PDA

View Full Version : XP service pack 2

Cryptic
04-20-2004, 10:10 PM
suckz ballz in some ways and in others is pretty cool.

the bad:

1.) My Network Places, behaves very very odd. Very slow to refresh anything. All my machines are a fresh install of windows too. This is more anoying then anything since I do alot over my network.

2.) IE blocks all ActiveX stuff, (yes this can be good) but for any sites with Flash on them you get a big empty space where it should be. You have to tell IE to allow it each time for each site from what I can tell so far. :gay

3.) My antivirus on my Laptop only stopped working (cant get updates) fine on the other computers, same software. WTF.

4.) no improvement yet on support of CSS, perhaps in final release (IE is way behind standards)

the good:
1.) Integrated Firewall (not as good as ZA or blackice though)

2.) Integrated IE pop-up blocker that seems to work very effieciently and silently. (gives you a tiny indicator it just blocked a pop-up and then gives you the option to view it, then it hides.
(I'm reading that alot of people think its way to aggressive and is more of a marketing tool. They didnt even concider the developemental side)

3.) UPnP framwork (it will recognize your cable modem router as a device in My Net Places)

that's what I noticed so far, just played with it today. Techinically its still a Beta service pack or "preview"

MS claims the following as well
• Network protection
• Memory protection
• Safer e-mail handling
• Enhanced browsing security
• Improved computer maintenance

read more here (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx)

Download it here (273 MB) :eek: (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/a/f/5aff45ae-ef27-4821-b666-d2b6530cbe4f/xpsp2.exe)

The big question: Should you update?
my answer: I'm formating my laptop for the 2nd time today. What do you think? :fire

animal
04-20-2004, 11:48 PM
That was a really cool thing I like about nvidia. their new graphics driver has a pop up blocker included with it :) Works well too.

Neal Steffek
04-21-2004, 12:42 AM
I just installed. Let's see how well it goes. :cool2: