PDA

View Full Version : Former US Cellular customers...Where did you switch to?

nismodave
09-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Im fed up with the BS....Want to buy a new ohone, have to sign a contract, have to sign up for some shit I dont want for 3 mos, for 10 bucks a month....Then get a 50 dollar gift card....YADDA YADDA YADDA!!!
:chair:

Where do I take my number to?:confused

Irish
09-21-2009, 07:31 PM
AT&T, you can get a refurb Iphone for $50.

noeggs4u
09-21-2009, 07:37 PM
At&t

TransAm12sec
09-21-2009, 07:41 PM
I know with Verizon if you want to purchase a new phone, it's cheaper with a contract, but not required.

The nice thing about Verizon is while the phone is under warranty, it gets replaced easily if something on it isn't working.

Off the top of my head Cricket is the only company that doesn't need a contract for unlimited calling. However calls are more likely to drop compared to a larger company.

Nix
09-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Sprint :)

03CVLX
09-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Verizon..

Ive had Sprint/Nextel and hated it. Customer Service was by far the worst I have ever seen. I attempted to go to AT&T but if you want a phone such as a blackberry or anything really expensive their insurance provider won't cover it or so I was told by the rep. He told me only the basic cell phones were insurable thru their carrier :durr

I have had Verizon for almost two years now and Love it. I have a blackberry Storm, I have had small glitches with it and with little to no effort the phone was replaced with zero argument. Plus you have Mockin U on this forum who is a Verizon rep and can hook you up with whatever you want.

Ricky Bobby
09-21-2009, 08:39 PM
verizon had a huge prob with at&t's billing and had a bad falling out so i went to verizon

That_Guy
09-21-2009, 08:44 PM
t-mobile ftw!! i pay 49 dollars a month for unlimited incoming and outgoing.. anywhere anytime...

Holeshot
09-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Been with Verizon 8 + years now. Not one issue with C.S. and I have replaced several phones with out a problem.

DirtyMax
09-21-2009, 08:47 PM
For the best coverage all over, you're already at the right place. That's the only carrier that has never failed me at any of our getaway destinations. In the city, I guess ATT so you can get the iphone if you're into gadgets. I've got extensive experience with them all.

UnderPSI
09-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I do all the PCS work at WE Energies. We install cellphone antennas up through our transmission towers. So I know that Verizon and AT&T use the best equipment. We are constantly putting up 4G wireless antennas for Verizon and att to expand their high speed internet capabilities. At the same time we are slowly putting up 3G antennas for T-Mobile. Sprint is some where in the middle. I would stay away from T-mobile because they use crappy equipment and are way behind with the technology. Sprint uses alright stuff, but Verizon and AT&T use only the best and they are putting up new equipment for the future that isn't being used yet. Great for you guys, but the antennas weigh a ton.

UnderPSI
09-21-2009, 09:21 PM

UnderPSI
09-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Holeshot
09-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Glad to hear its not all Advertising hype form Verizon. You truly get what you pay for. Thanks for the info Brad.

DirtyMax
09-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Wow, I would imagine there's nothing simple about that line of work. You must have to be on your game 110% of the time when you're that high up dealing with that kind of equipment.

Rocket Power
09-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Verizon. We last had US Cellular, it would drop calls with a full scale and talking to a landline.

Z28Envy
09-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I have Verizon and they have been great! We were having a problem getting a signal at our place when they put up a new tower in our area. Before the new tower our phones would get 3 bars on extended network, then when they put up the new Verizon tower our phones would drop calls all the time. We talked to customer service about it and they told us to give them a week and if it didn't improve to call them. Some time during the week we were able to get 2 bars on the Verizon tower so they actually checked it out and improved the signal coming toward town where we live. It has been great since. There was a Verizon truck parked across the street from our place in the parking lot during this time so I think he was checking the signal in our area because it was shortly after that we started to get good signal.

MoCkiN U
09-21-2009, 10:16 PM
If you asked me to put verizon aside and got my true opinion I would tell you verizon and att are neck and neck. I have used both and been employed by both. I didnt see much of a seperator anywhere else except down by where I live in kenosha and the suburbs here. att is not the strongest. Both companies have some really sweet equipment.

When it comes to in store service we are right there with our ability to replace the phones on the spot or at minimum ship to your front door. Those devices arent the best of quality sometimes but thats nature of the beast. Both companies are a little higher in cost but you can often get discounts from the place you work at and save money and voila...back to where you want to be. Gotta do a contract tho. With number porting out there (keep your number) the wireless carriers want to keep you long as possible plus they get the handset subsidy back when they lose money on you up front. So many people think cause they are big company they dont pay a lot for the phones but trust me, yes they do!! Just ask underpsi about the parts he installs. That crap aint cheap at all and no big company who sells those pieces gives verizon a discount so its game on. hard to give discount on new phone if you know the customer wont stay longer than 6 months on your service with not having a commitment there.

sprint: they suspended paying their employees benefits due to money loss. Sold off a large portion of their network to erickson. lost 1million customers last quarter this year. forbes reported if they didnt change business practice they wouldnt make it out of 2010. strangely enough they said the same thing about circuit city when no one thought could happen and where are we wth that?

Dude I would love to see that side of the business sometime. Really trippy to see a tower go up. Have you worked on any of the towers that are masked to look like a tree? I took a picture of this one when I was in charlotte. Its on my grandmothers property

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/IMG00234-20090806-1411.jpg

wrath
09-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Glad to hear its not all Advertising hype form Verizon. You truly get what you pay for. Thanks for the info Brad.

This is the kind of shit that can happen:
http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?list=~\news\lists\local&id=352407

It was kind of skeery.

DerangedPony
09-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I have very good luck with US Cellular. I've only dropped a hand full of calls since I started using them about 9 years ago. The phones suck but I really dont care. With whatever provided you go with, think twice before going with T-mobile. My wife currently has them and it is nothing but dropped calls or zero bars.

GTSLOW
09-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Verizon.

loud91rs
09-22-2009, 12:22 AM
I was with us cellular for 5 years, switched to verizon and within the first 6 months switched back to us cellular. Been there since. Needed a new phone last weekend, called their customer service, was helped right away, and I was not eligible for a new phone but they waived that anyway. Went to the store nearby, was treated great there as well, and cannot be happier. Verizon dropped so many calls of mine, and us cellular never does. I've heard nothing but great about verizon, but I personally wasn't happy. Try calling us and see what they can do. From what I've seen, they want to keep you and make you happy.

Z28Envy
09-22-2009, 01:02 AM
The only place I have issues with service is on 57 from Random Lake to Plymouth. I never get a good signal along there. Even with a new phone it has gotten better but still not great. My old phone was terrible. I guess the only other problem I ever have is for some reason when I text a us cell customers phone they don't get my text right away some times. It happens pretty often when I send a text to my brother. There has been many times that I have text him and he doesn't get it for like 20 minutes or even the next day. A friend I work with had this happen last week. We were leaving work and I text him but he never wrote back. The next day he told me he got the text at like 3 pm. so it was about 8.5 hours later he got it. not sure why but this has only happened to me when sending to a us cellular customer.

88Nightmare
09-22-2009, 06:09 AM
I say verizon. I've had verizon for nearly 8 years and they are great. My Palm Treo was having software issues and they sent a new one to my door no questions asked... for free. Just had to send my old one back. They also have great customer service. I've had months where I've gone over my minutes and instead of charging me for all the extra minutes, they just bumped up my plan for me instead,

UnderPSI
09-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Dude I would love to see that side of the business sometime. Really trippy to see a tower go up. Have you worked on any of the towers that are masked to look like a tree? I took a picture of this one when I was in charlotte. Its on my grandmothers property

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/IMG00234-20090806-1411.jpg

No, we don't work on the free standing structures, just the ones that go up through our transmission towers. I am sure most people don't even realize that they are up there. We have another 16 towers to do yet this year, half for verizon, seven for AT&T and one for T-mobile for 3G wireless. I don't know why T-Mobile bothers anymore with 3G when everyone else is already going to 4G.

UnderPSI
09-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Long climb on this one. 160'. Sometimes we can go up in a crane basket, but these lines were still energized at 345,000 volts.

jbiscuit
09-22-2009, 07:27 AM
AT&T all the way...I have had US Cellular, Sprint and now AT&T. Love the service, no dropped calls and works in my house (unlike sprint).

DirtyMax
09-22-2009, 07:35 AM
I based my initial post on what is most important to me which was coverage in a vast variety of areas. ATT works fine for me in the cities but I just haven't had the best of luck with ATT in the rural areas. We have a place 5 miles west of Watertown and you prettty much need to do a handstand on top of the hill to even get one bar of signal. Up at our place near Crivitz, you need to drive 2 miles down the road to get a signal. I chose this over Verizon because in these areas, it was the lesser of two evils. Per my company's contracts, I had to pick between one or the other. Because of this, I always need to keep my personal US Cellular phone with me so I can actually make calls at either of these places that we frequent.

So I guess if you primarily stay in the city, VZW and ATT should be great. But if you have a cottage somewhere, I'd talk to some neighbors and see what they have and what does and doesn't work.

ND4SPD
09-22-2009, 07:41 AM
I was with US Cellular and went to Verizon. Been pretty happy. My only real complaint is sometimes they are slow to get new devices to market. Unless they have an exclusive contract with the manufacturer a new handset will show up 6 to 18 months after a competitor releases the same device.

Mudd Runner
09-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Verizon ftw i've had sprint,at&t and us cell verizon and at&t have been the best. I can use verizon with out a problem at our cabin in three lakes and the customer service is top notch.

97z2801ss
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I like att i switched from usc for the iphone

MoCkiN U
09-22-2009, 01:06 PM
z28envy. going to sound dumb but give it a try. to those numbers you are having a issue or delay with take the (1) out of the number ex 1-262-758-1211 just have the whole number. we see this creating delays a ton due to the sms system only recognizing 10 digit numbers. The (1) backs the last number out and goes into cue to be invesitgated by the computer system and sent out which is where that delay comes from possibly

Z28Envy
09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
z28envy. going to sound dumb but give it a try. to those numbers you are having a issue or delay with take the (1) out of the number ex 1-262-758-1211 just have the whole number. we see this creating delays a ton due to the sms system only recognizing 10 digit numbers. The (1) backs the last number out and goes into cue to be invesitgated by the computer system and sent out which is where that delay comes from possibly

I don't have the 1 in either number. I don't put it in for any number. Thanks for the advice though!:thumbsup

michelle
09-22-2009, 03:31 PM
I have Verizon and like it. Just wish I would get better reception at my house. Standing in the driveway won't be too nice in winter.

nismodave
09-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Went with Sprint!!