PDA

View Full Version : Z28 is a Go for 11

Feature Pony
09-23-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_0909_chevrolet_camaro_z28_is_go/index.html

its a good thing I didn't get rid of my GM card!!!:thumbsup

SSLEVO
09-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Awesome. Any ballpark on pricing? Low to mid 40's?

Karps TA
09-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Sweet another car I'd never be able to afford. I wish Ferrari would come out with more models as well.

Feature Pony
09-23-2009, 02:05 PM
There was some other people talking about the price on another site, base price $50k. IDK for sure I would hope mid 40's.

Exitspeed
09-23-2009, 02:11 PM
GM has some serious hits on it's hand right now. That is helping them be able to get these kind of projects back on track. Hopefully things can continue to swing their way and we can see more of these exciting projects come to fruition again.

animal
09-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Finally something to light the fire under the ass of ford to push the shelby higher.

jbiscuit
09-23-2009, 02:16 PM
$50k? Youch. Cool looking car though.

Karps TA
09-23-2009, 02:17 PM
GM has some serious hits on it's hand right now. That is helping them be able to get these kind of projects back on track. Hopefully things can continue to swing their way and we can see more of these exciting projects come to fruition again.

I wouldn't say this would be a hit. All it does it take some sales away from Vette buyers.

A hit would be making a car that people wanted for around $20K. Everything that GM is making that is cool is a $35K car plus. How about concentrating on cars people can actually afford?

animal
09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't say this would be a hit. All it does it take some sales away from Vette buyers.

A hit would be making a car that people wanted for around $20K. Everything that GM is making that is cool is a $35K car plus. How about concentrating on cars people can actually afford?

Yay for inflation :banana

Exitspeed
09-23-2009, 02:30 PM
[LEFT][CENTER]

That's why I said:

GM has some serious hits on it's hand right now. That is helping them be able to get these kind of projects back on track.

Meaning the hits they have on their hands like the LaCrosse, Equinox, SRX, Enclave, Traverse, Regular Camaro, CTS, and soon the Cruze, help them be able to get these kind of projects (like the Z28 that will probably not be all that profitable) back on track.

Catch my drift?

07ROUSHSTG3
09-23-2009, 02:31 PM
good news for everyone. will totally believe it when i see one on road though.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I'll take one!

Karps TA
09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
But I don't care about these kind of projects if I can't afford them. I just can't get excited about overly expensive cars anymore.

Oh good rich people have more toys to choose from. Thank god! For a second I was scared.

94greenbandit
09-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Sweet another car I'd never be able to afford. I wish Ferrari would come out with more models as well.

You have until Late 2011. Plenty of time to save :headbang

BAD LS1
09-23-2009, 02:43 PM
It probably has a little to do with the 10' Camaro's popularity now and GM sees justifacation that there will actually be a market for it. with over 40,000 new Camaro's produced, you are very hard pressed to get your hands on one yet. The only ones left in dealer inventory are the ones that have 5k above sticker prices usually, and someone with too much money that HAS to have one right now will gladly pay it.

For those of you who actually plan to get one of these Z28's go straight to a large dealer like Holz who has alot of allocation and your order essentially makes it to the top of the heap. My car arrived in under 3 months from the date of order and there are some people still waiting from Jan because the selling dealer was a rinky dink one or used up all their allocation.

I really do hope Ford ups the anty on the GT with a bigger engine with more HP for 11' and teh shelby gets to 600HP, Competition is what keeps things fun for everyone, regardless of what brand you are loyal to.

SSLEVO
09-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Sht, at 50k i would go for the vette no questions asked. I'm about more all around performance than pure hp and straight line performance. I agree that it's too much for many buyers. I think at low 40's it would be a hit, at 50, not so sure.

BAD LS1
09-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Sht, at 50k i would go for the vette no questions asked. I'm about more all around performance than pure hp and straight line performance. I agree that it's too much for many buyers. I think at low 40's it would be a hit, at 50, not so sure.

Yeah but you cant get a decently equipped vette for under 50 now. But its kinda apples to oranges though, the vette is an all out sports car and the Camaro is one that trys to balance daily use with vette-like performance. But i also argue that if you are willing to pay in the 40's, is 50k really gonna bust the budget wide open? I bet that is around $50 give or take in a monthly payment over 6 years.

BAD LS1
09-23-2009, 02:54 PM

Can pick your self up a 13 sec Cobalt TC/SS for 20k ish...

Exitspeed
09-23-2009, 02:54 PM
But I don't care about these kind of projects if I can't afford them. I just can't get excited about overly expensive cars anymore.

Oh good rich people have more toys to choose from. Thank god! For a second I was scared.

You aren't everyone though. You not being able to or not wanting to afford these vehicles doesn't make them any less successful in their segments.

They have competition beating cars in numerous segments that are some of the hottest segments in the industry. The Lexus ES has been Lexus' number one selling car throughout it's history. It sells gobs and makes gobs of money for Toyota. The LaCrosse is a better vehicle then the ES inside and out no matter how you slice it. The critics are raving about this thing and it's turning into gobs of sales for GM.

The Equinox is in the same boat. This thing is going to steal sales from the CRV and Rave 4 like there's no tomorrow. To quote Motor Trend "It's the end of "good Enough" for GM.

It seems like almost every new car they come out with is being critically acclaimed and sales are reflecting that acclamation. They really haven't stumbled with any new vehicle releases in the 09-10 model years.

Now it seems the economy is turning around and that is only going to make things that much sweeter for GM.

Again, all of these things going right make these kind of vehicles happen.

I'm actually looking to buy an Equinox next year. Fully equipped with the top of the line model it's only like $34k. That's the sweet spot for me.

Karps TA
09-23-2009, 02:55 PM
If I could afford $50K plus, I could probably afford $60K and get a CTS-V and have much more car or for that matter a used CTS-V.

But I digress, I'm a hater lol

Karps TA
09-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Can pick your self up a 13 sec Cobalt TC/SS for 20k ish...

I'd rather drive a beat up 3rd gen then an econobox with an engine. I had a brand new Sunbird when I was 18. I shouldn't be going backwards in life.

Karps TA
09-23-2009, 03:01 PM
You aren't everyone though. You not being able to or not wanting to afford these vehicles doesn't make them any less successful in their segments.

They have competition beating cars in numerous segments that are some of the hottest segments in the industry. The Lexus ES has been Lexus' number one selling car throughout it's history. It sells gobs and makes gobs of money for Toyota. The LaCrosse is a better vehicle then the ES inside and out no matter how you slice it. The critics are raving about this thing and it's turning into gobs of sales for GM.

The Equinox is in the same boat. This thing is going to steal sales from the CRV and Rave 4 like there's no tomorrow. To quote Motor Trend "It's the end of "good Enough" for GM.

It seems like almost every new car they come out with is being critically acclaimed and sales are reflecting that acclamation. They really haven't stumbled with any new vehicle releases in the 09-10 model years.

Now it seems the economy is turning around and that is only going to make things that much sweeter for GM.

I'm actually looking to buy an Equinox next year. Fully equipped with the top of the line model it's only like $34k. That's the sweet spot for me.

LMAO. That's all a great story, but I distinctly remember reading 10,000 posts here about how Obama Motors was going to ruin everything about cars and we'd all be driving tiny shitboxes. Now you're saying that they are actually doing better? I'm so confused.

xFullThrottlex
09-23-2009, 03:05 PM
cool that their making it, I'll have to dream about it as it's 40k out of my price range but still cool

GOOD LS1
09-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Awesome gives me enough time to finish my z28 in the garage, sell it and get a new one in Aqua Blue Metallic!:banana

Exitspeed
09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
LMAO. That's all a great story, but I distinctly remember reading 10,000 posts here about how Obama Motors was going to ruin everything about cars and we'd all be driving tiny shitboxes. Now you're saying that they are actually doing better? I'm so confused.

I never said GM was going to fail because of bankruptcy. It's all the other negative nellys everywhere.

GM made HUGE strides over the last 5 years. HUGE. And it's my opinion that if it weren't for the recession GM may have not filed for bankruptcy.

When they filed they had some really good products on the market, and since have released even better product. And they have even more in the pipeline.

Ford, the same thing.

Chrysler is the one who is SOL. If the economy turned around tomorrow and everyone started buying cars again, they'd be the ones left out in the cold because they don't have any good products out, not do they have any in the near future. The FIAT CEO just said this week how surprised (yeah right) he was at how bad things look now. Opps.

Karps TA
09-23-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm just bored and stirring the pot. lol

Exitspeed
09-23-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm just bored and stirring the pot. lol

No prob. GM has won me over in the last few years.

I bought a 99 Grand AM GT new in 99, and after owning that car I vowed to never buy a GM car again. This was also after my Blazer, and Bonneville also were piles of shit. My dad and grandfather both worked for GM and retired from there.

I wanted to like GM again. I really did. But when i was buying these new cars, they just didn't make a car I was confident in, or anything that felt really was made for me.

Come 2005-ish they started really changing things, interior design was a big one. They went from embarrassing to some of the best interiors in the business. That trickled down to the rest of their design, and they finally started making cars that people wanted to buy.

Anyway, yeah, I'm a fan. I can't wait to buy the Equinox.

Karps TA
09-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I agree they are making better stuff, although Caddy is essentially the only brand I'd actually buy something from if I was in the position. Maybe a C6 Vette if I could afford to have it repainted.

Exitspeed
09-23-2009, 03:35 PM
I agree they are making better stuff, although Caddy is essentially the only brand I'd actually buy something from if I was in the position. Maybe a C6 Vette if I could afford to have it repainted.

Yeah the CTS (really there is onyl one car worth buying from Cadillac right now) is a fantastic car.

Wait til the ATS comes out. I'm going to be eying one of those bad boys up.

It's based off of the new Alpha Platform and will be smaller then the CTS to compete more directly with the 3 Series. This is another one of those cars that are back on track now that things are more concentrated and turning around.

This is the Holden Concept based on the platform. So basically picture that with Caddy's design language.
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/holden-aims-04-1-big.JPG

Karps TA
09-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't want smaller then a CTS. CTS is perfectly sized the way it is. Just give me the version with 2 less doors and I'll be more then content.

Feature Pony
09-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't want smaller then a CTS. CTS is perfectly sized the way it is. Just give me the version with 2 less doors and I'll be more then content.

The new 2 door is launching 2010 and I know they are making a CTS-V verison of the wagon so I don't see why they wont make one for the 2 door as well. :thumbsup

WhatsADSM
09-23-2009, 03:44 PM
This is pretty good news for camaro lovers. The Z28 has a HUGE step up in engine, that thing will be SERIOUS from the factory :thumbsup

The CTS coupe will be here eventually
http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/experience/news_ctscoupe.jsp
http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0801_cadillac_cts_coupe_concept/index.html

JOHN 86GT
09-23-2009, 04:07 PM
[quote=WhatsADSM;580259]This is pretty good news for camaro lovers. The Z28 has a HUGE step up in engine, that thing will be SERIOUS from the factory :thumbsup

If Obama aproves it...

STANMAN
09-23-2009, 05:27 PM

Yep, nothings to good for the American taxpayer!!!!

tommyt5078
09-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I couldn't be happier, since me and the rest of us own the dam company any way.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
09-23-2009, 05:47 PM

Ain't that the truth

STANMAN
09-23-2009, 05:52 PM

That's what I was pointing out. And we don't own it, that would mean we would share some of the profits if GM ever makes any again. No, we just subsidize it, as in if it continues to lose money we keep pouring it it, but the second it makes a profit it gets split up amongst the "real" owners. Maybe one day on our tax returns we will see a "GM Rebate Credit":rolf

Want_Notch
09-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the new camaro is fugly?

gottwins?
09-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the new camaro is fugly?

No, I saw one in a whine/dark cherry color pass by me the other day...I think I threw up in my mouth a little. Personally though im not a fan of the over bloated cars that companies (even imports) are making these days. I feel like im in a go-kart pulling up to these huge monsters.

jbiscuit
09-23-2009, 06:47 PM
sorry I don't dig that CTS coupe at all. That ATS looks hot!!

Reverend Cooper
09-23-2009, 08:08 PM
next car blacked out

94greenbandit
09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
next car blacked out

Have you gotten your car yet

GTSLOW
09-23-2009, 10:26 PM
So is the '11 Z/28 going to be better equipped than the SS?

BAD LS1
09-23-2009, 10:30 PM
So is the '11 Z/28 going to be better equipped than the SS?

im sure it will have some caveats that make it better aside from the 125 extra hp.

HITMAN
09-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Oh my, a $50K, 4000lb pony :rolf car with 550hp and an IRS. Enjoy your wheelhop. And your broken half-shafts. And your split pumpkin. :rolleyes:

animal
09-24-2009, 08:31 AM
^^ That price does seem perfect for midlife-crisis-having 50-something would-be-vette-owning gray-haired men. Maybe we'll see gray mullets too! :goof

946speedz
09-24-2009, 05:01 PM
my next car for sure......itll look like this
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/jmadness23/blackss.jpg

URLOZIN
09-24-2009, 06:44 PM
my next car for sure......itll look like this
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/jmadness23/blackss.jpg
That's sick!:headbang:headbang

WhatsADSM
09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Oh my, a $50K, 4000lb pony :rolf car with 550hp and an IRS. Enjoy your wheelhop. And your broken half-shafts. And your split pumpkin. :rolleyes:

Let me guess you own a Cobra. :rolf

IRS has its advantages too. Remember it is actually cheaper for an OEM to put a live axle back there than to put an IRS back there. They can also be made a little more durable than the 03 Cobra version :chair: But yea if you are just into going in a straight line than the live axle will typically fare better.

HITMAN
09-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Let me guess you own a Cobra. :rolf

I used to. Great car, shitty rear-end.

IRS has its advantages too. Remember it is actually cheaper for an OEM to put a live axle back there than to put an IRS back there. They can also be made a little more durable than the 03 Cobra version :chair: But yea if you are just into going in a straight line than the live axle will typically fare better.

Yeah, the IRS will ride nicer, and will handle better out-of-the box. After that the comparison ends. If all you want to do is cruise and drive country roads fast, then the IRS is the way to go. If you want to drag race on semi-sticky tires, fuhgetaboutit. It's too goddamned expensive to make them work on a tire you can street drive.

Oh, they make LOTS of stuff for the Cobra IRS. DSS 300M half-shafts start at $1999.99 and go up from there.:wow Full bushing kits, better braces, better strut bars, better shocks, blah, blah, blah. And if, in spite of it all, it STILL gets that semi-hook but not quite stuck wheel-hop on a launch it WILL break shit. It's just that the shit that breaks now costs triple. :rolleyes: Fuck that. You can make a SRA handle, it just won't ride as nice on the street. Whaaaaa. :violin
Compromise; it's the breakfast of fast street cars...;)

If you buy a new Camaro, and you want to drag race it with a bunch of power and not spend a zillion dollars on some semi-reliable overpriced driveline crap, just buy some dedicated drag rims and some full slicks. The car will dead hook, it won't wheel-hop, and the shit might actually survive for a while. That's the lesson learned from the ten second IRS equipped Cobra guys. Wheel-hop is the killer, not the weakness of the parts.