PDA

View Full Version : Quick computer question

VroomPshhTsi
09-12-2009, 12:52 PM
When I turn on my laptop, it has a screen that shows my brother's name (his old laptop) and a password to be entered. I have the password and after I log in, the only account is in my name.

How do I get it so when I turn the laptop on, it goes straight to windows?
Or, how do I get it so when I turn it on it goes to a screen showing my name and then for a password to be entered.

I checked the user accounts settings and I can't find where to do this.

HP laptop running xp.

pOrk
09-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Control Panel / User Accounts and Family Safety / User Accounts / Turn User account control on or off

British_Ben
09-12-2009, 03:29 PM
When I turn on my laptop, it has a screen that shows my brother's name (his old laptop) and a password to be entered. I have the password and after I log in, the only account is in my name.

How do I get it so when I turn the laptop on, it goes straight to windows?
Or, how do I get it so when I turn it on it goes to a screen showing my name and then for a password to be entered.

I checked the user accounts settings and I can't find where to do this.

HP laptop running xp.

Right-click my computer and left-click manage.

Click the plus sign by Local Users and Groups and then highlight the 'Users' folder. You should see an account with your brothers name.

To remove the password right-click on it and left-click on 'set password'. Make sure all the fields are blank and click ok. You now have no password and XP shouldn't prompt you for one at boot.

To rename the account, right-click on the account and left-click rename. Set it to whatever you'd like. If you want a password, right-click, set password, put a password in and confirm it.

Hope this helps.

Control Panel / User Accounts and Family Safety / User Accounts / Turn User account control on or off

XP doesn't have UAC, and even if it did, it wouldn't be the reason that XP is prompting for a password at boot.

VroomPshhTsi
09-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Ben - I did all those things but it still asks for a password after reboot. I renamed it from my brother's name to mine but I rebooted after all this and it still asked for a password with his name and the user.

Computers suck.

VroomPshhTsi
09-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Finally got it. Control Panel - User Accounts - "Change how users sign in"

lordairgtar
09-12-2009, 11:38 PM
I finally got it too, bought new computer...er...just kidding.

British_Ben
09-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Finally got it. Control Panel - User Accounts - "Change how users sign in"

I'm glad you got it figured out. Usually removing the password removes the prompt, but I guess not this time.