PDA

View Full Version : Looking for outboard motor advice

ThatWhiteCivic
09-01-2009, 01:30 PM
My buddy bought a small fishing boat a few months ago and now he is having some issues with the outbaord motor. He and I have never played with boat motors much, so he was looking for a cheap and reliable place to get it serviced.
The motor is a 1979 (I think) Chrysler 9.2 HP outboard. It is bogging down at wot and sometimes in the lower RPM range. The pull chain is also stuck somewhere.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Silver03SRT
09-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Clean out the carb change the plugs and check where the chain is binding. Any service place will charge you around 75 to 100 per hour to fix it.

Russ Jerome
09-01-2009, 04:13 PM
The Chrysler ignition system will require a year specific manual to diagnose if it turns out to be electronic......gave up on the last one I looked at for a guy without the correct manual :(

ThatWhiteCivic
09-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Kind of looking for somebody who knows what they are doing because there are only so many days we can get out on the water this year. Don't want to mess something up and take it off the water the rest of the season.
As it sits, it gets they job done, just slowly.

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Hate to tell you this but that motor is just about unservicable as Chrysler/Force/US Marine outboards have been out of production for so long and even when new were mostly unpopular.
Parts on the internet and maybe general small engine service or an old head who worked on Force outboards can help you.

I would be looking for a cheap late model 4 stroke 9.9, Tohatsu/Mercury, Nissan, Honda......Bout a G for that and reliable.

ThatWhiteCivic
09-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I had gotten the idea that they were fairly unloved motors. My friend just wanted to take a stab at basic, cheap maintainance before looking elsewhere. Outboard motors are not cheap!

ThatWhiteCivic
09-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Took your adivice, we changed the plugs and cleaned the carb...Seems to run nice. See how it goes on the lake.
Took the cover off the motor, and everything was super clean and well put together. Think it was running oil rich in the fuel mixture. Now closer to 45:1 per dealer reccomendations.

ThatWhiteCivic
09-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Turns out that it still wants to bog down at WOT. Did some research and it seems that the motor is somewhat of a white elephant, only made from 1966-1967. Your're right, parts may be pretty hard to find.
Might be in the market for a decent used motor. Hate to sink money into a sinking ship.

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-03-2009, 01:18 PM
There is a place on Layton Ave a piece east of 794 and on the south side of Layton, I believe its call R&R Sporting Goods and Marine.
I Think they use to sell OMC and at this point are probably working on just about all brand outboards, tho I suspect they may also say "white elephant"

Have you played with the mixture screws at all ? Nothing to lose right ?
You're right about outboards being $$$.
Also consider, its 40 years old, would you wanna go WOT after 40 years of service ?
I try not to beat on that old junk too much and I think WOT is beating it.

Chrysler was buying up West Bend Aluminum Co. around the time your motor was built West Bend Aluminum, a longtime maker of outboards in of all places, West Bend WI. Now those are obsolete.
I have about a 7.5 West Bend, the high speed mixture screw is a dial on the control panel and is adjusted often.

ThatWhiteCivic
09-05-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by high speed mixture screw?