PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Handgun

DerangedPony
09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
So, I'm looking to get into shooting and I need something on the cheap side to start out (money is kinda tight right now). I know cheap and gun shouldn't really go together but I saw something online where you could get a used pistol for under $150 that is decent quality. Is it possible to get a used semi-auto our even revolver for that price range, have it be somewhat reliable for target shooting, and also a ok home defense gun? If so, what should I look for and where can I get started? Thanks

That_Guy
09-25-2009, 10:24 PM
find one you like and put it on lay-away... cheap isnt aways worth the money specially with firearms... although... one of my favorite firearms happens to be the cheapest ones i bought.. that was a high point carbine.. highpoints are pretty cheap.. i cant say anything in favor of there pistols but the carbine is uber reliable

Russ Jerome
09-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Cheap, reliable, brand new and fun would be a 22 semi auto rifle from any Dunhams for $150. Marlin, Savage, Mossburg they all shoot great.

Cheap to shoot, quiet, deadly accurate at 50+ yards and they kill penty of people every year as a home defence gun. I rifle is far less likely to walk away from your home in unwanted hands, and later show up to rob you or others. If its plinking Im doing a 22 is the first thing I grab, cheap, fun and no hearing protection needed.

MurphysLaw88GT
09-26-2009, 12:09 AM
I got a CZ82 for 200 bills. One of the best handguns for the $$$$$ in my opinion. I dig it, but the supply is rapidly drying up. Importers just got a load in, but will soon be gone. You can always get a Nagant M1895 revolver for like 75-80 bucks. Ammo is a bitch though. As Russ said, a nice .22LR would be nice.

ND4SPD
09-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Good for $150? That's kinda pushing it. When I bought my HK USP.45 (the first gun *I* owned) I was still a poor college student. I put it on layaway (like was mentioned) and in a few months I had myself the most reliable .45 in the world. I think they were around $500 back then (arount 1996). I remember looking at Ruger and Firestar several times (which were easily half the cost) but I stuck it out for the HK and I'm glad I did. So, if I were you, I'd look for something you want, put it on layaway, and get it. You'll be much happier in the long run.

That_Guy
09-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Good for $150? That's kinda pushing it. When I bought my HK USP.45 (the first gun *I* owned) I was still a poor college student. I put it on layaway (like was mentioned) and in a few months I had myself the most reliable .45 in the world. I think they were around $500 back then (arount 1996). I remember looking at Ruger and Firestar several times (which were easily half the cost) but I stuck it out for the HK and I'm glad I did. So, if I were you, I'd look for something you want, put it on layaway, and get it. You'll be much happier in the long run.

i agree with this statement... depending on where you go you only need to put 10 percent down 450 dollar pistol is 45 dollars down and 4-5 payments after of X amount. my brother is doing a lay-away deal on a ruger sr-9 at gander... his payments are less then 100 dollars a month..

DynoTom
09-26-2009, 07:04 PM
If you want something right away to insure home defense I will be glad to borrow you my Ruger 10/22 carbine until you can get something???

It's the parkerized version all blacked out composite stock with scope.....I have a couple extra Ruger rotary clips too....Let me know if you need it???

I also have a Remington 597 .22 cal autoloader rifle with scope that I would sell for cheap ! It's a very nice gun it's just got a pretty poorly designed stacked clip that is kinda a PITA to deal with and that's something the RUGER 10 / 22 does not have....

BOSS LX
09-26-2009, 07:26 PM
I want to buy a few things at the next Waukesha expo gun show. I will let you know when the next one is.

Holeshot
09-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Next Gun Show at Waukesha Expo

Rocco Memorial Gun Show
Nov 13 – 15 2009

Fri 5-9pm; Sat 9-5pm; Sun 9-3pm. Admissions $5 Adults, 12 & under free. Free Parking Concessions Available. www.bobandrocco.com

Rocket Power
09-26-2009, 10:28 PM
What do you primarily want to do with what you buy?
If it's home defense, it would be easier to find a used 12 ga shotgun in that range or a new 870 knockoff H&R Pardner shotgun which wouldn't be much more than $150, I've seen them under $200 before.

For $150 not much other than a Hi point (do not get any of the Lorcin,Jennings Davis, etc crap that you may see cheap at the gun show)

I also have a CZ82 I got for $200. Great gun for the money.

Coops Brother
10-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I can get you a Pheonix Arms HP22 in blue or nickel finish for $127 shipped down to an FFL in your area. They are cheap and, in my experience reliable. Now others have had problems, but I think mostly due to using high velocity ammo, like CCI Stingers @ 1640 FPS. 10 rd mag, 3" or 5" barrel.
Fun to shoot and fairly accurate for a small gun.

Silver350
10-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Good gun right now and is on Sale at gander Mountain is a Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm. Powerful enough to stop a intruder and cheap to shoot. I just picked up 50 9mm centerfire hallow point for $15.99 at Farm and fleet. The gun was on sale at gander for $550 and came out to be $591.04 with tax and backround check fee. So far I am pretty happy with it.

TheRX7Project
10-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I love my Ruger 10/22 Carbine. It's way more accurate as a gun than I am as a shooter (unless I get down with the bipod). You can usually find them used for under $200.

Another recommendation I may make, if you want home defense, is a New England Firearms 12ga pump. I stole mine from Gander for a mere $135 including transfer fee and tax. Even though it's not really a "name brand" it still gets excellent reviews, and although I haven't shot it much, I have had zero problems thus far.

Like stated, what exactly do you want to do with it? If it's for plinking / fun, just get a .22LR rifle or pistol. It'll be reliable, it'll be cheap, it'll be accurate, and the ammo is like a nickel a shot. If absolutely needed, it'll work in a bind, but definitely not a primary defense weapon.

If you need a home defense weapon, you can never go wrong with a 12ga pump. I don't buy into the hype about the "sound of a racking round scares off most criminals", but a few ounces of buckshot, or better yet a slug, will stop them no problem. Plus, skeet shooting is fun.

If you really really want pistol, you're going to be spending more than $150 for anything worth shooting (unless it's a .22)

That_Guy
10-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I love my Ruger 10/22 Carbine. It's way more accurate as a gun than I am as a shooter (unless I get down with the bipod). You can usually find them used for under $200.

Another recommendation I may make, if you want home defense, is a New England Firearms 12ga pump. I stole mine from Gander for a mere $135 including transfer fee and tax. Even though it's not really a "name brand" it still gets excellent reviews, and although I haven't shot it much, I have had zero problems thus far.

Like stated, what exactly do you want to do with it? If it's for plinking / fun, just get a .22LR rifle or pistol. It'll be reliable, it'll be cheap, it'll be accurate, and the ammo is like a nickel a shot. If absolutely needed, it'll work in a bind, but definitely not a primary defense weapon.

If you need a home defense weapon, you can never go wrong with a 12ga pump. I don't buy into the hype about the "sound of a racking round scares off most criminals", but a few ounces of buckshot, or better yet a slug, will stop them no problem. Plus, skeet shooting is fun.

If you really really want pistol, you're going to be spending more than $150 for anything worth shooting (unless it's a .22)

nef pumps are basically 870 expresses... made in china expresse but its a great shotgun for the price. down side is there is not after market barrels, but all 870 stocks will fit it..