PDA

View Full Version : boat painting

lasttimearound
09-08-2009, 09:47 PM
i may be trading my boat for an older mastercraft, but the mastercraft needs a new paint job, bad. has anyone here ever painted a boat or have an estimate of how much it usually costs?

SSLEVO
09-11-2009, 11:57 AM
A boat finish is quite a bit different than a car. Usually the color is under or included in the gel coat. This is the hard outer shell of the fiberglass. You can paint over the gel coat if it is in good shape. If its cracked bad you will need to remove the gel coat and re spray it on. Which is a very costly proposition. I think it's somewhere around $100 a foot, its a nasty chemical so a fresh air mask is usually required. My brother is in the process of restoring a 16' speed boat. I'm not sure what he is using for gel, i think he may be using something less toxic.

UnderPSI
09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Get it wrapped. Stretch in Waukesha does boat wraps.

lasttimearound
09-11-2009, 02:50 PM
any idea how much stretch costs? or have a website for them? do they clear over the wrap?

SSLEVO
09-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Get it wrapped. Stretch in Waukesha does boat wraps.

As in vinyl? I don't think that would last very long. Seems like a half ass fix to me.

Korndogg
09-11-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.signsandlinesbystretch.com/

lol apparently they do my company trucks. I just saw a picture of one on there haha

lasttimearound
09-11-2009, 03:32 PM
As in vinyl? I don't think that would last very long. Seems like a half ass fix to me.

i know the wraps on cars last a while, thats kind of why i was asking about the clear over it. i know they make those uv protectant clears for boats.

SSLEVO
09-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Have any pics of the area that "needs paint"

lasttimearound
09-13-2009, 04:42 PM
uh... the whole boat. its just white with faded blue stripes. i kind of want black and blue with a more modern graphics package.

SSLEVO
09-13-2009, 05:49 PM
uh... the whole boat. its just white with faded blue stripes. i kind of want black and blue with a more modern graphics package.

Ok, here is the deal, if the gel coat is cracked the boat need a lot of work. If it's just faded you can repaint it as i said above.