PDA

View Full Version : My 1 day old Brinkmann Grill is rusting :(

pOrk
09-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Got this sweet piece of machinery from my parents for my birthday ( early ) and couldn't wait to fire it up for my labor day party yesterday. All went well, worked like a charm and once it cooled off I wheeled it into the garage. This morning I took the grill out to cook some more sweet corn and I found 2 patches of surface rust on the "stainless" hood. Whats that about? I'm assuming the inside of the hood surround wasn't painted good enough and thats where its coming from, but its ON the stianless and it ain't coming off. Do I live with it, or disassemble and return to Home Depot? This is my 2nd grill, as the one my parents brought over was damaged ( box was pretty tore up ) at the handle, 2 LARGE dents w/ creases.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/birthdaygrill.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/rustyhoodfull.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/New%20House/rustyhood.jpg

DirtyMax
09-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Buy new grill, exchange hoods, return grill.

/thread

PonyKiller87
09-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Return it, take the money and buy an MHP, it will be the last grill you ever have to buy. Heavy cast aluminum housing and all stainless burner parts.

Anakonda69
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
weber ftw. gas grills suck. charcoal is the only way to go.

pOrk
09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Buy new grill, exchange hoods, return grill.

/thread

That looks like it will be my best option

Return it, take the money and buy an MHP, it will be the last grill you ever have to buy. Heavy cast aluminum housing and all stainless burner parts.

Whats an MHP?

Not interested in a charcoal grill.

BoosTT
09-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I also learned the hard way, you get what you pay for with a grill.

I would return the entire thing and get a different name brand grill. Do you really think the new hood is going to look any better 6 months from now?

pOrk
09-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Brinkman is a name nrand grill, and it was a birthday gift what choice did I have?

fly5150
09-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Stainless doesnt rust........

pOrk
09-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Stainless doesnt rust........

Good Stainless doesn't rust*

88Nightmare
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I'd exchange it again. Exchange it for a new one, use the fuck out of it, and after you get whatever kind of life out of it, go buy a better one. Your folks would see you getting plenty of usage out of their gift, you get some good food, and when the thing completely falls apart, you can go buy an even better one.

07ROUSHSTG3
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
yeah, i have a brinkman grill just like that and have hated it since i bought it. the finish looked so crappy after the first time using it that i don't even bring it it the garage or cover it anymore. i sits on my deck for the couple times i use it a year. my buddy has a weber and that thing is the cat's ass. i wouldn't even go through the trouble of swapping covers and returning it, the new one will probably do the same thing. my next grill will be a nice Weber gas grill, when my brinkman's heaters rust, which should be any day now.

PonyKiller87
09-08-2009, 03:21 PM
MHP - Modern Home Products - There made in IL

www.mhpgrills.com

Theres only one place in milwaukee that I know of that sells them, its just off HWY100 and Silverspring. Depending on size and options they cost anywhere from $300-$2000 But like I said they last forever and they work great.

I convinced my dad to replace his POS grill with one and hes had it for about 5 years now, sits out side with no cover year round and it still looks good and fires right up everytime.

Anakonda69
09-08-2009, 05:37 PM
stainless does oxidize. just doesn't scale rust.

lordairgtar
09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Brinkmann is similar in quality to CharmGlow grills, in fact the two grills often are exactly the same. They are made in China. I would use your new grill and enjoy it as much as you can. Your food will still be good regardless of the rust issue. It's just a bad grade of stainless. Just be aware of the Chines made regulator as they have been subject to recall in the past. You can upgrade to Weber or MHP (both made in Illinois) later as fundage allows. You will be happy, the 'rents will be happy and yer tummy will be in Nirvana.

1320PNY
09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
You got "Stain-less" steel. Probably 303, which has enough ferrous metal to oxidize, or when it was manufactured it was done on a table made of ferrous metal and the impregnated steel is oxidizing. You want 304.

Grilles appear to be disposable items. If you're bent on having something sexy forever, I say build your own. :headbang

Yooformula
09-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I have the same grill. I dont have that rust but it no prize winner either. I used the same grill at the BCM car show last year and it does a good job and takes a beating. I didnt get a chance to bring mine in last winter and it got tossed about 15' during a really bad storm we had and its still holding out pretty well! For the price it wasnt bad but I would simply spend more next time for a really good one.

HITMAN
09-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I agree with the others that say use it until it pisses you off and then get a good grill.

My last cheap grill was a Char-Broil. And had it not been hot enough to burn the shit out of me and set my house on fire, it would have gone right over the balcony after it burned a beautiful Porterhouse on the first side so badly that the meat was charcoal over a quarter inch in. I set the steak on the grill, closed the lid, came inside and set the plate in the sink and gave my mushrooms/onions a quick stir. I then went out to my poor steak's funeral pyre. The most massive flare-up Ive ever had, I've never had meat burn so badly and so quickly. I finished murdering my steak, closed the lid, let the grill cool down and calmly wheeled the POS through my living room, down my stairs, through the garage and down to the end of the driveway. No more cheap grills! I went down my buddy's hardware store and bought a Ducane and have never looked back. In the 7 years I've owned it, I've had to replace the ceramic stones once and clean the burner orifices once.(Needs it again) If I ever seek a replacement for this grill I will likely buy a Weber gas grill with the cast iron grates and invest in a rotisserie right away. (I should have bought a Ducane with a rotisserie, but I was undergoing sticker shock at the time. That's the difference between being used to a $125 Char-Broil and a $500 Ducane.) :wow

Slow Joe
09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Get a Kenmore Grill... Mine's 10+ Years old, not rusty, works like a charm, and has NEVER been covered nor stored inside... I got it from my dad last year, and this thing's awesome... I had a UniFlame Grill (walmart) and it had the fake stainless and did the same thing... I did sell it at a rummage though for $25 :rolf

pOrk
09-09-2009, 06:53 AM
I burned the shit out of my burgers on this thing too and figured I just left them on too long, but the grill flares up like fucking crazy as soon as the grease starts dripping.

It is what it is for 200 bucks I guess. Brinkmann returned my email with the comment "It clearly states in the owners manual that surface rust isn't covered by warranty, weather the grill is 3 days old or 3 years old." Nice. I'm gonna keep it till it dies, and by that time next year hopefully I can afford a new one :) Thanks for the tips

94greenbandit
09-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I have a Napolean Grill, nice porcelain hood so i know that won't rust.

Matchew
09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Pork take a magnets to you stainless and see if it stick to it if it does you got something other then 300 ser. stainless most like 200 o 400 ser dam china

but if it dont stick stack a fine scuf pad to it.

most likely they use the same belt at the shop to polish stainless and mild and there just metal frag on the surface.

kirks5oh
09-09-2009, 11:26 AM
weber genesis series. sold at lowe's. you get what you pay for. the cheaper grills will go through burners every 2-3 years and tend to cook unevenly. i would use it until it goes bad or exchange the top

-stew-
09-09-2009, 11:57 AM

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/Valigarmander/Random%20Crap%204/1234661466475.gif
BBBWWWAAAHHH!!!!!

indyzmike
09-09-2009, 02:39 PM
FYI, Rokamco, the grill store on about 50th and Lincoln, is going out of business. They might have some good deals but they were overpriced to begin with.

lordairgtar
09-09-2009, 03:31 PM
FYI, Rokamco, the grill store on about 50th and Lincoln, is going out of business. They might have some good deals but they were overpriced to begin with.
Weren't they a Charmglo dealer? Same junk as Brinkmann.

WilliamZ
09-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I purchased my 1st gas grill this year. I got a gas Weber from Home Depot. 3 burner. I assembled it myself and I'm glad I did. You appreciate the quality of the Weber grill. All the other brands are flimsy and cheap.