PDA

View Full Version : Bodily Injury & Pain/Suffering Settelements

VroomPshhTsi
09-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I have a question for anyone (specifically those involved in a motorcycle accident where the other person was at fault) who was in an auto accident that resulted in some sort of scar/physical pain. I was wondering what kind of settlement is normal in a case where I (motorcycle rider) was not at fault, but I was injured physically (see my thread in the motorcycle forum for pics, happened two months ago) and it left a decent sized scar on my right knee.

I'm fully healed from it as far as being physically able to do stuff. So the only lasting effects are the scars. I also was very limited in my physical activity for about a month.

The other guy's insurance is ready to settle and I'm more than ready to settle and put this whole thing behind me. But I want to make sure they aren't completely lowballing me. I don't want to have to get a lawyer because then the settlement I'm looking for will go up much higher because the lawyer will need his take.

So any riders out there who weren't at fault in their accident? What kind of settlement is realistic for the bodily injury/pain & suffering portion? (I've already settled for the property damage).

Prince Valiant
09-04-2009, 11:10 AM
General rule of thumb is three times the cost of your medical bills is what I've heard most...which is why car accident victims are generally steered into treatment by lawyers to pad the bills somewhat...

Yooformula
09-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I would imagine the lawyer would also get more money in your settlement overall making it worthwhile.

Dr.Buick
09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
i broke both legs, and hands, have rods and pins in my body, because of someone ealse, the 3 times is a good ruel of thumb, and it does not seem like you are to bad for were, a lawer takes 30% plus the leg work, so think about that, to settle this fast is a gift mine took 2 years.

pOrk
09-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I'd say 2 times to settle, 3 times if you hire a lawyer

VroomPshhTsi
09-04-2009, 11:40 AM
K thanks for the input so far. It's only been two months since the accident, but it seems like this process takes forever. Their first offer was twice the medical costs and I refused it. Their current offer is just short of 3 times the medical costs (we're talking under a grand though).

-stew-
09-04-2009, 11:41 AM
I'd call some of the local ambulance chasers.

juicedimpss
09-04-2009, 11:56 AM
General rule of thumb is three times the cost of your medical bills is what I've heard most...which is why car accident victims are generally steered into treatment by lawyers to pad the bills somewhat...

correct.and out of that,1/3 pays the dr bills,1/3 goes in the lawyers pocket,and you get the remaining 1/3

VroomPshhTsi
09-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd call some of the local ambulance chasers.

They chased me. I have 20+ letters from lawyers :rolf

-stew-
09-04-2009, 12:32 PM
They chased me. I have 20+ letters from lawyers :rolf

Call 'em up! Talk to a few. Hupey and Kondos advertise to riders. Take a day or two and stop into some of their offices. Can't hurt. Just make sure they get you more than 30% more then the insurance company is currently offering, other wise you will be losing money.

juicedimpss
09-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Call 'em up! Talk to a few. Hupey and Kondos advertise to riders. Take a day or two and stop into some of their offices. Can't hurt. Just make sure they get you more than 30% more then the insurance company is currently offering, other wise you will be losing money.

i wouldnt consider their offers until you are FULLY healed.

buttersgt350
09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
if you dont have any real lasting injuries other than the scars i say take the offer. a lawyer might be able to get more dough but after you pay him and fees and whatever else you might not be getting much more. and you also said you wanted to put it behind you, i think a lawyer would draw out the process. good luck.

kirks5oh
09-06-2009, 11:43 AM
if you dont have any real lasting injuries other than the scars i say take the offer. a lawyer might be able to get more dough but after you pay him and fees and whatever else you might not be getting much more. and you also said you wanted to put it behind you, i think a lawyer would draw out the process. good luck.

+1

take what you need to replace/fix the bike and riding gear--and then double medical bills, and consider yourself lucky, and move on. i've seen some nasty bike wrecks before, which is why i'll never own one--rarely the bike's fault, but it obviously does not matter.