PDA

View Full Version : Clunker List

michelle
09-24-2009, 01:54 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/24/shed-a-tear-for-clunkers-that-deserved-better/

So 107 SHOs. That means mine is worth more, right?

Prince Valiant
09-24-2009, 02:01 PM
So 107 SHOs. That means mine is worth more, right?Not as much as those particular 107 :D

juicedimpss
09-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Not as much as those particular 107 :D

:rolf
nice.

michelle
09-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Not as much as those particular 107 :D

Haha touché, touché.

Exitspeed
09-24-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm surprised only 2 240's got crushed. There's more 240's crashed in CA every day then that. haha

Yooformula
09-24-2009, 02:09 PM
wow they accepted some pretty nice cars yet my old minivan didnt qualify.

lordairgtar
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
I saw an Excalibur on that list. wow.

Plum Crazy
09-24-2009, 03:27 PM
We ended up blowing up 97 CARS vehicles, 95% of them were buckets of shit, and half of those were full size vans/pickups. 3 cars we blew up broke my heart though:

1995 Dodge ram 1500 4wd 5spd, had 55k and not a spot of rust and everything worked great.
1997 Jeep Cherokee, one of the dealer employees owned it, it was mint. only had 78000 miles.
2002 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab, it did have 216000 miles on the 5.9L but it had full leather, a cap, 20inch rims, every option.

Also, our longest runner with the sodium silicate in the engine was 16 min. It was a 96 blazer that ended up lauching a rod out the side of the block. Shortest was a 02 Dodge
B1500 with a 3.9L, it ran for 22 seconds.

Flicktitty
09-24-2009, 03:34 PM
anyone see how many fucking supra's are gone? What junkyard are they in? i need parts :D

Red97GTP
09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
How about the Aston Martin DB7 Volante. :crying

I wonder who the idiot was that traded that thing in? Also, it seems like this list has alot of vehicles that get better than the 18mpg that was needed to qualify.

gottwins?
09-24-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm surprised only 2 240's got crushed. There's more 240's crashed in CA every day then that. haha

That's because 240's really don't guzzle gas...they are 4's or turbo 4's. Thankfully almost all 300zx's were z31's and z32 2+2's.

Exitspeed
09-24-2009, 04:01 PM
That's because 240's are turbo 4's

No they weren't. 240's were never sold here (int eh US) in Turbo form. If they were they would have been 200sx's. But that's neither hear nor there. People that have swapped SR20's into 240's aren't the people trading them in during C4C.

Cryptic
09-24-2009, 04:01 PM
(373) Mazda RX-7... wonder how many were 3rd gen? If they didnt have to be able to be driven into dealer I would of had one for them LOL

WhatsADSM
09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
That list is confusing.. There are a ton of cars on there that don't even qualify for C4C due to decent gas mileage... IN fact almost every 4 cylinder car on there is kind of suspect.

TheRX7Project
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Probably mostly 1st gens... which honestly, the people who traded them in got a good deal. Most 1st gens are pretty clapped out, the rear subframes have a rust-from-the-inside-out issue. Granted, mine is way too clean for that, but if I had a drivable parts car that qualified, I might have considered it.

xxsn0blindxx
09-24-2009, 07:15 PM
(6) Maseratis including a Biturbo and the 1985 Quattroporte

No way, they couldn't possibly have been in running condition when they were traded in and if by some miracle they were, then they broke down before they could even get the sodium silicate to run through the motor.

Plum Crazy
09-24-2009, 07:58 PM
there is a BiTurbo on youtube being blown up.

Memphis
09-24-2009, 08:12 PM
1987 GNX??? 1992 Typhoon?? I call bogus....

Yooformula
09-24-2009, 08:26 PM
After the motors are glassed over, the rest is sent to the junkyards right? I wonder how many parts disappeared off of them before they got to the yards. I couldnt stand seeing how many dealerships painted the cars and trashed them, they still had good parts for yards to sell off IMO.

hotshift13
09-24-2009, 08:50 PM
I was at a pick and pull in Ill today, It breaks my heart to see what people are throwing away. They just got in 4 to 500 cars in the last few days. Heres some that I found, Nice clean toyota land cruiser, bmw's , a 90 454 ss pick-up, mid 90's camaro lt-1 car, couple nice firebirds. So there are LOTS of nice cars for picking parts off of. I will be going back this weekend for the camaro disc brake rear end, only $145.00, complete. and some parts off the 454 truck. They cannot sell any of the inside of the motor, block pistons, cams, or anything like that.

Waver
09-24-2009, 09:51 PM
I call bull shit on all of the cars that are above 2003 since they didnt qualify for the program

Plum Crazy
09-24-2009, 09:59 PM
After the motors are glassed over, the rest is sent to the junkyards right? I wonder how many parts disappeared off of them before they got to the yards. I couldnt stand seeing how many dealerships painted the cars and trashed them, they still had good parts for yards to sell off IMO.

The answer is alot. Im not going into detail, but all I will say is alot of parts disappeared between when the original owner got rid of it and the junkyards picked them up.

BoosTT
09-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Your new purchase has to be under $40k for C4C. Makes you wonder who trades a bmw for a kia.

GTSLOW
09-24-2009, 11:19 PM
anyone see how many fucking supra's are gone? What junkyard are they in? i need parts :D

Good place for all those seized up 2JZs :D

scaleracer
09-25-2009, 12:17 AM
If that's accurate theres some dumb people out there!

PB86MCSS
09-25-2009, 12:32 AM
No way a GNX was a C4C car, I need to see proof to believe that. Anyone would of offered the guy double the trade in value without blinking, it would be a win-win for the seller and buyer or dealership.

So these cars are now showing up at yards? How recently? I was at Al's a couple weekends ago, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary or C4C vehicles.

gottwins?
09-25-2009, 02:37 AM
No they weren't. 240's were never sold here (int eh US) in Turbo form. If they were they would have been 200sx's. But that's neither hear nor there. People that have swapped SR20's into 240's aren't the people trading them in during C4C.

Umm...well if you want to be a smart ass about it I never said they were sold here turbo? I simply said they are, either ways like I said...it makes absolutely no sense using them in the clash for clunkers program.

Exitspeed
09-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Umm...well if you want to be a smart ass about it I never said they were sold here turbo? I simply said they are, either ways like I said...it makes absolutely no sense using them in the clash for clunkers program.

If you want to be smart about it then you wouldn't even have mentioned a turbo 240 since we are talking about C4C here in America.

Either way...

It's no biggie. Just correcting you. It's ok to be wrong, and admit it.

Waver
09-25-2009, 09:55 AM
now kids, dont fight.......

As far as the Gnx goes, well it did qualify, however there would have to be a few things that had to be in place for it to actually go through....

1)had to be so rotted out that there was no chance of saving it (I have seen some grand nats like this)
2)The owner had to be a complete dumbass
3)the dealership didnt know what they were getting

All three of these things had to of been in place for this to have ever happened....
I am calling bullshit on a lot of the cars that were listed, such as the gnx, any car older than 84 and anything newer than 03, just because of the rules that the program listed. I did hear that a syclone was turned in under the program, what a damn shame.....

TransAm12sec
09-25-2009, 10:52 AM
"2006 Cadillac STS
2006 Audi A4 Convertible"

Ummm, huh?

84hurst
09-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Also calling BS on this list. There are SO many cars on that list that are worth so much more that $4500. Any dealership can see that. No dealership would take an Aston Martin, a GNX or any other rare car on that list, in for only $4500 on C4C. They'd be throwing away lots of potential profits by doing so. :bsflag

gottwins?
09-26-2009, 12:55 AM
If you want to be smart about it then you wouldn't even have mentioned a turbo 240 since we are talking about C4C here in America.

Either way...

It's no biggie. Just correcting you. It's ok to be wrong, and admit it.

Because turbo 240's don't exist in the U.S. and there would be no possible way that one could possibly end up on the list correct? :durr

Your trying to hard man, stop.

PB86MCSS
09-26-2009, 03:33 PM
1)had to be so rotted out that there was no chance of saving it (I have seen some grand nats like this)

I've only see one GNX in person, it was clean. I've seen a couple dozen on the internet, all clean uber low mile to pretty low mile cars, in great shape. I would be shocked to see any in beat up/rusted shape. Maybe it was a GN that someone put as a GNX, I suppose.

I need to see visual proof of this and many other cars listed on the report as turned in. I think someone/some people were having fun with the list.

lordairgtar
09-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I've only see one GNX in person, it was clean. I've seen a couple dozen on the internet, all clean uber low mile to pretty low mile cars, in great shape. I would be shocked to see any in beat up/rusted shape. Maybe it was a GN that someone put as a GNX, I suppose.

I need to see visual proof of this and many other cars listed on the report as turned in. I think someone/some people were having fun with the list.
There were rusty GNs out there. My dad had one...The story...My Grandfather's last car he bought was a GN. This was supposed to go to me. After my Grandpa passed, my dad took possession of the car as Gramps never put anything in writing. My dad was executor. not a damned thing I could do about it. Dad's opinion about cars were that they were appliances meant to go from A to B, that's it! He had the car repainted a light metallic blue at MAACO. They kept it outside in the driveway all year round, eventually trading it in on a new Lumina. I cried. He would never sell me the car. Last time I saw the car, it was pretty rotted in the doors and around the wheel wells. I coulda killed him.

PB86MCSS
09-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I know there are rusty GN's but thats much different than a rusty GNX :D . I remember a daily beater WE4 around the Muskego/Hales Corners/Greenfield area years ago, had some rust, saw the guy out in winter with it, even hauling a card table in the trunk one time it looked like.

Silver86
09-27-2009, 05:36 AM
heres a larger more detailed list... PDF file of course...

http://www.cars.gov/files/official-information/trade-in-vehicles.pdf

poor rx7s :(

customgtp
09-28-2009, 01:03 AM
ugh it hurts, it hurts

TheRX7Project
09-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Wow a 3rd gen RX7, and a 2008 Mustang... both would (I'd imagine) be worth considerably more than the $3500-4500.

I mean I'm not butthurt over the 1st gen RX7's or 2nd Gen's... seriously, those people got a deal. But a 3rd gen? Are you retarded?

Exitspeed
09-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Because turbo 240's don't exist in the U.S. and there would be no possible way that one could possibly end up on the list correct? :durr

Your trying to hard man, stop.

How many 240 enthusiasts that spent time, importing an SR20 (that legally can't be smogged in the states), and swapping an engine traded in their car for the C4C program? Really, you think out of the 2 240's traded in this was the case with one or both of them?

You were wrong to begin with and I corrected you. Period. It's really that hard to admit you were wrong huh?

xopher
09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
24 Lightnings? :crying

They made an AWD Tempo?! :wooo

WhatsADSM
09-28-2009, 11:53 AM
No need to even argue about the 240s since ZERO 240s were legally traded in under the C4C program since they didn't even qualify. They all got 20mpg combined or higher. They are likely a typo.

Exitspeed
09-28-2009, 12:16 PM
No need to even argue about the 240s since ZERO 240s were legally traded in under the C4C program since they didn't even qualify. They all got 20mpg combined or higher. They are likely a typo.

More then likely.

gottwins?
09-29-2009, 12:43 AM
How many 240 enthusiasts that spent time, importing an SR20 (that legally can't be smogged in the states), and swapping an engine traded in their car for the C4C program? Really, you think out of the 2 240's traded in this was the case with one or both of them?

You were wrong to begin with and I corrected you. Period. It's really that hard to admit you were wrong huh?

lol wow are you that dumb or are you just trying that hard?

First post:

"That's because 240's really don't guzzle gas...they are 4's or turbo 4's."

I never said that the turbo ones were traded in, I simply said they are 4's and turbo 4's therefore they would not trade EITHER of them..numb nuts :durr.

Then you tried being a thread hero telling me that there are no usdm turbo 240's which I never said there were, I simply said that they were around and could be traded in (wouldn't make sense but they are around and available to do so).

Keep trying man, you just keep digging yourself into a deeper hole of stupidy and try ending it with a "your wrong because you are!! wah wah" :-D

Exitspeed
09-29-2009, 08:48 AM
lol wow are you that dumb or are you just trying that hard?

First post:

I never said that the turbo ones were traded in, I simply said they are 4's and turbo 4's therefore they would not trade EITHER of them..numb nuts :durr.

Then you tried being a thread hero telling me that there are no usdm turbo 240's which I never said there were, I simply said that they were around and could be traded in (wouldn't make sense but they are around and available to do so).

Keep trying man, you just keep digging yourself into a deeper hole of stupidy and try ending it with a "your wrong because you are!! wah wah" :-D

I'm not digging myself into shit. You were wrong, I pointed it out and you won't admit it. That's on you man, not me.

Lets go back and look at the statement you made that was wrong. 240's were never sold in turbo form here. EVER. No matter how you try to make yourself look right. If you are saying people can turbo them then your statement can also say, "That's because 240's really don't guzzle gas...they no engines, are 4's or turbo 4's, V6's, V8's, and TTV8's." since those engines are also in 240's all over the country.

Is it really that hard to admit you were wrong? You can keep going and keep going that somehow your statement was correct, but it wasn't.

But I digress what's the point really?...

/done.

Waver
09-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Also calling BS on this list. There are SO many cars on that list that are worth so much more that $4500. Any dealership can see that. No dealership would take an Aston Martin, a GNX or any other rare car on that list, in for only $4500 on C4C. They'd be throwing away lots of potential profits by doing so. :bsflag The power of the internet at work......a lot of this is probably what people saw in the back lots of some dealerships, not knowing if they were c4c or what not.

I need to see visual proof of this and many other cars listed on the report as turned in. I think someone/some people were having fun with the list.Like I said, I have seen some rusty grand nats, never a gnx....

24 Lightnings? :crying

They made an AWD Tempo?! :wooo
Well I cant really call bullshit on this, since some of the older 351 powered ones have gotten to the point where they are piles of shit. The awd tempo........um I would have to check on that, but it highly unlikely.

Exitspeed
09-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Well I cant really call bullshit on this, since some of the older 351 powered ones have gotten to the point where they are piles of shit. The awd tempo........um I would have to check on that, but it highly unlikely.

The all knowing Wikipedia says it was available. I've never seen one though. Must have been a rare gem...lol.

gottwins?
09-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Is it really that hard to admit you were wrong? You can keep going and keep going that somehow your statement was correct, but it wasn't.

Hahahaha I told you, (your wrong wah wah). The fact that you assume I somehow meant that they were sold here made an ass out of..........YOU :rolf. We both know how common the turbo swaps are compared to V8's ect and extremely cheaper, nowhere did I say they were sold here in the u.s.....nowhere I simply said they were around because of how common they are, again...stop trying to be a thread hero and like a 5 year old trying to be "right" under YOUR own assumptions:durr.

Exitspeed
09-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Hahahaha I told you, (your wrong wah wah). The fact that you assume I somehow meant that they were sold here made an ass out of..........YOU :rolf. We both know how common the turbo swaps are compared to V8's ect and extremely cheaper, nowhere did I say they were sold here in the u.s.....nowhere I simply said they were around because of how common they are, again...stop trying to be a thread hero and like a 5 year old trying to be "right" under YOUR own assumptions:durr.

No where were we talking about swapped 240's, S chassis's in other countries ets etc as it relates to this particular topic. You know what you meant when you posted it. And you were wrong. You've tried changing what you said ever since. That's fine. Continue on with your life knowing you can't be wrong.

Good day.

gottwins?
09-29-2009, 02:24 PM
No where were we talking about swapped 240's, S chassis's in other countries ets etc as it relates to this particular topic. You know what you meant when you posted it. And you were wrong. You've tried changing what you said ever since. That's fine. Continue on with your life knowing you can't be wrong.

Good day.

Bleh, I wrote a whole post and it really didn't make sense to even post it for you, I understand man...nobody wants to be a smart ass thread hero on a post and then be made to look stupid because of their dumb assumptions...its ok.

When you can prove that most 240's are NOT 4 and turbo 4's then you can have your glorious "omfg im cool" moment *note, absolutely nothing was said about usdm or jdm (keep your assumptions to yourself please), simply that 240's are 4's and turbo 4's USDM or not) Prove me wrong, I welcome it. :)

Exitspeed
09-29-2009, 02:53 PM
You can't prove that most 240's are turbo 4's either. They didn't come stock that way. Period. DONE.

The assumption was that we were talking about the cars on the clunkers list. Not modded 240s.

The odds of either 2 of the 240's mentioned being an SR swapped 240 are zilch. You won't admit that though. Will you?

NM. You're being just as hard headed as I am. So get your head out of your ass.

Exitspeed
09-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Bleh, I wrote a whole post and it really didn't make sense to even post it for you, I understand man...nobody wants to be a smart ass thread hero on a post and then be made to look stupid because of their dumb assumptions...its ok.

When you can prove that most 240's are NOT 4 and turbo 4's then you can have your glorious "omfg im cool" moment *note, absolutely nothing was said about usdm or jdm (keep your assumptions to yourself please), simply that 240's are 4's and turbo 4's USDM or not) Prove me wrong, I welcome it. :)

OK I thought about what you are asking here more...

And yes, all 240's are 4's, you are right there...MOST 240's are NOT turbo 4's. Even on Ziliva (the largest 240 community) most 240's are swapped. A lot of them are, but not most. And that and the rest of the 240 communities out there are still not the majoirty of 240's still out on the market, and therefore I can say with out a doubt that NO, MOST 240's are not turbo'd.

Don't question my 240 know how either. I've been around the 240 community for a long time. I was a moderator on Zilvia (which has almost 70,000 members) also. That is earned, not just handed out.

i'm not trying to be a hero. You made a false statement. Period. And you're so hardheaded you can't admit it. I'm also hardheaded but I can admit when I'm wrong.

Flicktitty
09-29-2009, 07:13 PM
I was a moderator on Zilvia (which has almost 70,000 members) also. That is earned, not just handed out.

keyword is in BOLD LOL

but yeah, i agree with Exitspeed on this.

:durr

03Seville
09-29-2009, 08:49 PM
No way, they couldn't possibly have been in running condition when they were traded in and if by some miracle they were, then they broke down before they could even get the sodium silicate to run through the motor.

85 Maseratti with <19,000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiORhKnwXF4

07ROUSHSTG3
09-29-2009, 08:55 PM
i saw an awd tempo the other day at work!!! i was like wtf?? you could see the rear axles clear as day, it was wierd as hell.

i am not buying this list. how the hell does an 08 mustang qualify??

Plum Crazy
09-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Cash for Clunkers has been over for a month, i think we can let this thread die now.

Plum Crazy
09-29-2009, 08:57 PM
i saw an awd tempo the other day at work!!! i was like wtf?? you could see the rear axles clear as day, it was wierd as hell.

i am not buying this list. how the hell does an 08 mustang qualify??

We had some weird ones too, a Previa (sp?) mid engine van, and i heard that Palmen GM store got a Prowler?!

michelle
09-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Cash for Clunkers has been over for a month, i think we can let this thread die now.

Posting in this thread doesn't really help the whole "let this thread die" philosophy. :goof

Plum Crazy
09-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Posting in this thread doesn't really help the whole "let this thread die" philosophy. :goof
Thats a good point.:rolf

Exitspeed
09-30-2009, 08:33 AM
keyword is in BOLD LOL

but yeah, i agree with Exitspeed on this.

:durr

Hey, I can still get you banned faster then a GTR's 0-60. :goof JK. I wouldn't do that. :thumbsup Or would I?:stare

gottwins?
09-30-2009, 01:24 PM
OK I thought about what you are asking here more...

And yes, all 240's are 4's, you are right there...MOST 240's are NOT turbo 4's. Even on Ziliva (the largest 240 community) most 240's are swapped. A lot of them are, but not most. And that and the rest of the 240 communities out there are still not the majoirty of 240's still out on the market, and therefore I can say with out a doubt that NO, MOST 240's are not turbo'd.

Don't question my 240 know how either. I've been around the 240 community for a long time. I was a moderator on Zilvia (which has almost 70,000 members) also. That is earned, not just handed out.

i'm not trying to be a hero. You made a false statement. Period. And you're so hardheaded you can't admit it. I'm also hardheaded but I can admit when I'm wrong.

You still don't get it do you? I just really don't know in how many ways I can put this hahaha.

First and foremost, I can careless about your 240 knowledge..im not a 240 guy nor do I care about them. But I do know enough to say that most 240's are 4 and turbo 4's. Again your changing my words for your assumption, I did not say that most 240's are turbo 4's did I? No...I said that most 240's are 4's and turbo 4's do you know what this means? Apparently not so i'll break it down or you. It means that most of the sum of 240's are 4's and turbo 4's not singled out but together = most of the sum of 240's.

Like I said I really don't know much about 240's because I really don't care but I do know that the turbo swap is common, common enough to where it has a legitimate chance of making it in the C4C list (fuel legitimacy aside) which is why I said that in the first place. The swap is not THAT expensive and THAT rare where its not possible. This is what I meant from my original post and this is why im not "wrong" because I never said nor meant that turbo 4's are usdm which is what all this BS is about in the first place. Yes im hardheaded but im not going to say im wrong when your interpreting what im trying to say wrong, the knowledge isin't on my side when it comes to 240's so I would admit it.

Agree to disagree I guess because this is getting ridiculous.

Exitspeed
09-30-2009, 02:27 PM
I'll agree to disagree.

A more accurate statement would be "Most 240's are 4's and there are some swapped turbo 240's."

I'll admit, this was one of the most ridiculous debates I've even been involved in.

:thumbsup

WhatsADSM
09-30-2009, 04:27 PM
FWIW, Turbo i6 and American V8 240s are really the only cool ones anyways. :banana1:

I'm sure Flick and Liz will agree :)

Exitspeed
09-30-2009, 04:38 PM
FWIW, Turbo i6 and American V8 240s are really the only cool ones anyways. :banana1:

I'm sure Flick and Liz will agree :)

I always wanted a bone stock VQ powered 240. A 240 would rock so hard with a VQ. Too bad there's been no real solution to the wiring issue. If someone could come up with a legit plug n play harness they'd make a killing.

gottwins?
10-01-2009, 01:31 AM
I'll admit, this was one of the most ridiculous debates I've even been involved in.

:thumbsup

Same, glad to be a part of it. :thumbsup

gottwins?
10-01-2009, 01:34 AM
240 + VG = :Hump
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp249/chillin4daday/richmond_shot_4.jpg

DurtyKurty
10-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Like the way the mustang trade ins spiked in '94-'95! HAHAHA!!!!

Good to see only one supercharged lighting was traded in.

And a staggering number of explorers traded in! It's gotta be close to 40,000! But I am not gonna cry over those things. :)