PDA

View Full Version : Sushi... poll.

TheRX7Project
09-24-2009, 08:36 AM
So do you? I eat sushi from time to time. Yet when I tell people I know that sushi is good, they all give me that puzzled "but it's raw fish" look.

All I can say is that if you haven't tried it, but aren't afraid to try it, go for it.

Oh, and Kyoto on 76th and Layton has all-you-can-eat sushi, appetizers, and rolls, Sunday-Tuesday every week for $23. If you know how expensive it is to buy sushi, you know that is a STEAL!

Make sure you try the Sunshine Roll. It sounds gay, I know, but it's freakin' delicious.:thumbsup

animal
09-24-2009, 08:38 AM
a "poll" with no poll. :rolf

Put me down for: I'll take a fish fry over a fish unfry any day, thanks :)

TheRX7Project
09-24-2009, 08:40 AM
There's a poll... I don't know why it didn't load for you.

animal
09-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Hmm, unsure why it wasn't up the first time

Exitspeed
09-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I love Sushi. i eat it probably once a week. I usually got to Fujiyama on Mon or Tue if I go for Dinner because they have half price that night. Stuff is very very good. Nice quality.

Or I go there for lunch and get the Maki Roll Lunch. It's $8.50 and you get 2 Rolls, Soup, and a Salad.

LOVE SUSHI.

Dasred
09-24-2009, 09:27 AM
I looooovvvee sushi!
I lived in Japan for five years and I can't get enough of it, just pretty damn expensive.
Fujiyama is the best I've had this side of the Pacific, so if you haven't tried it and are willing, I recommend there.

94greenbandit
09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Sushi is awesome. Samurai in Glendale is good and also Midori in Mequon. Nanakusa on Chicago St isn't bad either. I try to eat it once a week but since I travel on a weekly basis depending where I go I don't want to be trying Sushi there

GOOD LS1
09-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Nanakusa is my favorite

http://dinenanakusa.com/
(great date restaurant!!)

Moparjim
09-24-2009, 10:26 AM
If you like sushi you have to go to Soon's in Kenosha. It is by far the best balance of quality and price I have ever seen. They have a ton of reasonably priced awesome rolls and $1 hand rolls of spicy tuna!!!

Car Guy
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
If I was on death row my last dinner would be sushi, needless to say I LOVE it. I just tried Lotus on Howell in Oak Creek and it was very good, some items were better than Fujiyama and some weren't. The only thing that bothered me is the soda was served in cans (warm), don't know why but next time I'll just get water. Just like Fujiyama Mon/Tues is half off/special night.....:drool:

BR3W CITY
09-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Big fan of sushi! Never been to Fujiyama, but Asiana in Pewaukee is pretty good.

Best sushi I had *hands down* was in Van Couver, unlimited custom-made rolls for $17 USD.

Exitspeed
09-24-2009, 11:37 AM
So what are your favorite rolls?

Mine would be:

Spicy Salmon
Tuna and Avocado
Spider Roll
Shrimp Tempura

and I just love a couple pieces of salmon Nigirizushi.

All the above and a couple beers. droooool.

TraceDaddy
09-24-2009, 11:56 AM
God gave us fire for a reason.

Exitspeed
09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
God gave us fire for a reason.

He also gave us open minds for a reason.

Al
09-24-2009, 12:57 PM
I like sushi! In fact, I'd say I like it more than cooked fish.

Exitspeed
09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
I like sushi! In fact, I'd say I like it more than cooked fish.

x2.

Car Guy
09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
In fact, I'd say I like it more than cooked fish.

I never thought about that comparison but now that I have my feeling are the same......

BR3W CITY
09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Sushi > most cooked fish (helps that the fish is usually of a higher quality assuming your at a decent sushi place)
But sometimes ya can't beat the good 'ol friday fish fry.

Fav rolls are probably spicy tuna, dragon rolls, or possibly one of those tempura variations.

lordairgtar
09-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Major win!!!

1320PNY
09-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Yokoso in Brookfield is great. The rainbow roll is awesome. Wasabi has a marina roll that is excellent. Ironically Wasabi has a great filet minion for 23 bucks.

94greenbandit
09-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Nanakusa is my favorite

http://dinenanakusa.com/
(great date restaurant!!)

Another Nanakusa lover.

I like to try different rolls when I travel. Sometimes there are some good ones that are creative to the restaurant or city I am in.

Toro(expensive) but is really good

Exitspeed
09-24-2009, 04:23 PM
My least favorite is Scallop Roll. Which really bums me out because I LOVE scallops. In raw form though they have the texture of a wad of snot. I've had it twice at different places and it was the same. If someone had a cooked scallop roll, I'd be all over the shit.

TheRX7Project
09-24-2009, 04:37 PM
My favorite rolls, and what I usually order for AYCE, are:
Dragon Roll
Spider Roll
Sunshine Roll
and my recently aquired favorite Fried Oyster Roll

I've only come across a few kinds of sushi I DON'T like.

I prefer Kyoto over Fujiyama. Kyoto uses very good quality fish, which makes a huge difference. I had Fujiyama once, and it was too pricey, but was good. I didn't know about the half-price days, I may have to give it another try (but then again, they are on the same days as AYCE, and I can easily burn through $50+ in sushi).

Exitspeed
09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
My favorite rolls, and what I usually order for AYCE, are:
Dragon Roll
Spider Roll
Sunshine Roll
and my recently aquired favorite Fried Oyster Roll

I've only come across a few kinds of sushi I DON'T like.

I prefer Kyoto over Fujiyama. Kyoto uses very good quality fish, which makes a huge difference. I had Fujiyama once, and it was too pricey, but was good. I didn't know about the half-price days, I may have to give it another try (but then again, they are on the same days as AYCE, and I can easily burn through $50+ in sushi).

You HAVE to go on a Mon or Tue for half price. The wife and I go, we get 5 rolls, and I get some nigiri, a beer and it's like $25 for both.

I don't eat sushi on any other day there for dinner.

TheRX7Project
09-24-2009, 04:45 PM
I'll be sure to check that out, but I usually go to Kyoto... I mean, AYCE sushi for $23 is a steal. My friend and I went there Monday and ate ~$100 worth combined.

Exitspeed
09-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I'll be sure to check that out, but I usually go to Kyoto... I mean, AYCE sushi for $23 is a steal. My friend and I went there Monday and ate ~$100 worth combined.

For me it's not worth it. For one I don't eat all that much. And two for the wife and I that would be $46 for the two of us. Which is almost twice what we spend at Fujiyama.

Doc Brown
09-24-2009, 04:50 PM
i get their "Lunchbox" that contains two california rolls (crab) and i eat it with chopsticks, does that count?

Cryptic
09-24-2009, 04:53 PM
I hit up Fuji's for Monday and Tuesday lunches every once in a while. My family does a lot of birthday dinners for Habachi there too.

I heard about that place on Layton, but haven't checked it out yet.

PureSound15
09-24-2009, 05:01 PM
I hit up Fuji's for Monday and Tuesday lunches every once in a while. My family does a lot of birthday dinners for Habachi there too.

I heard about that place on Layton, but haven't checked it out yet.

:drool::drool::drool::drool: Hibachi!!!!!!!!!!!

You couldn't pay me to eat the raw stuff though. Never.

0TransAm0
09-24-2009, 06:15 PM
i have yet to try it... looking forward to it. just been to busy lately

Korndogg
09-24-2009, 06:17 PM

x2. The woman and I want to go sometime. This thread helps. Except we can't go on a Monday or Tuesday. Are there any places that are good but decently priced on the weekends at all? I imaging she wont eat alot of sushi but she wants to try it anyway.

TraceDaddy
09-24-2009, 07:13 PM

Glad you feel that way. What's your wifes/GF's number again.

:)

TheRX7Project
09-25-2009, 07:49 AM

x2. The woman and I want to go sometime. This thread helps. Except we can't go on a Monday or Tuesday. Are there any places that are good but decently priced on the weekends at all? I imaging she wont eat alot of sushi but she wants to try it anyway.

Make sure wherever you go is QUALITY. And keep in mind you get what you pay for (in most cases). Fujiyama and Kyoto are the two places I have been that I can speak for having good quality sushi. Nothing at all like the stuff you get from Pick n Save or the local China buffet.

94greenbandit
09-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Where is Fujiyama located

Exitspeed
09-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Where is Fujiyama located

Hwy 100 and Oklahoma (by BW3's) and on Bluemound and Calhoun in Brookfield.

I'm going for lunch special today. Yumm.

I feel bad for 11 people on here.

94greenbandit
09-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Hwy 100 and Oklahoma (by BW3's) and on Bluemound and Calhoun in Brookfield.

I'm going for lunch special today. Yumm.

I feel bad for 11 people on here.

Oh yeah I know where now. Been meaning to try that place just haven't had a chance. Gonna probably go next Saturday for the wifes B-day :headbang

Those 11 are just chicken shits and don't know what is good for them.

Car Guy
09-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Those 11 are just chicken shits and don't know what is good for them.

:popcorn

Prince Valiant
09-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Haven't tried it yet...but I live by the motto:

"I'll try anything....once"

Sometimes that's not that cool though :(

94greenbandit
09-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Haven't tried it yet...but I live by the motto:

"I'll try anything....once"

Sometimes that's not that cool though :(

I totally agree with you. You have to try something at least once to really say you don't like it. You never know you might surprise yourself

Exitspeed
09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Had Spicy Salmon, and Tuna and Avocado for lunch.

So happy right now.

That_Guy
09-25-2009, 11:39 PM
pacific bistro delafield..just plain awesome sushi..

GRAMPS SS
09-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Yokoso in Brookfield is great. The rainbow roll is awesome. Wasabi has a marina roll that is excellent. Ironically Wasabi has a great filet minion for 23 bucks.

love WASABI :thumbsup...IT'S GREAT ..and it's only money...you can't take it with ya..spend it now...

raw fish...is the 2nd tasty dish :thumbsup

Deggy
09-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I actually just tried sushi last night with a friend of mine. She told me all about it, and I had been wanting to try it for some time. So we went, she paid of course ;) and I loved it.

I will be eating sushi more often and trying some different kinds. Are their any really spicy kinda? I tried spiced tuna or something like that, but it just wasn't spicy enough. Or are their any spicy sauces I could dip them in.

And.... I suck at using chopsticks.. but I think I got it down.

94greenbandit
09-26-2009, 02:33 PM
As far as the spicy thing it really varies wear you go. Just eat the Wasabi if you like spicy. You can also ask when you go if they have something spicy. I am taking the wife next Saturday for her B-Day to Fujiyama

Deggy
09-26-2009, 02:39 PM
As far as the spicy thing it really varies wear you go. Just eat the Wasabi if you like spicy. You can also ask when you go if they have something spicy. I am taking the wife next Saturday for her B-Day to Fujiyama

Fujiyama is where I went. I also tried some beer from Japan.

johnny--2k
09-26-2009, 02:40 PM
not a fan. tried it a few times and just did not enjoy it. Then again, I'm not huge on seafood to begin with.

I do not like any shell fish (lobster, crab, shrimp) but i LOVE Swordfish, Salmon (only when done right) and tialpia....

94greenbandit
09-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Fujiyama is where I went. I also tried some beer from Japan.

I love Sapporo or Kirin

TheRX7Project
09-26-2009, 04:07 PM
The more wasabi you add to your soy sauce the more kick you get!

That_Guy
09-26-2009, 04:42 PM
The more wasabi you add to your soy sauce the more kick you get!

true!!!:headbang

1320PNY
09-26-2009, 07:42 PM
There is a couple levels of "heat" based on ingredients. Wasabi = Japanese Horseraddish (but green). You also have a real zippy Yellow Mustard and then there is a fire sauce that is Orange that is drizzled on the rolls. You can get a "Screaming Tuna" roll that has all 3. That will light up both ends!

Side note: Went to Fresh Market (Brookfield - mall parking lot) and got a good Maki (Sushi roll w/ rice) for $5.99. Go to their deli and two Japanese guys are making rolls all afternoon. I ate that for lunch and it was good. A great way to try fresh stuff for low cost and see if you like it.

94greenbandit
09-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Side note: Went to Fresh Market (Brookfield - mall parking lot).

That place is awesome. The whole place in general