PDA

View Full Version : rent/security deposit ?

4eyedstang
09-10-2009, 04:11 PM
does anyone know where to find the state law pertaining to security deposits.

i was told the landlord has 21 days to return your money or have a itemized list of repairs .

i have been waiting for more then a month and i haven't heard anything.
I left the apartment in excellent shape so there shouldn't be any issues with repair cleaning etc.
can i press them for double now?

pOrk
09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Double? No, call and see what the deal is. I'd be calling everyday till I had that money.

houstonsaxton
09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
The landlord has 21 days to mail it out. For example before I bought my house my old landlord mailed the remaining deposit to the address i was renting from them on the 21st day. This made it take about 8-10 days longer to be forwarded back to me than the normal 2-3 days in the mail. My landlord was an asshole and did it out of spite. If you had some sort of problem with them, it could be the same type of deal.

4eyedstang
09-10-2009, 04:38 PM
is that 21 days or 21 business days?

PB86MCSS
09-10-2009, 05:27 PM
I assume you turned in the keys? I believe its 21 days from when the keys are dropped off. I forget the rules but in the law there is double or triple the deposit if not returned within that window, IIRC.

Dasred
09-10-2009, 06:26 PM
A good resource:
tenant's rights (http://www.datcp.state.wi.us/cp/consumerinfo/cp/top-complaints/tenants.jsp)
It came in handy when I was dealing with one that demanded we steam clean. If it's not in the lease, steam cleaning cannot be taken out of your security deposit, unless there are major stains.
The landlord I had after that one was a lawyer and backed me up by writing a letter to the previous one after 21 days, got my money quick.

Old Dog
09-11-2009, 09:19 PM
The two links below will bring up the state laws governing landlord-tenant relationships. I believe you are entitled to damages equal to 2x the security deposit if it is not returned or accounted for within the time specified, but you will need to file a lawsuit to be able to do this. If you have no other way to recover your security deposit, I would consult an attorney before proceeding to make sure your effort & costs are worth it. Good luck.

www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code/atcp/atcp134.pdf

www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/stat0704

Silver03SRT
09-12-2009, 06:34 AM
You can sue for double. Get the papers and I can serve him or you. I did this for a friend. Judge decides if u get double.

4eyedstang
09-12-2009, 09:33 AM
thanks for the help guys.

still geting the old "checks in the mail" line.

Gregor
09-12-2009, 11:18 PM
thanks for the help guys.

still geting the old "checks in the mail" line.

That stops quick when you have a lawyer send him a letter.