PDA

View Full Version : GPS ?'s

BOSS LX
09-29-2009, 09:43 PM
What is the best value gps on the market right now.

I don't need any crazy features, just a typical gps. The only thing I need is a car charger. But I do go to a lot of newer roads, so maybe a unit that is easy to update?

Thanks for the help. If anyone is selling a used one, let me know!

SmokinRAM114
09-29-2009, 09:53 PM
garmin nuvi is what i got from work. its awesome. but some new construction WONT be in there no matter how much u update it..

oh btw ur phone was telling me the number was wrong again today.

BOSS LX
09-29-2009, 09:56 PM
oh btw ur phone was telling me the number was wrong again today.

I have a new phone plan that blocks all gay people! :rolf

I am going to fix it tomorrow.

ND4SPD
09-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I can get you a new Nuvi 205 for $137 + tax. All I have to do is drive over to the warehouse and pick one up.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13429

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/assets/images/products/010-00717-40/en/cf-lg.jpg

It's updateable, comes with a car charger, windshield mount, and it's one of the least expensive GPS' out there. The only two brands I'd reccomend are Garmin and Tom Tom.

Most GPS companies will give you one free map update, or free updates for a specified period. After that, you have to buy them. I don't know of any off the top of my head that give free updates for the life of the unit.

Old Dog
09-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I picked up a Tom Tom XL330s for may dad & he really likes it. I ordered it through walmart.com and had it delivered to the nearest store. They still have the package for $160, which includes the GPS, mount & charger. I narrowed my search down to the nuvi205 or the Tom Tom and I liked the 4.3" wide screen that the Tom Tom has, so I went with it. This is my dad's first GPS and he picked it up without any problems.

SmokinRAM114
09-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I have a new phone plan that blocks all gay people! :rolf

I am going to fix it tomorrow.

im guna fuck u up. oh btw if u get a nuvi get the WIDE version 10x better/easier to see

03CVLX
09-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I know Garmin offers lifetime map updates for almost all of their GPS's it costs around 120 bucks but you never pay a penny again. I just picked up a new Garmin Nuvi 1490T 5" widescreen, i love it.

hotshift13
09-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Got me a Garman, love the thing. Don't know the model, but easy to use and gets my ass unlost, PRICELESS.......

Ricky Bobby
09-29-2009, 11:29 PM
i have 2 of the garmin nuvi's work great and are easy to boot

letsrunem
09-29-2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=tom+tom+gps&cid=1398215909503426498&sa=title#p

I have one on the first TomToms that is huge but still works great, I just bought one on these for the woman and it works great, mount it anywhere, don't be fooled by the price.

DynoTom
09-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I have a 350 NUVI now but, soon I will be going into a NUVI 755T ....The 755T has the wide screen , free lifetime traffic and lane / interchange guidance ......check nextag or ebay for best prices....

I have to say my GPS is prolly one of the most valued items I use.....

TheRX7Project
09-30-2009, 12:19 AM
My g/f has a TOM TOM and it works great. She got it on sale for $50 from her work! I tried to get one too but they were sold out :(

We use it when we go out of town anywhere. There are some places it's a little off (showed us driving through a field in Door County) but for the most part it was the best $50 she's ever spent.

GRAMPS SS
09-30-2009, 01:31 AM
I just moved up from Garmin to the MAGELLAN 4250...as much as i'm on the road it's works great for me..the best feature is the Traffic...if the road is jammed up ahead...or a accident...or bad weather..it reroutes you..don't get me wrong..the Garmin is a great unit...i just got a hell of a deal on this one...

ND4SPD
09-30-2009, 09:28 AM
My wife has the Tom Tom One with traffic ability (I'm not a Tom Tom dealer... yet), but you have to purchase a separate antenna (which I haven't gotten around to yet). Many of the various manufacturers have models that incorporate traffic levels (and many will even plan routes to avoid heavy traffic) it's just a matter of how they get the information. Some via an antenna like the Tom Tom. Some make a bluetooth connection with your phone and do it via that.

Exitspeed
09-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 205W. Works great. Never leave home without it. The wife and I go on road trips all the time and having one of these takes out the whole getting lost equation.

There are some things that I wish they would change about GPS units, and when they do I'll probably buy another one.

For instance, by biggest pet peeve is that you have to out all the address you want to go to into the GPS. That is all fine and dandy when you are just going from A-B. But when you're in another city or on a road trip and you want to go from A-B-C-D etc etc, I think it would be mighty handy to be able to route a trip on your computer first, then plug in the GPS and upload the whole route. That would be sweet.

Cryptic
09-30-2009, 10:19 AM
pretty happy with my Garmin Nuvi 855.

Lane assist:
http://images.pcworld.com/news/graphics/156311-Garmin_Nuvi_855_for_Web_original.jpg

http://www.gpsdeals4u.com/images/ebay/nuvi885t.jpg

I got it off buy.com for about 1/3 of retail.

cyclone70
09-30-2009, 10:22 AM
We have 2 Garmin Nuvi 200's and a Nuvi 205. work great. Almost idiot proof

STANMAN
09-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Garmin and Magellen here, both work great, but I would get another Garmin before a Magellen. Then again the GARMIN was 2X as much, so I would have to take that into consideration. Maybe I would get another Magellen, lol.

Exitspeed
09-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Garmin and Magellen here, both work great, but I would get another Garmin before a Magellen. Then again the Magellen was 2X as much, so I would have to take that into consideration. Maybe I would get another Magellen, lol.

Wait what?

You'd get a Garmin before a Megellen, but the Megellen costing twice as much makes you want it more? That's kinda odd.

STANMAN
09-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Wait what?

You'd get a Garmin before a Megellen, but the Megellen costing twice as much makes you want it more? That's kinda odd.

No, I miswrote that, the Garmin was 2X as much.

05caddyext
09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
I have a almost new Garmin 255WT if you want it. Ill sell it for $100 bucks with everything, mounting brackets, power cord, etc. Thats less than half price. I never use it.