PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering.

TraceDaddy
08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
I know there is a lot of hate on Brett Favre. I can't help but think that some of that might be from "younger" members who didn't live through the years, many many years, that the Packers sucked before Brett Favre arrived. (My high Senior daughter has never known anyone else.) And it wasn't gradual. The year he arrived we were playoff contenders. The year he left we weren't.

Spare me the bullshit. I don't begrudge Aaron Rodgers anything. He's been completely professional throughout. I hope he's frickin' fantastic. Hopefully he can build on last years success. I do like him.

But...It seems that some people have come to "expect" that every Packer season will be a winning one. It's not as easy as it looks.

As a manager I have to sit through all kinds of seminars on what different generations expect from their employers. Apparently, the younger crowd expects affirmation for the slightest accomplishment. As if, "just trying real hard" is good enough. I'm not from that school. I prefer to win.

Any other "Old Schoolers" out there?

Yooformula
08-31-2009, 11:20 PM
I like to break fan's balls because it seems so many Farve fans arent necessarily Packers fans. Imo a fan of the Packers should be a fan regardless of their qb. I have heard of so many haters of the Packers because Farve left. It just seems fair-weather to me as too many times in the past so many wanted brett gone because he was doing poorly....sounds too much like dolphin fans to me. You think aaron rodgers was bad, try having Kordell stewart for a qb..lol! I was still a fan no matter what!

Prince Valiant
08-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Fan of the Pack, fan of brett. Doesn't bug me one bit that he's a vikqueen...not at all. Should he stop playing because the pack wanted to move on? Hell no! Should he pick teams based on what's best for the pack? Again, HELL NO! He should go with whatever team, be it the bears/viqueens/whoever wants to pay him to play.

Personally, I think it's great he's playing. Add another element to follow, more entertainment to enjoy. And I'll STILL love watching the pack beat the viqueens up in MN.

DynoTom
09-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Old timer here .....Do you guys remember when Bob & Brian used to have the skit called "All My Packers" ?????

It was a skit they did when the only thing you could talk about when talking about the packers was how shitty they were....Favre was a pretty welcome change from "The Magic Man" ......

Karps TA
09-01-2009, 07:49 AM
I remember all the shitty years before Favre, and that's why I'll never have anything but respect for the guy. I vivdly remember the Blair Kiels, the Anthony Dilwigs, Randy Wrights, and Rich Cambells.

The Packers were a multi QB team before Favre came, besides a brief time with Majkowski, we never knew who the starting QB would be most years. All we knew is the guy would most likely suck.

For the life of me I just don't get the hate. Maybe if Rodgers stunk up the place I could see the resentment from fans. But he's been much much better then expected. So people just need to grow up and let it go.

DirtyMax
09-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm not "old" but I have been into sports my whole life so I remember some of the shit years very well.

I'm a local team fan first and foremost and have always been into the home teams, although still a realist at the same time. I'm not the guy who proclaims "this is the year" every September. I used to get excited watching Chuck Cecil come back to the sidelines with a bloody nose because he hit someone that hard. And watching Tim Harris fire the six guns after a good sack. Sterling Shapre blazing down the sidelines. T-Buck getting smoked all the time and and Mandarich turninig out to be a big time bust. Even Majkowski was a decent upgrade over his predecessors. At that time, that was all you could get excited about when it came to the Packers.

Then came the glory years and I am thankful I was young enough to be able to enjoy all of the games with friends and not have to worry about a wife dragging me to a ______ or having to chase kids around all over the place. My grandpa and I used to sit up at the cabin and watch every game before we headed back down here. This was exceptionally special to me because shortly thereafter, he developed Alzheimer's and now he doesn't even know who the hell I am so looking back now, I really cherish those times.

Alot of people call last year a disappointing transition year. IMO, this was a team that could have easily been 10-6 or better. They lost a lot of games on defensive meltdowns late in the game when the offense scored enough points to keep them in it.

I'm mildly excited about this season. Rodgers looks silly accurate and seems to have matured a bit in a hurry. Capers and CO. has the defense is flying around like crazy and that's a very refreshing sight! The past few seasons, they played on their heels and things seem to have done a complete 180*.

I loved (and am still intrigued by) watching Brett play. I just think things could have been handled differently by he and other involved parties. Especially this year with the whole smoke and mirrors games he and the Vikings played... throws all of Minnesota's credibility out the window IMO. That being said, I hope the Packers some out on top both of those games but they are facing undoubtable the most dominant RB in the game today in Peterson.

Guess that's why they play the games.... anything can and will happen.

TraceDaddy
09-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Anything can happen indeed. I wasn't overly impressed by their line after the first AP run. Pass protection wasn't fantastic either.

DirtyMax
09-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Yeah the fact that these teams are really getting to Favre has to be a bit of a concern. I can see last night because Mario Williams is just a beast but the Kansas City linebacker coming in free and clear.. that can't happen too many times to him.

PB86MCSS
09-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Pretty much agree with Prince's comments...I grew up with the Packers becoming good but old enough to remember the crap though and the excitement over the 89' season when they *almost* made the playoffs....and all the hoopla/bandwagon fans that came with the Super Bowl teams (so it seemed). I actually couldn't stand the Packers for awhile with all of the success and frenzy around them, my first favorite team was the Bills. Once I was in college I started getting behind the Packers, just more fun to root for the local team I found, at least for the Packers/NFL.

I think its great he's back and he can play for whoever he wants. The Packers didn't want him so he shouldn't feel obligated to stay retired or find a non-NFC north team. Nor do I believe he is coming back to "stick it" to the Packers. The Vikings are a unique opportunity for him with coaches who know him well, a team that is a QB away from being a serious contender in all liklihood too. That said I think the Packers did the right thing by moving on after letting Favre dick around with his decision each summer for the last few years, especially with a player like Rodgers ready to go. I will root for Favre to do well but want the Packers to beat the Vikings soundly. I guess I'm a Packer fan first then Favre fan.

Also, Favre sure helped bring the franchise back but I'll give more credit to Wolf and Holmgren, they are the ones who really turned it around. With the talent they had they could of won with a different QB...maybe not as much, but Favre came into a great system and time. Alot of QB success in the NFL is timing and luck, IMO...what team you end up with, the talent around you and system...plus injuries that let you play while some other guys have to sit and wait. If Favre isn't dealt to the Packers he very well doesn't have the career he did....but the Packers might of turned it around to a Playoff caliber team.

I understand why people like Favre, alot...I like him too. But the people who can't stand the Packers now and think Favre can do no wrong I just don't understand. Then again there are some on the other end, who think he is just terrible for coming back....which I also don't understand. It's a business folks.

DynoTom
09-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I remember all the shitty years before Favre, and that's why I'll never have anything but respect for the guy. I vivdly remember the Blair Kiels, the Anthony Dilwigs, Randy Wrights, and Rich Cambells.

Agree....