unheard of.

or a Royal Sapphire pearl Lexus SC300 only made in 97-98. if you can find one with all black interior your one of less then 10 out there.

I found a Two Tone coupe in Slinger once. I saw it while I was driving on the freeway. It was parked behind a building with grass up to the windows. I found out the name of the place and called the guy. he said it ran and wanted $1000 for it. I took a drive out there there next week to take a look...I was so bummed out. It was a two tone, auto, sunroof...rusted to living hell, the A-Pillars, around the sunroof, all around the windows. And it had 260K on it. This thing was beat. Like I said I was bummed out. That was the first two tone coupe I'd ever seen in person. I wanted to make the love to it...but I woulda needed a tetanus shot.

juicedimpss
10-01-2009, 12:38 PM
not to be a dick,but you are more concerned with the original color than the fact that this thing doesnt have a straight panel on it?
it also looks like its been repainted already,and they didnt even take time to do it nice....look at the overspray on the tail lamp

http://flamingsquirrel.org/gallery2/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16500&g2_serialNumber=1

Poncho
10-01-2009, 01:40 PM
I'd pass that a million times up. I'd love to have an Orange GTO, but I would pass on an automatic one up anyday to find what I was lookin' for.

GRAMPS SS
10-01-2009, 05:23 PM
I am currently debating buying a 1995 Ford Probe GT because it is in a rare factory tangerine color. There are currently three problems I have with the car, first it is an automatic, second it doesn't have the factory moonroof, third its about 650 miles away from here. I have been looking for a Probe GT in this color for over 5 years now and have only found 3 GT's and about 5 SE's. The other two GT's are not for sale even for more than the blue book value. (I've tried to buy both and probably been quite annoying to the owners)

So...

Do you think it is dumb to buy a car just because it was originally a rare color from the factory and I cannot find a better one, but it is not the exact car I want?

Ideally, I would like to find one that is a 5-speed with factory moonroof, but I also could install both even though it would be "less" original.

Keep in mind it is not a collector car, it is a Probe so it is not worth a whole hell of a lot to begin with.

Here is an example of the car in VA that is not for sale in case you were curious
http://flamingsquirrel.org/gallery2/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12125&g2_serialNumber=2

just buy it and put silver flames on it and call it a day....clunker law..the one you really want may have been turned in...but it...i would...i loved the 2 the wife had...little frecking go karts...

other then that...oh no...get MACCO..

Prince Valiant
10-01-2009, 06:07 PM
If you're looking for "THE" right car, don't buy it. I mean, you look like you're reasonably handy and all, and can probably get the car looking good...but it's so much easier and with a probe, not much more expensive to find a clean, straight, good running example out there.

That said, I'd only go for this color if it's exactly the color YOU want too...I don't think probes will ever be like 'cuda's, chevelle's, boss 'stangs where the ubber rare and right color would leave you sitting on a gold mine....rare is nice, but with some cars, it just doesn't matter that much. There might only be one or two other guys looking for just the right color probe, that could actually afford to pay a decent price for it...you know?

pw_cc_runner
10-01-2009, 06:35 PM
It was never really a matter of monetary "value" and more a a personal value. I just really like the color orange and the Probe is a car that has become special to me. As far as that specific one being rough, sure I'll agree it was a pile. In my opinion 85% of the fun was doing the work to get my flamed car to where it is today. I'm not really sure I want to buy a "perfect" on and sit back and look at it. I'd much rather being to invest myself into the project and get the reward at the end rather than just paying for a car and having it. Over the last few years body work and paint has become something I have gotten really good at and I really enjoy doing it so that really did not bother me at all.