PDA

View Full Version : Rant about mustangs!!!!

scubastang
04-17-2004, 12:23 AM
[rant]

GOD DAMNIT. I have been half ass looking and now seriously am looking for a clean fox body or a sn95. I don't car if its stock or modded. Now that I am finally out of school, I have been looking to spend on the car itself about 4-7K, leaving me some good room to mod the car. Well at the ******* rediculous price that people want for these cars, I'll have to spend all my mod money on restoring these high milage cars!!

OK get this, I used to want to buy from private versus dealers as they are cheaper, but for the 302 mustangs, its the other way around! It seriously seems people have no grasp that there is a BLUE BOOK VALUE for a reason. I understand that the market dictates pricing through supply/demand, but jeesus come on, don't mark a $2200 car up to $5K just because you think its "valuable". Ok, most fox bodies have right around 100K on them, and book (I am looking at 91-93s) anywhere from 1800-around 5000 tops. I know coupes are more desirable (even though book is cheaper than GT's), but you need to stick somewhat close to a reasonable price. For example, I saw a blue 88 coupe in town here that is basically stock with 110K on it. Books at 3K in EXCELLENT condition right? They are asking around 5K for it? WTF? My general rule when I've bought and sold cars are take the car value the add about 1/2 or even less the cost of mods (no labor) and then work from there right?

Look at this bullsh*t:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=481191
92, 10K vert, stock for $20K???
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=475060
93 coupe 74K, few bolt ons for $8K
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=477143
90 stock ex cop car (so def. not babied), 165K, wants $4500
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=469246
92 coupe, 86K, basically stock wants $6500
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=478408
93 hatch, 80K, stock, wants $6200
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=473033
91 GT, 47K, stock, wants $7600

Keep in mind just these cars here usually book around $2500-4K. And this is just on the first page of corral classifieds mind you. I understand maybe their eventual "collector" status, but right now there are simply 14-15 second, 15+ yr old cars that will need lots of maintanience! **** if I wanted to go high 14 seconds for $6000 I would buy a focking honda

Maybe I am just a baby, but I am seriously getting pissed and am thinking about ditching the whole mustang thing and going another route here soon.

[/end rant]:fire :fire :flamet

hrsp
04-17-2004, 12:34 AM
them are honestly good prices depending on cond... look at autotrader and the prices are alot higher than that.. also kbb values cars real low.

Rocket Power
04-17-2004, 12:37 AM
Holy Crap!
I am a closet Ford guy (shhhh !!! Don't tell my friends:D ) and I wanted to get a Mustang also in a years or so. But since I am not ready to buy yet, I haven't kept up with the prices. I didn't think they were still that high:eek:
I miss my wifes old 85 conv. even though it was only a V-6:D

scubastang
04-17-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by hrsp
them are honestly good prices depending on cond... look at autotrader and the prices are alot higher than that.. also kbb values cars real low.

pray tell how so? I know kbb is low, but if you look at edmunds, nada or kbb they are all similar. Like I said b4 I know that these cars are fetching more $ thank book, but only to a extent. Like anything, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and at these price for what you get, I am NOT willing to pay that (hence the "baby" phrase ;))

I sold my 88GT this year (87-93s are basically the same except for a slight few diffs) with 110K on it in really really nice shape with a fair amount of bolt ons for $2600. Clean as a whisltle. There is basically no difference than some of these cars wanting $6K or more!!!! WTF, I am not paying $4K more for a title that says its newer, mass air and pony rims. I look at a car these days sort of like 95 TA does - all around performance. Foxes are great for this if enough $$ is dumped into them, but you still have a 15 yr old crappy interior stock slow car! This is why many people have vested interests in them becasue they should be cheap investments to go fast! I am not sure what you know about foxes, but I get frustrated thinking about this. Choices choices.....hmmm:yawn:

Crawlin
04-17-2004, 01:39 AM
you should buy sam and tina's blue notch. now that thing is clean and just asking to be built and it's a great price in my opinion.

Chris

just search on cponygo or midwestmustangassociation for their ad

T-Bag
04-17-2004, 01:50 AM
I think I got a pretty good deal on mine. $5500 completely built (motor and suspension) with fresh paint and very very minimal rust. spots.

scubastang
04-17-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by z28kid98
you should buy sam and tina's blue notch. now that thing is clean and just asking to be built and it's a great price in my opinion.

Chris

just search on cponygo or midwestmustangassociation for their ad

i've been thinking of some other things...:devil

you still have that ls1 for sale?

and yes pewter you got a good deal!! :thumbsup

hrsp
04-17-2004, 03:15 AM
i know what your saying.. i've never owned a mustang but i've been looking at some foxbodys and people are asking a ton for most of them.. thats why i said those prices are pretty low.. i have a few friends in chicago who said they've seen older stangs with 100k+ go for 9k!!! thats just stupid to me... good luck finding a good one for cheap.

02hawk796
04-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by scubastang
It seriously seems people have no grasp that there is a BLUE BOOK VALUE for a reason.

What reason would that be? Are you buying and selling to Kelly?
Any property is worth what a willing and able buyer actually pays a willing and able seller. That's it. That's how it works. Anybody who wants to buy my car can cough up $50K, and we'll start to talk. You are not going to find that price in any book except RON'S BLUE BOOK. And that's the only book that matters. Otherwise, my car is not for sale at this time. And if it is for sale, I'd have to be really hard up to let you pay anywhere near the kbb price to get it.
Same with any other car. Sorry, that's how the grown-ups do it.
You are in a market with competition. When you are willing and able to pay what the competition is paying, then you will be competitive - otherwise you are not a buyer.

My general rule when I've bought and sold cars are take the car value the add about 1/2 or even less the cost of mods (no labor) and then work from there right?

Sounds like you are the person to buy from to get a good deal, if you're in the habit of selling cars for less than the market price. I should keep an eye on your ads. Heck, I'd even grab an old mustang off ya if it means I turn a quick grand profit from reselling it immediately.

PS. Of course, if it were possible to REPLACE my car, I'd ask for less, although not near kbb. Since I can't really get the same car elsewhere, I'll have to wait until I no longer want this one.

Crawlin
04-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Hahaha, unfortunately I worked out a deal with the performance shop to use the block/crank as credit towards the rest of the bill. i'll have the heads laying around as well as some other minor crap.

Chris

I still say Sam and Tina's notch would be the deal of the century because of just how good it looks.

Crawlin
04-18-2004, 10:36 AM
But in terms of your ideas on selling a modded car....

You are pretty much right on. Mods DO NOT add value to a car. UNLESS the car is seriously modded to a point like a race car. But a simple bolt on car is not worth much more if anything than a stock one. It's always better to sell the mods off and return the car to stock as possible and sell it.

Ron's got the right idea though. Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And it also is based on how hard up the person is to sell it. Ron doesn't need to sell his Firehawk so he can put up the 50g price tag. When he gets to a point where he may NEED to sell it, well obviously the price is gonna drop to half that because that's market value.

02hawk796
04-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Also, in the world of kbb and dealers, mods subtract from the value, actually. It shows the vehicle was abused or had greater-than-average wear & use. Dealers take off trailer hitches and toolboxes and such right away.
Unless, like kid said, the mods make it a serious performer.

Al
04-18-2004, 01:25 PM
88 vert 132k 5.0 5spd GT black, only mufflers, stock otherwise

no rust

scubastang
04-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by BlueBullet
88 vert 132k 5.0 5spd GT black, only mufflers, stock otherwise

no rust

lol this is what I am talking about. A stock 88 vert (= heavy 15 sec car) with 132K for 3500?? :rolleyes:

For example I could car less if it has a little rust - a 132K paint job usually sucks ass anyways.

02hawk796 - yes I completely agree with you, I am just venting/frustrated as to how much people are willing to spend on some of these older cars that IMO are not worth what at least some "corral" sellers want. I am buying this for performance, not as a "collector". I just can't personally justify spending so much on a car that simply doesn't perform. I sound like I need a ls1 more and more heh z28kid ;). I am going to change my tactics and stay off the big mustang sites as people seem to want too much. I have to find some old greenfield lady that never drives hers out of the garage :durr

And I really didn't sell many fox bodies b4 02hawk, though I defentintly havn't sold any cars "below" market value (I am a mkt/economics/is major so I should have learned something between the beers ;)). I have actually made some good money b4 selling. I am a serious buyer, but I guess I just realized I am simply willing to wait as long as it takes to find the right ride I guess for the right price for me - just like you said right

enough out of me :thumbsup

Yooformula
04-18-2004, 09:42 PM
With summer coming up, the prices of most sports cars will be inflated. This should be a good thing for those of us that might have to sell sometime soon as it helps with the value of these cars.

Crawlin
04-18-2004, 09:53 PM
best bet...

don't look on boards like these for a car. they help SOMETIMES on the national level because some markets are poorer than others in terms of resale, so some people have to adjust prices. Around here, LS1 cars have a premium since there aren't many around. Go to Chicago or Houston(where my new one is from) and they are flooded with f-bodies down there, SO prices are way low.

Around here is flooded with mustangs, so they should be cheaper, but that $3500 seems to be going rate for a decent condition fox body. search chitownracing.com's classifieds since alot of guys have them on the site. seen a couple of notches with about 150k miles going for 2-2500 in somewhat decent condition.

but other than that, you are looking for that "deal of the century" and that makes the search tougher. with the popularity of the NMRA racing series and the FFW series as well as others, prices are being driven up

Rocket Power
04-19-2004, 07:18 PM
I know this is probably too much $, but I saw a 91 5.0 LX hatch, 5 speed with 90K for $3750 obo, says it was stored winters it was a dark blue or black. It was on Hwy 36 between forest home and windlake.
Just thought I'd let ya know.

scubastang
04-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Power
I know this is probably too much $, but I saw a 91 5.0 LX hatch, 5 speed with 90K for $3750 obo, says it was stored winters it was a dark blue or black. It was on Hwy 36 between forest home and windlake.
Just thought I'd let ya know.

I am def interested! Where abouts is that (I just moved here). I am looking to spend 3-8K, so its in my range ;)

Thanks a lot :thumbsup

BOSS LX
04-20-2004, 06:24 PM
1988 Blue with Gray/Black interior (107,000 mi.)
Original V8 car, 99.5% NO RUST, Painted 6 years ago, in excellent condition! Has never been raced.
Installed my 1990 Stock Motor and T-5 Trans (109,000 mi.) out of another car of mine that got an all new 650 HP buildup.
Mass-Air Conversion
No Power windows or A/C in car from Factory
(Factory lightweight! 2840lbs)
2 1/2 in off road H-pipe and Flowmaster cat back exhaust.

Wheels in Pic not included, (comes with factory turbine wheels)

$4,900.00, SERIOUS INQURIES ONLY PLEASE.

Located in Milwaukee, WI area

Call Sam ---Daytime : 1-414-349-0528
or e-mail: hrsepla@wi.rr.com

More Pics available by e-mail request

BOSS LX
04-20-2004, 06:29 PM
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=455020

Here are some pics of the car.

I have seen the car in person, and it is very nice!!

The underside of the car is very clean!

Rocket Power
04-20-2004, 08:06 PM
The easiest way is to take HWY 100 south to Hwy 36/Loomis Rd, hang a right than after a little bit you'll come to some lights , go straight and it's a llittle ways up the road on the left, pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Kinda by Muskego Lakes Country Club.
Hope that helps.

scubastang
04-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Power
[B]The easiest way is to take HWY 100 south to Hwy 36/Loomis Rd, hang a right than after a little bit you'll come to some lights , go straight and it's a llittle ways up the road on the left, pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Kinda by Muskego Lakes Country Club.

thanks! I am going to go look at it this week :thumbsup

02hawk796
04-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by scubastang
I am def interested! Where abouts is that (I just moved here). I am looking to spend 3-8K, so its in my range ;)

Thanks a lot :thumbsup

Wind Lake is south west of Hales Corners. If you're in Greenfield, go south on Hwy100 to Forest Home (Co Hwy OO), turn right (at Hall Chevy, Connor mobil/Culver's).
Go to Hwy 36 (I think it's Loomis Rd), and turn right. Hwy 36 will go to Wind Lake, but he said it's "between Forest Home and Wind Lake".
Good Luck.

T-Bag
04-21-2004, 07:14 PM
I saw Sam and Tina's at Solid Gold opening night...except it was parked in the chi chi's parking lot. I didn't even know it was theirs until now. VERY clean car, I liked it a lot. Lighweight too with no fancy stuff. I'd highly recommend at least taking a look at this, and Sam and Tina are VERY nice people.

Rocket Power
04-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Did you get to look at it? I went by on Sunday and it was gone.