PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place to buy O2 senors?

WanabFast
04-21-2004, 01:47 PM
My car is going on 80k and my gas mileage has gone down like a fat kid on a plate a spagetti:rolleyes: . Where could I get a pair for cheap, I know they are like 50 bucks each so the cheapest probably won't save me much? Anywhere other than autozone or checker?

02hawk796
04-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Is this the sensor I was told can be cleaned with alchol or something? Has some wire or filament? Sorry, I don't deal with O2 sensors prior to my Hawk.

WanabFast
04-21-2004, 01:54 PM
The MAF sensor can be cleaned with alcohol and a q-tip, never heard of doing that with the 02 sensor.

02hawk796
04-21-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm sure you're right. Thanks for the info. I tried that with my MAF and couldn't figure it out. Either I didn't take it apart enough, or it's a weird one.

WanabFast
04-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Yeah, the MAF has the 3 filaments that would get cleaned with alcohol or electical cleaner.

I actually found a free scan software (http://www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/download.htm) that works with OBD1 and other downloads for OBDII. I'm going to check out how that works and see if that shows that my O2 sensors do need replacing.

BAD LS1
04-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Yeah i clean my maf at every oil change on my Camaro...

It gets a 5'O clock shadow on those filaments and that messes up the sensativity. It makes a HUGE diff after every time i do it.

I use carb cleaner on a cute tip.

But the o2 sensors i usually run the bosch ones and they are about 65$ for the square 4 connector style thats used on my LS1.

I have to replace them once a year due to the fact my engine is so modified and there is no chance of it running lean as stock so the sensing fillament will get a healthy coating o carbon on it and that affects its sensing ability and responce time. They are still sharply responding and very consistent between the two on mine yet but the 02 heaters dont work like they are supposed to anymore and i get the occasional PO1133 and PO1153 codes for insufficent switching, mean they are not responding or waking up as quickly as the computer would like to see. This is mainly due to the fouling of them from carbon deposits, i never ran race gas on them mind you either.

Another thing that will wipe them out quick is if you have an exhaust leak ahead of the sensors, the fresh air drawn in from the leak will wipe the sensor out on short order.

Max 93
04-21-2004, 04:14 PM
for what kind of car?

bustamove
04-21-2004, 07:01 PM
I don't know what kind of car you have but try this guy.

Jason Cromer: 877-726-8295 or 850-243-8826 (direct parts dept ph #)
email: parts@samtaylor.com
Sam Taylor Buick/Cadillac Ft. Walton Beach, FL