PDA

View Full Version : More fuel questions

Gregor
09-01-2009, 11:04 PM
I am finishing up my fuel system this week. The distance from my pump to fuel reg is about 17 feet. I need to go with hard line because of the NHRA rules. And since they can not be installed in the driveshaft tunnel the run on the outsides of the front subframe and on the insides of the rear subframe. This leaves the lines exposed about 4 feet under the floor boards. I used a 25 foot coil ( about 16 after the smoke cleared) to run from the brake valve to the rear brake hose. And was going to copy the path.

Is it Ok to use aluminum line for a 70% strip 30% street for fuel? I was going to use compression fittings for the ends. Since 3/8 compressions use 3/8 NPT threads. And a compression fitting is good up to 100 psi and this is a carb'ed 302.

Will the lines crack after time if I use aluminum? I will be clamping them down about every 1 or so to keep them from moving.

The plan is to go SS braided (-6 AN) from tank to HP1 filter, the filter and pump are connected. Then 3/8" hard line from pump to regulator. And reg to carb is (-6 AN) SS braided. With only 400 Hp being the top the engine will ever put out. (stock 5.0)

DRK
09-02-2009, 12:24 AM
I've seen aluminum fuel lines hold up in 45yr old road race cars that run nothing but race fuel. I would go with -8 to the pump and a 1/2" hard line to the reg though, especially if it's a dead head system.

1320PNY
09-02-2009, 11:34 PM
We buy stainless tubing from jorgensen in Chicago for 2.89 a foot. I
sure if you wanted stailess we could get you one 20 footer.

Gregor
09-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Its all good now. After talking to few people on the site they gave me the blessings to go with the Alum 3/8 tubing from the pump to regulator. Turned out well. Used all the tools that I normally use for brakes, minus the 37* flairing kit.