PDA

View Full Version : vacation ideas? WI/IL? Family w/2yr old

MoCkiN U
09-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Need some feedback on ideas for a small vacation coming up first week of november. Will be 7 days but dont need to be gone the whole time. Wanna stay remotely local (8 hour drive max). Have a $1000 budget.

Never been to the dells. Not sure if its fun for a two year old? Never been to mall of america? Not sure if thats more than 8 hours or even if worth the trip?

Got any suggestions gang? What do you and your family do?

brotherbenn83
09-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Spend a few days at Chula Vista in WI Dells. It is off the main drag so it is nice and quiet, and if the weather sucks the indoor water park is pretty cool. We took my son there this May and the year before right after his 2nd birthday, he LOVED it. Can be a bit pricey, but it should be more affordable now since we are getting into the "off" season for the dells.

07ROUSHSTG3
09-08-2009, 02:09 PM
the dells is always fun, especially for the little one. i would normally say rent a cabin up north somewhere, but it would be a tad bit cold out for a 2 year old. mall of america is a long drive and a 2 year old will have tons more fun at the dells. we usually stay at the wilderness, they have a very nice indoor water park area, and even a smaller one for the little kids.

88Nightmare
09-08-2009, 02:24 PM
try the Kalahari. They have an awesome African/Safari theme there which I would imagine would be pretty enjoyable for kids. Always seemed to be a nice clean place every time I went there. And now that its the off season, it should be decently priced. They have an awesome indoor waterpark.

Exitspeed
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Spend a few days at Chula Vista in WI Dells. It is off the main drag so it is nice and quiet, and if the weather sucks the indoor water park is pretty cool. We took my son there this May and the year before right after his 2nd birthday, he LOVED it. Can be a bit pricey, but it should be more affordable now since we are getting into the "off" season for the dells.

I second the Chula Vista. I like it's location vs some of the other resorts.

MoCkiN U
09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
awesome. guess I look into a dells trip. Sounds like 3 very different places to look at. Are there any "Dont Go There" places?

Car Guy
09-08-2009, 03:07 PM
When comparing the indoor water parks in the Dells NOTHING comes close to the Kalahari, and if you know how to play your cards right a room can be had for cheap......

cyclone70
09-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Spent the weekend in the Dells this weekend... if you go , the Wilderness has 3 indoor and 3 outdoor waterparks. All have areas for the little ones. If you go to their website and go to economy lodging, we stayed at the Fields Park Motel Paid $80 per night ( Holiday rate website shows $49 special ) and got 4 free weekend passes to the Wilderness.
http://www.dellsparkmotel.com/

MoCkiN U
09-08-2009, 03:21 PM
When comparing the indoor water parks in the Dells NOTHING comes close to the Kalahari, and if you know how to play your cards right a room can be had for cheap......

play cards right? Im not the guy who gets the ace dealt to me in the hand typically so got any good tips?

Car Guy
09-08-2009, 03:37 PM
The Kalahari has numerous corporate gatherings and give huge discounts on rooms to the people attending them. Find out what is being held that day/week/weekend and call to check on availability posing as someone who is attending ‘something’ and staying the night......

SSLEVO
09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't waste a vacation going to the MOA, sure its kind of cool to see but i would say stop in when you are passing through some time.

1320PNY
09-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Talked to Fanat1c as he takes his crew to the Dells quite often. He said Great Wolf Lodge is a good place for the 2yr old crowd as it is more suited to swings and subtle rides in the pool area. Also theme rooms oriented toward kids.

While I was on their site I saw locations = Sheboygan, WI. I guess they operate the Blue Harbor Resort. http://www.blueharborresort.com/?s_kwcid=TC|15982|sheboygan%20waterpark||S|e|35231 57614

This would be good due to the low drive time involved. Also, in November I'm sure much of the Dells other attractions are shut down, while in Sheboygan you can always go to The Horse and Plow (American Club) with the wife for a nice sit-down.

I checked out the Blue Harbor website and if you use the Code: SPLASH it seems rooms are about $100-$200 a night with passes to the waterpark.

My Sister lives in Manitowoc and has taken my Nephews once or twice. They're 4 and 6 now, but they had a great time last year.

I'm sure the Dells would be more of a "destination", but if the weather turns to shit, you can be home from Sheboygan in 3 hours.

Yooformula
09-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't waste a vacation going to the MOA, sure its kind of cool to see but i would say stop in when you are passing through some time.

AGREED! The moa is going to be a bit boring for even the 2 year old and if you make a trip there just for their amusement park, you are going to be pissed knowing it took like 6 hours to get there for a measly 2 hours worth of rides. The Dells would be my pick for a family especially the kids.

lordairgtar
09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't do the mall thing, two year olds don't do well with all the walking and waiting.

TransAm12sec
09-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Door County is classy. And Discovery world is fun for an afternoon. Maybe when the kid is around four though.

Korndogg
09-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Door County is classy. And Discovery world is fun.

and full of FIBs

lordairgtar
09-08-2009, 11:27 PM
and full of FIBs
Friendly Illinois Buddies?

xxtremeteam
09-08-2009, 11:31 PM
chula vista or wilderness or Kalahari I know wilderness has a special theme park for smaller/younger kids Im sure others do as well

Plum Crazy
09-09-2009, 08:49 AM
awesome. guess I look into a dells trip. Sounds like 3 very different places to look at. Are there any "Dont Go There" places?

Dont go to Racine or Kenosha. They suck! How about that?!

u_say_go
09-09-2009, 09:01 AM
I've got the Kalahari hookup...check your PM's Kelly

MurphysLaw88GT
09-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Door County is classy. And Discovery world is fun for an afternoon. Maybe when the kid is around four though.

and full of FIBs

Both are true. I think most of my neighbors up there are from IL.

SSLEVO
09-09-2009, 09:05 AM
and full of FIBs

Haha, yeah i would say door county is an adult destination, i guess there is biking, hiking, beaches though. I don't see it being all that entertaining for a 2 year old. Maybe when they get older. With that said, i think i need to get the lady a bike and go ride up there this fall.

CarrotTop
09-09-2009, 11:16 AM
the dells is always fun, especially for the little one. i would normally say rent a cabin up north somewhere, but it would be a tad bit cold out for a 2 year old. mall of america is a long drive and a 2 year old will have tons more fun at the dells. we usually stay at the wilderness, they have a very nice indoor water park area, and even a smaller one for the little kids.

This.

Ill be heading to the wilderness this weekend for my bday be 20. 11,12,13th.

Price not to bad. On there site if have 4 or more. Can get rooms low as $99 a night in basic room. But we are spending $295 for 3 days there only 3 of use going.

But i love this place been there plenty times 3 times last year alone.

*Indoor water park*
1 water park is HUGE wave pool. and Few group slides. and one little kiddy area.

2 water park has alot of slides hot tub and few big group rides lazy river

3rd one is basic little kids area.. They took the small wave pool and made it into bumper boats now. And has lots little kid slides and such.

Also has HUGE Game arcade along with a huge ball pit/fort thing. Bet your kid would love this to take the foam balls put them in the gun and shoot them at others. I did last year haha. Got are butts kicked by some 10-14yr old kids cause they could move quicker in the multi-lvl fort with slides tunnels and such to craw around.

Out door pools are most likely gonna be closed now most close after labor day. But do have mini golf and go karts on site now..

I did quick little look for the First week of NOV. 1st-7th 6nights Basic room (2 queens 1 sofa sleeper) would cost $750 if stayed there whole time.

*personal i didn't like Kalahari when i went 2 years ago(school trip). Water park was not all that great was just one area with few slides/wave pool/lazy river/and surf board thing which is always packed. Rooms are nice i hear.

MoCkiN U
09-09-2009, 12:32 PM
awesome feedback gang!!

Sean, I'll call ya buddy. Got busy last night. I'll call ya after work tonight