PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone question Sprint and AT&T

SSDude
09-03-2009, 07:55 PM
We currently have two cell phones with two different carriers.
I would like to switch the phone numbers between carriers.

My phone, the AT&T, we have had forever and have a pay as you go plan.
The wifes is with Sprint and has more minutes and texting as part of the rate.

My phone usage has increased and I would like to move my number to the sprint account which would save us money, and give the AT&T to the wife as she hardly ever uses her phone anyways.
Can we get the numbers switched?

domokun
09-03-2009, 08:36 PM
short answer. no.

long answer. yes. but takes porting both ways, which is a pain in the ass

jbiscuit
09-03-2009, 08:48 PM
why not just do a family plan with AT&T? I couldn't wait to eliminate my Sprint plan since it barely worked in the house here. AT&T has been great thus far....just over a year for me. Jeni had it for years prior and never had an issue. Great phone selection, rollover minutes, $5/month unlimited texting for the 2 of us. Can't beat it

SLOWC5
09-03-2009, 09:03 PM
And the joys of the SIM card. Buying any phone you want that uses the GSM network and plug your card and go. I have had AT@T for 12 years, love it. I have not bought a phone from an AT@T store in at least 5 years.

JEFF

British_Ben
09-03-2009, 09:31 PM
And the joys of the SIM card. Buying any phone you want that uses the GSM network and plug your card and go. I have had AT@T for 12 years, love it. I have not bought a phone from an AT@T store in at least 5 years.

JEFF

I have to agree. The SIM card thing is excellent. My latest phone is not through an AT&T store either. As for the service it has been top notch. I have heard many complaints about Sprint service, however. It really depends on your area with Sprint.

97z2801ss
09-03-2009, 10:26 PM
I have herd lotta people hate att but they have been super good to me

pOrk
09-04-2009, 06:46 AM
If AT&T could touch the plan I have with sprint, I would consider switching for the iphone.

I have unlimited everything besides minutes, 1250 minutes a month for 49.95.

Arigmaster
09-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Verizon and US Cellular have the best coverage around here. I am not sure who's plan is better because I don't pay for cellular (ever) service. You can keep your original phone numbers with most companies now too. Had mine for years through three different carriers.

03CVLX
09-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Just thought of something. Is your wife still in a two year or any type of contract with Sprint? Because, when you port your number to another carrier it automatically cancels your account with the previous carrier. If your still in a contract you will get charged the early termination fee and the sprint account would technically be closed.

If you went to a store and explained it all it might work out in the end but as far as I always understood it once the port request goes in, that old plan and account are permanantly closed.

SSDude
09-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Just thought of something. Is your wife still in a two year or any type of contract with Sprint? Because, when you port your number to another carrier it automatically cancels your account with the previous carrier. If your still in a contract you will get charged the early termination fee and the sprint account would technically be closed.

If you went to a store and explained it all it might work out in the end but as far as I always understood it once the port request goes in, that old plan and account are permanantly closed.

The AT&T is on a very old plan and we have been very fortunate we haven't been forced to upgrade. We only pay $9 a month for the account and pay for what we use usually .09/min and .20/text. Ted the owner of the AT&T store on Hwy100 and Lincoln rocks.
The Sprint is a added line with the daughters account. I think it is like $25/month for 400min with free nights and weekends.
were not heavy phone users so we don't need anything more. I think I'll just suck it up and get out the new number to people.