PDA

View Full Version : Wall-mounted spring compressor

Dasred
09-14-2009, 06:31 PM
I have a friend with one who said he'd let me use it, but has since dropped off the face of the earth.
So, now I'm stuck half way through swapping out my stock struts for KYBs.
I just want to find a shop or someone in the West Allis area, who'd be willing to do for me or show me how to use theirs.
Just a simple spring swap from the old struts to the new ones.
It's been an incredibly busy couple of months with school and a new job, so I've unfortunately had my summer car on jack stands all damn summer.
I really want to finish this simple project.
Any help or recommendations are appreciated.

lilws6
09-16-2009, 09:00 AM
if you take it to any sorta all round shop they should be able to do it. I know out by us way in delefield tires plus they have a wall mount spring compressor i don't think theyd charge you much do have them done. maybe a closer tires plus has one as well? I know for a fact we can't let you do it tho. Its a liability thing.

Dasred
09-16-2009, 11:15 PM
CAR GUY offered to hook me up for $50, sounds like a good deal, just need to scratch the money up, things have been tight lately.
Thanks.

SSLEVO
09-17-2009, 09:33 AM
You can rent the spring compressors form most auto parts stores and return them for free. Some people say the aren't safe but i don't see any problem with them, i swaped out set of springs on my old camaro with them.

Dasred
09-17-2009, 10:21 PM
I did that last time, I heard the same things.
We did it at my friends house and used his air tools, I remember us all saying how much it would suck to do it with out an air compressor.
I don't have an air compressor and he has since moved.

SSLEVO
09-18-2009, 07:28 AM
It's not that bad to do it with a rachet. Worth it to me to save 50 bucks.