PDA

View Full Version : Attracting does

Rocket Power
08-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Is there a way to attract does? It seems like all calls, scents, etc. are made to attract bucks. I hunt in a Earn a buck area and we can't bait. I had to pass up a 10 and 12 pt buck last year because of this stupid EAB and went without a deer.:fire

That_Guy
08-31-2009, 06:24 PM
apples... lots and lots of apples.. i take a 5 gallon pale of chopped apples and toss them all around my stand weekly. for some odd reason deer like to eat the apples o put out for the squirrels and birds:)

URLOZIN
08-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Or put out lots of corn for the "turkeys".

Rocket Power
08-31-2009, 08:19 PM
We've had the DNR walk right up to our stands , so I'm not taking any chances with violating the " naturally occurring material deposited by natural vegetation , that is not collected and relocated in any manner." rule.

They want us to kill the CWD area deer, but make it harder than it needs to be to do it.
How about a new rule. "If it's brown, take it down." that would lower the deer population.

URLOZIN
09-01-2009, 05:19 AM
How about a new rule. "If it's brown, take it down." that would lower the deer population.
it would also lower the UPS guys' population.

That_Guy
09-01-2009, 07:36 AM

:rolf:rolf:rolf

DirtyMax
09-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Opening few weekends, you can use a lost fawn call and they'll come running if they are around. I saw it on a few videos so we tried it. It works... trust me. ;)

Rocket Power
09-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Opening few weekends, you can use a lost fawn call and they'll come running if they are around. I saw it on a few videos so we tried it. It works... trust me. ;)
Cool didn't know they made one. Thanks!

Rocket Power
09-01-2009, 09:41 PM

Well I don't have enough money to order anything from Century,AIM, or the rest, so it won't bother me. Besides , what the hell has brown done for me?:goof

73MACH
09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I have a fawn bleat I bought 5 or 6 years ago, called the C'mere deer. Works pretty damn good! was only like 8 bucks or something. I don't remember where I got it from though.

94greenbandit
09-02-2009, 10:02 AM
apples... lots and lots of apples.. i take a 5 gallon pale of chopped apples and toss them all around my stand weekly. for some odd reason deer like to eat the apples o put out for the squirrels and birds:)

Isn't that considered baiting

94greenbandit
09-02-2009, 10:03 AM
I have a fawn bleat I bought 5 or 6 years ago, called the C'mere deer. Works pretty damn good! was only like 8 bucks or something. I don't remember where I got it from though.

Might have to try and find one of those and try it this year

Rocket Power
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM

yes. otherwise there would be a lot of apples around by my stand

DirtyMax
09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Just plant a fake apple tree over by your stand... or even a real one.. they have to prove that your little apple tree didn't give off all those apples... voila'... :devil

94greenbandit
09-02-2009, 02:10 PM
I am sure if it was a fake one they might be able to tell :D

That_Guy
09-02-2009, 06:41 PM

im not baiting .. im just getting rid of the apples that fell from the tree in the yard.. if deer find the apples i throw away tasty thats not my problem.. "one mans trash is anothers treasure "

MurphysLaw88GT
09-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I guess it will be whatever the D.N.R. says it is.

Rocket Power
09-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I guess it will be whatever the D.N.R. says it is.Yep, and though they have been pretty cool when we've seen them, I ain't pushing it. Not worth it

73MACH
09-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Deffinately not worth it!!

DirtyMax
09-02-2009, 09:16 PM
My suggestion about the apple tree was a joke. I only use a salt/apple lick and/or some corn early season before I hunt (I don't start til mid-Oct usually unless I'm EAB) to get some deer on camera to see what's hanging around and whose made it through.

Personally, I think its dumb to hunt over bait if you want to see quality deer. If you saw a big pile of bbq wings just laying in the woods with no worldly business being there, wouldn't you think it was a little too good to be true and proceed with utmost caution. The big boys don't get big by being dumb. The key is to slip in and the deer need to think nothing has been altered from their normal routines.

Plant food plots full of leafy greens if you want to keep deer nearby.

That_Guy
09-02-2009, 09:43 PM
My suggestion about the apple tree was a joke. I only use a salt/apple lick and/or some corn early season before I hunt (I don't start til mid-Oct usually unless I'm EAB) to get some deer on camera to see what's hanging around and whose made it through.

Personally, I think its dumb to hunt over bait if you want to see quality deer. If you saw a big pile of bbq wings just laying in the woods with no worldly business being there, wouldn't you think it was a little too good to be true and proceed with utmost caution. The big boys don't get big by being dumb. The key is to slip in and the deer need to think nothing has been altered from their normal routines.

we have food plots on the property we hunt on.. but in the wooded section i take a five gallon pail of chopped up apples/grain and spread it over about 100 feet just tossing in all different directions it causes the turkeys to work through the area and the deer to rut up the area. i typically do this before the season starts and a few times through out. it keeps them moving on the same path. i can honestly say in the last 2 years i haven't shot a deer eating the the apple spread but they where making there way into the plot of winter wheat and radishes . although the trail cam pictures posted where from an area with apples in them.

this is a picture a buck shot off the food plot.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/nramlow2006/DSCF0709.jpg

Silver03SRT
09-02-2009, 09:59 PM

I have seen more big bucks over bait then hunting over a scrape trail. We have some giant bucks on camera at the bait. Deer dont think about oh why is a pile of corn here in the middle of the woods. Ya they are cautious but unless you are hunting thick cover they will be. If a deer is hungery they are going to go to the nearest food source. This is most true in the winter time.

DirtyMax
09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
To each their own I guess. Call it dumb luck I guess but I have never had nice bucks come in to a bait pile while I was over it. It seems they get wise to it and come wipe it out at night. Maybe that's just the deer in my area. I have had way better luck patterning them and then trying to slip and and leave everything natural. I do like food plots to keep them interested in the area.

In the winter, I couldnt agree more about hunting near food sources. Another late season trick I have learned has been to cut down a few small cedars if you are able to like we are in our area. Deer love gnawing on them.

Silver03SRT
09-03-2009, 10:36 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Muskiefisher/buck4.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Muskiefisher/buck6.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Muskiefisher/CDY_1030.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Muskiefisher/cincodemayo013.jpg
Deer I got a couple years ago.
I have more pics on my home computer this is just what I had on my comp at work. A few more day time pics

DirtyMax
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Wasn't calling you a liar, man. All I was saying is it has been my personal experience that bait piles don't suit the kind of deer patterns I have to deal with and seems to make them skittish up by us. So as a result, it is my personal preference not to hunt over them. I use the shit out of them this time of year to get deer on camera and then stop using it and go back to pretty much all natural with food plots come mid-late Sept. Your methods seem to work for you and I have enough meat in the freezer and antlers on the wall over the years to justify mine working for me.:thumbsup

Silver03SRT
09-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Wasn't calling you a liar, man. All I was saying is it has been my personal experience that bait piles don't suit the kind of deer patterns I have to deal with and seems to make them skittish up by us. So as a result, it is my personal preference not to hunt over them. I use the shit out of them this time of year to get deer on camera and then stop using it and go back to pretty much all natural with food plots come mid-late Sept. Your methods seem to work for you and I have enough meat in the freezer and antlers on the wall over the years to justify mine working for me.:thumbsup
I know you were not calling me a liar just had to share some of the deer we got on camera over the years. Its a very small window that they come during the day on the bait. Plus I know it attracts does so during the rut it brings those big ones in. What area do you hunt?

DirtyMax
09-03-2009, 05:46 PM
We have 120 ac. just North of Crivitz. 99.9% of all pictures that I get of them hitting bait up by us are in the middle of the night. Nocturnal bastards! :D

Silver03SRT
09-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I hunt up in Clam Lake. We have 80 acres and all the Chequamegon National Forest we can hunt.

Silver03SRT
09-03-2009, 07:02 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Muskiefisher/CDY_0204.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Muskiefisher/CDY_0303.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Muskiefisher/CDY_0029.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Muskiefisher/CDY_0221.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Muskiefisher/CDY_0220.jpg