PDA

View Full Version : LeRoy Butler buys Ford dealership in Waupaca

DynoTom
09-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Former Green Bay Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler and a partner have purchased a Ford dealership in Waupaca.

The former Racette Ford dealership, which opened Wednesday as LeRoy Butler Ford of Waupaca, was purchased from Ralph Racette, who continues to operate a Ford dealership in Oshkosh.

The dealership in Waupaca had been scheduled to close until Butler and his friend and partner Scott Wilson decided to buy it. The pair met while Butler was playing for the Packers and Wilson was working with Bergstrom Automotive, the largest car dealership company in the state.

"He's looking for something where he can make money and give back to the community at the same time," Wilson said.

The dealership was down to two employees in recent weeks and will soon employ 25 people, and might expand, Wilson said.

The dealership will capitalize on Butler's status as one of the most popular former Packers from the team that won a Super Bowl and advanced to another in the mid-1990s.

"We'll be bringing in business from outside the community," said Wilson, who lives in Hortonville.

Butler also has put his house in Jacksonville, Fla., for sale in anticipation of a move to the area, said David Thiel, who runs the economic development corporation in Waupaca County.

"It's really going to be a tremendous thing," Thiel said. "I anticipate him being an active person in the community, and that can only help, recognition-wise, for a small rural county like Waupaca."

Butler and Wilson had initially sought to obtain a loan financed from the federal economic stimulus package to help with their purchase of the dealership. But the loan program they were investigating was more appropriate for larger companies floating bonds on the bond market than for this type of deal, Thiel said.

The sale was financed mostly through equity investments from Wilson and Butler but also included bank loans and a $100,000 loan through the county's revolving loan fund, Thiel said.

badass88gt
09-16-2009, 07:58 PM
My friend's dad lives just outside Waupaca. he owns a bunch of land where we camp and ride, he is going to be building a huge convienence store on the corner of 54 and Q, Butler may be involved with that also.

TransAm12sec
09-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Whenever I hear Waupaca I think of the correction facility.

0TransAm0
09-16-2009, 09:10 PM
i thought he lives in the area already? he comes into my work almost 2 times a month to shop on sundays after church... ive talked to him a couple times.

Rocket Power
09-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Whenever I hear Waupaca I think of the correction facility.
Isn't that in Waupun?

73MACH
09-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Isn't that in Waupun?

Yes, it is Waupun

TransAm12sec
09-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Whoops, never mind.

Waver
09-17-2009, 01:19 PM
well hopefully this works out better for him than CU Fleet did for donald driver

Slow Joe
09-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Nick-

It has nothing to do with Donald Driver or CU Fleet's actions after Donald Driver distanced himself from the organization.

This sounds like it will bring a good spark to Waupaca that's needed. Last I spoke with anyone from Racette they were using that dealership to help allocate more vehicles for the Oshkosh store, and hardly sold anything out of there... It'll be good to see someone that actually wants to make a go of that dealership. It's a much needed thing for the area up there...

Stangman98
10-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Someone explain to me why Leroy needs to loan to do this dealership thing?