PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card balance transfers

PB86MCSS
09-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Has anyone here done a balance transfer to another credit card lately? I'm looking to do so with one my cards as the interest has gotten to be a very high amount. My other car has the same high interest rate (19.99) but with a much smaller balance, so I don't care as much about that one. Looking around it seems there are alot of 0% offers for 6 months, I'm really hoping to find one for a year as thats about how long it will take to pay off, realistically. I don't mind paying 3% of the balance as a transfer fee one time. Kind of new in looking into this, wondering if anyone has experience or some tips. My credit score was outstanding last time I checked, a couple years ago...surely its changed but shouldn't of gone up or down much either way since then. Just looking at what I'm paying each month in interest makes me wanna barf. :eek:

johnny--2k
09-14-2009, 01:29 PM
I did one to a Citi card that was 0% for a year.

Check here...

There is one Discover card that has 3.99 on balance transfers for 12 months which is not bad at all!

http://www.creditcards.com/balance-transfer.php

Korndogg
09-14-2009, 01:35 PM
i did a bank of america one that is 0% for 13 months.

Holeshot
09-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Only thing you need to watch is if your late on payment once. The rate may change to as high as 29%

Karps TA
09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I've had a bunch of great balance transfer options lately. US Bank gave me 2.9% until 2014 on transfers plus 0% for 1 year on all purchases for 12 month.

PureSound15
09-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Just read the small print. Some cards will be 0%... but not on the balance transfer amount. So you transfer and think you've got 0% but are actually paying 18% still on those transfered funds.

05caddyext
09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Call the company of the card you have and say you will close out our account if they dont lower your interest. Say "i received a letter from any bank name here, they offered me 8.99 fixed. I will drop your card if you can't offer me the same plan." Theyll do it, they need customers.

PB86MCSS
09-14-2009, 09:19 PM
I've thought about that, but unless they drop it to 1-3% range, I will move on....I highly doubt they'd do it. I called once to get it lowered about a year ago, dropped to 11.xx%, my balance wasn't too high....now its alot higher and the rate jumped, even before I went on a little spending spree.