PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Engineer free for a Student?

TransAm12sec
09-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey,

My professor mentioned Pro-E would give a copy to students for free, but the offer expired. He said it was in the news and events section here (http://ptc.com/appserver/mkt/educational/program.jsp?&im_dbkey=52395&icg_dbkey=851)

Anyone know about this program, or how to get the program legally for free as a student?

BlackLightning
09-04-2009, 10:34 PM
it looks like it is still on there.

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/forms/index.jsp?&im_dbkey=86840&im_language=en

drewbird91
09-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Anyone know about this program, or how to get the program legally for free as a student?

I use this software every week day. What more would you like to know about it? Depending where/if you go to school, the school might have the software for you to use when you are there or on their network.

twicks69
09-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Drew, is there any way to get a free copy? I would love to learn Pro-E$$$.

drewbird91
09-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Drew, is there any way to get a free copy? I would love to learn Pro-E$$$.

I would try that school one, if you have a school email. I know that is expensive for each seat we have at our company. Another idea is to maybe go to one of the school bookstore's and see how much the student edition is at say MSOE or WCTC. I'm sure there are other ways to get it for free, just probably not legal.

Pro-E is harder to use than Solidworks, but once you use it and get more into it, the software is pretty powerful.

Let me know if you need some parts designed. I saw your radiator drawing and that is something that could be pumped out quickly in Pro-E.

TransAm12sec
09-06-2009, 09:56 PM
it looks like it is still on there.

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/forms/index.jsp?&im_dbkey=86840&im_language=en

Perfect! I downloaded it, but never got around to installing it yet.

I use this software every week day. What more would you like to know about it? Depending where/if you go to school, the school might have the software for you to use when you are there or on their network.

The software is on the computers at UWM, however this would be for simple work at home on my personal computer.

Do you know how to do the reverse of a part, for castings/molds?

I need to learn how to set up toolpaths using Pro-E within the next few months also.

drewbird91
09-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Do you know how to do the reverse of a part, for castings/molds?

I need to learn how to set up toolpaths using Pro-E within the next few months also.

I know a way to copy all the surfaces of one part into another part to make a mold/casting. That would make the mold/casting dependent on the other part so as you update something on the part it should change the mold/casting. You could use "publish geometry" or create an assembly and copy surfaces from the part into the mold and use surfaces to remove (solidify) the original part. Just start your mold with a big box and remove all the other stuff.

Now that doesn't address where the gates should be, vents, slides, air vents, .......but I don't know how complicated your original part is.

I'm not so sure about toolpaths and stuff in Pro-E because we send that stuff to tool makers and they don't use Pro-E for that. I do more part design.

TransAm12sec
09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I downloaded it, and it works great! It took awhile on a DSL connection, but oh well.

I'll have to play with the publish geometry feature in the future.

Thanks everyone!

SSLEVO
09-09-2009, 07:45 AM
We have ProE at work and i would much rather use solidworks. To me solidworks is much easier to use, more powerful and cheaper, where do you go wrong there? I hate this working directory crap.