PDA

View Full Version : Wacked out instr. cluster on 01 F150

Rocket Power
09-07-2009, 06:05 PM
On my way home in my truck the instrument cluster started going bonkers. All the idiot lights would blink on and off and the gauge needles would be real low and quiver. Then it would fix itself and 'reset' like when you first start it . Then it would do it again and reset. It did it more and more frequently as we drove from Big Bend to West Allis. The truck didn't run any different.

Any ideas?

Gregor
09-07-2009, 06:14 PM
broken or loose wire?

Holeshot
09-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I have seen this with failing batteries / and charging systems.

Rocket Power
09-30-2009, 10:24 PM
I have seen this with failing batteries / and charging systems.

It's getting 14.5 volts to the battery when running and cranks over good and fast.
I replaced the positive cable end since it was very corroded with that nice green fungus:goof
Well the problem went away for a couple days and came back today. My wife called and said she couldn't get the truck started and the guages and lights were going crazy and it would just crank and not fire. Got there with my key and same thing, like there was no spark. I assume the non starting had something to do with the PATS/anti theft system.
I suppose I could put a new end on the neg cable to but I thought I got it pretty cleaned off.
Is there a relay or module that would affect both systems?

07ROUSHSTG3
10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
the clusters in those trucks go out all the time. very common. sounds like you need a new one. check the scrapyards, they are all over the place. will cost you a bit of labor to have a dealership get the keys programmed and whatnot, but not a huge deal.

Rocket Power
10-01-2009, 05:54 PM
How do I get the truck there for them to program, I assume I would have to have it towed? Would they set the odometer to what it's at currently?

Rocket Power
10-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Heres a vid I took tonight with my phone when it acted up .I put on the turn signal,since I was turning all teh other blinking lights are the truck. Pardon the music, my kid likes 103.7.:goof
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/vista461/?action=view&current=VID00023-20091001-1912.flv

Rocket Power
10-09-2009, 10:41 PM
i've noticed that the gauges act more crazy the faster the truck is going, also if the gauges are going nuts when the key is first turned on the truck won't start, but if they go nuts after it's started then it runs fine. :confused
Still sound like the cluster?
SOmeone suggested the GEM module but the symptoms I've seen listed by others sounded more like stuff would randomly turn on or off

Reverend Cooper
10-10-2009, 06:04 AM
eric wont the GEM module do that also?

07ROUSHSTG3
10-11-2009, 09:14 PM
eric wont the GEM module do that also?

yeah, it is either the GEM or the cluster. 99% of the time on those trucks it is the cluster. really the only time i have seen GEMs go bad is when water or something mess them up.

putting a cluster in is easy. take a junkyard cluster and the truck to the dealer. install the cluster in the parking lot and when you are done have them program the keys and whatnot. save you a bit of labor costs doing it that way.

Rocket Power
10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
yeah, it is either the GEM or the cluster. 99% of the time on those trucks it is the cluster. really the only time i have seen GEMs go bad is when water or something mess them up.

putting a cluster in is easy. take a junkyard cluster and the truck to the dealer. install the cluster in the parking lot and when you are done have them program the keys and whatnot. save you a bit of labor costs doing it that way.

Yeah it seemed like GEM and water went together for the most part and it started acting up during the 3 wks of no rain here and it hadn't been to car wash then. Does the cluster interact with the key for the PATS also?

07ROUSHSTG3
10-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah it seemed like GEM and water went together for the most part and it started acting up during the 3 wks of no rain here and it hadn't been to car wash then. Does the cluster interact with the key for the PATS also?

yeah. the key info is stored in the cluster. that is why you will need to get to the dealer before you install the replacement cluster, otherwise you will need to pay for a tow.

Rocket Power
10-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Can they set the odometer or am I stuck with what ever the cluster has on it?

07ROUSHSTG3
10-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Can they set the odometer or am I stuck with what ever the cluster has on it?

if you get a used one, i am pretty sure you are stuck with whatever number is on there. the only way to get your reading would be to order new one from ford. pretty sure, i can check tomorrow and find out for sure.

Rocket Power
09-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Well finally fixed it. It had gotten to the point it was really hard to get it to reset with the hit the dash/push on the tripometer button method.:goof
Figured I had nothing to lose
Turns out the were three broken solder joints on the cluster circuit board. Reflowed the solder and it is all better. If I had known it would've taken less than an hour and been so easy,I would've fixed it back then:rolf