PDA

View Full Version : Thread sealant for fuel system

Jeff
09-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm helping a friend of mine with some stuff with his STI, he put on aftermarket fuel rails and on the front and back side they have connections going into the fuel rail with a pipe thread that require a sealant or tape of some sort, we were brain storming today and found that the regular teflon tape would not be good with the gasoline or other petroleum based products for that matter and I was curious what other people have used to seal, I think one place I looked said yellow teflon tape can be used but that's primarily for natural gas, and somewhere else said the black non hardening permatex would work. What have others used with success ??

If this is in the wrong forum please move.

DirtyMax
09-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Either of these appear to be gasoline resistant although I havent personally used either...

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Aviation_Form-A-Gasket_No_3_Sealant_a.htm

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/thread_compounds/a_thread_sealants/Permatex_Pipe_Joint_Compound.htm

I definitely wouldn't use the white Teflon tape though..

Gregor
09-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I have used the permatex high performance thread sealant. It comes in a tube not a roll.

awsomeears
09-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Fast times sold me a bottle that APR offers, I think it was $8 or $12

The stuff works great and if you get some in the fuel it will just dissolve and not plug an injector

4eyedstang
09-02-2009, 07:16 AM
bar soap

HY35F2T
09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Either of these appear to be gasoline resistant although I havent personally used either...

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Aviation_Form-A-Gasket_No_3_Sealant_a.htm

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/thread_compounds/a_thread_sealants/Permatex_Pipe_Joint_Compound.htm

I definitely wouldn't use the white Teflon tape though..

Excatly what i used,works fine.Yeah teflon should be strickly used as a "I only have this and the stores are closed and have to drive my car"thing and even then id maybe only use it on coolant temp sensors if that.

Jeff
09-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I was trying to find the permatex locally but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So I think I'm going to end up going with the ARP thread sealant. Thanks for the help though guys.

DirtyMax
09-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Regarding that APR product...

If it's being used to seal fuel lines to prevent fuel leaks and seepage, yet it dissolves if it comes in contact with fuel... that would conern me, no? Am I missing something here?

Jeff
09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I read that too and I thought it sounded a little fishy, I contacted ARP and talked to a tech and all he could tell me is what I read off the web site:
Teflon based with rust and corrosion inhibitors.
Effective range: -30° to 55°F.
Sealant range: 10,000psi (pressure).
Application: Delivers a flexible leak-proof seal in aluminum, steel, stainless steel and plastic against gasoline, water, coolants, natural gas and LPG.

I also talked to Fast Times and C&S both of whom stock it and the people I talked to said nothing but good things about it. They did tell me to only put it on aft of the first thread.

Russ Jerome
09-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Do NOT use teflon tape, paste YES.

One hair size peice of tape will plug a $100 injector, lean out cylinder...take out piston...bend rod...wreck pan....wipeout from the oil slick...roll car....no tape in fuel systems.

awsomeears
09-02-2009, 09:37 PM
What I was saying is that its better to use the ARP stuff because if you WERE to accidentally get some in the fuel it would break down and PASS threw. If you had a spec of Teflon tape get in the fuel system it can clog an Injector and possibly hurt your motor depending on when that happens.

1320PNY
09-02-2009, 11:12 PM
NPT is National pipe thread. 1 degree 47 minute thread pitch which engages the fourth and fifth threads simultaneously. NPTF is a fuel rated pipe thread that Only engages one thread and requires no addition of sealant. If you are in need of the proper fittings, let me or FANAT1C know and we can source them for you.

badass88gt
09-02-2009, 11:28 PM
I use the ARP stuff on all of my fittings.