PDA

View Full Version : Where else on a newer sportbike can the VIN number be found?

pOrk
09-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Fishy sale on craigslist has a bike for sale for a great price, but I suspect it may be stolen and would like to know for sure before going to look at it. The guy says the vin tag has been removed from the frame and he does NOT have a title. Think the vin is attached to the motor somewhere? Also I know it is likely stolen as he claims he doesn't know the history of the bike, but its worth looking into for the price he is asking. If nothing else maybe I will help someone else get their bike back

BoosTT
09-17-2009, 11:11 AM
If the frame stamped vin is gone, all the other vin's are gone too.

Parts or track bike only. I wouldn't even remotely concider anything else.

SSLEVO
09-17-2009, 03:38 PM
LOL, you are talking about that damn near new GSXR for 1500 aren't ya? There is no reason for the vin to be gone and he has no history on it. It has to be hot. I wouldn't buy it for any reason. I'm wondering if there is one on the motor like there is on cars though.

pOrk
09-17-2009, 03:52 PM
LOL, you are talking about that damn near new GSXR for 1500 aren't ya? There is no reason for the vin to be gone and he has no history on it. It has to be hot. I wouldn't buy it for any reason. I'm wondering if there is one on the motor like there is on cars though.

Thats what I am wondering, and thats the one I'm talking about :rolf

RanJer
09-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Pretty sure my R6 had the vin on the subframe too.. Not 100% on that though but there was something when I took off the passenger seat..

lilws6
09-18-2009, 04:34 PM
If the frame stamp has been removed the frame its self is hot. the only other places the vin is i think on the stickers on the frame? not exactly shure tho

Junky Giorgio
09-18-2009, 11:45 PM
the engine will have a vin stamped into it. have to take off fairings to see tho.