PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

gottwins?
09-23-2009, 01:20 AM
I always wondered if it was a good idea when selling a "non-antique car" that was restored to show the restoration? I always thought it was a good idea because it shows the time and effort that someone put into the car, some people might think otherwise and look at it as some junk car that was restored. (no pun intended).

xxsn0blindxx
09-23-2009, 07:33 AM
It certainly can't hurt to show it, but if it is a non-collector or essentially mundane vehicle, you aren't likely to get any extra for your restoration efforts. You can try selling for higher than market value, but if you make a sale it will likely take a long time to find an enthusiastic buyer willing to pay more for a restored car.

gottwins?
09-23-2009, 12:32 PM
It certainly can't hurt to show it, but if it is a non-collector or essentially mundane vehicle, you aren't likely to get any extra for your restoration efforts. You can try selling for higher than market value, but if you make a sale it will likely take a long time to find an enthusiastic buyer willing to pay more for a restored car.

Thanks, I was not wondering so much about marking up the price but just hurting the price in general? Seems like when I see like a restored eclipse (no eccident just restored) the value of it seems lower to me personally than one that did not have to be restored and is in the exact same condition.

SSLEVO
09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Are you talking about your 300z? IMO i would rather not buy a car that has been "restored." Sure it looks nice now but at one time it was beat and not cared for. I've bought all of my performance cars bone stock, that way i know no one has f'd with anything and there are no surprises. Just my .02

gottwins?
09-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Are you talking about your 300z? IMO i would rather not buy a car that has been "restored." Sure it looks nice now but at one time it was beat and not cared for. I've bought all of my performance cars bone stock, that way i know no one has f'd with anything and there are no surprises. Just my .02

Nah my Z is spoken for already...theres a deal on another Z for $1,000 though that im thinking about restoring and selling..just curious.

SSLEVO
09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Nah my Z is spoken for already...theres a deal on another Z for $1,000 though that im thinking about restoring and selling..just curious.

Ahh, i see. Are you talking about the one on CL that smoked a tree?

gottwins?
09-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Ahh, i see. Are you talking about the one on CL that smoked a tree?

nah I think I know which one your talking about though..black one right? I wanted to scavenge some parts off of it but he sold it already :-(. There's one in California im looking at..runs perfectly fine but it is primer black...hes selling it for cheap because of that and it won't pass cali smog because of his bad cats....one of the few reasons I love Wisconsin! lol I would never restore a car that's been in an accident though.

madmike
09-24-2009, 12:35 AM
After owning a shop, I would say just show the expensive parts you installed that cant be seen ie: Like H-Beam rods, forged pistons, race cam, etc. to prove they are in there.

Also dont ever let anyone know what YOU paid for the car, they dont care that you stuck $5k into it, they just see the $1k you paid for it and always think your trying to make a fortune off it!!! I have learned this the hard way!

If it was rusted out, or wrecked and you fixed it, DONT SHOW any pics of the "BEFORE" you fixed it.....

mike