PDA

View Full Version : WTF is with my bank?

SlowStee
04-16-2004, 04:29 PM
i dont know if anyone here goes to bank one, but i deposited my check at 2:30 today, and my money still isnt there.....wtf is going on?!?!? this ******* always happens to me.....i got **** to buy, like a posi additive....how quick does your guys' money get to your account, after a deposit?

Crawlin
04-16-2004, 04:40 PM
i sign the check, they click the mouse, i have access... can't get much simpler :) even when i get a personal loan(over the phone mind you) it's ready in 1 minute. i dunno man

Chris

SlowStee
04-16-2004, 04:42 PM
i called the bank, and they're like, well the money will be there tomorrow morning....im like ******* Great i have my posi fluid sitting at a counter at a GM dealership waiting for me to pick up, and i guess ill be running between 1/4tank of gas and E all nght :flipoff2:

02hawk796
04-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Well, that's the way Milw banks treat their customers, and Milwaukeans seem willing to endure the abuse.
Myself, I will not bank at bank one.
I learned upon ariving in Milw to never cash my checks at the bank I have a checking account at.
Cash your check at one bank - get cash.
Deposit that cash in another bank. If they don't give you access to that cash you've given a teller very quickly, get a different bank.
I cash my checks at Guaranty Bank.
My active checking is with Great Midwest Bank.
When they screw up, I'll be gone. But they've been doing well for quite some time. Practically every other bank I've had was unacceptable.

Flight_740
04-17-2004, 10:20 AM
I live in milwaukee and stil bank with my small town bank in mukwonago. They have been great to me.

SMS 1
04-17-2004, 03:29 PM
M&I- they do all of thier data entry ect. in house so there should really never be a problem;) Where as Bank One sends thiers out to a different company all together (as most banks do) Even though this prob. wouldn't have helped your situation just thought Id throw in $0.02 :thumbsup

9C1 Driver
04-17-2004, 04:09 PM
St. Francis bank is pretty good, all of my money is available immediately when I deposit a check.

Al
04-17-2004, 04:35 PM
They are waiting for your check to clear.

It sounds like you have an empty account. I use tricity and the wait for the check to clear before I can withdraw the money. But because the amount I have in my account is greater than most checks I deposit, I have other money I can withdraw.

SMS 1
04-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by BlueBullet
They are waiting for your check to clear.
Does that still aply for Payroll checks though? I think thats what he was trying to cash and they are supposed to be cashable immediately:confused

Rocket Power
04-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by 9C1 Driver
St. Francis bank is pretty good, all of my money is available immediately when I deposit a check.
I also like St. Francis:thumbsup

jon_we4
04-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by SMS 1
M&I- they do all of thier data entry ect. in house so there should really never be a problem;) Where as Bank One sends thiers out to a different company all together (as most banks do) Even though this prob. wouldn't have helped your situation just thought Id throw in $0.02 :thumbsup

You mean metavante does it for them. I used to work there, it rocked. I also worked at North Shore, you wouldnt believe what some jerks tried to pull off. Anywho...

Alot of banks have atleast a one daywait before the funds are available, if the check is from out of state then it might be a 5-7 day wait. Most banks will also cash up to a certain amount check, then you can deposit the cash.

M&I was great, too bad they dont have any IL branches. Even tho there was a monthly fee it was nice because 24x7 I could call MiLine.

Anywho, I worked for the old M&I Data Services as an intern and it was great, close to home, got to drive between the 5 Huge office buildings in Brown Deer and by Park Place and worked on their network support team. Too bad being the bottom rung on the large corporate latter sucks greatly...

SMS 1
04-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by jon_we4
You mean metavante does it for them. I used to work there, it rocked. I also worked at North Shore, you wouldnt believe what some jerks tried to pull off. Anywho...

Alot of banks have atleast a one daywait before the funds are available, if the check is from out of state then it might be a 5-7 day wait. Most banks will also cash up to a certain amount check, then you can deposit the cash.

M&I was great, too bad they dont have any IL branches. Even tho there was a monthly fee it was nice because 24x7 I could call MiLine.

Anywho, I worked for the old M&I Data Services as an intern and it was great, close to home, got to drive between the 5 Huge office buildings in Brown Deer and by Park Place and worked on their network support team. Too bad being the bottom rung on the large corporate latter sucks greatly... Yep, I just wasn't going to name them here. I work there currently. And I agree about the bottom rung- I only took the job I have there to get in the door and have had a very hard time moving out of it. Now I'll just wait it out prob until I can work on my own. Business is getting really good this year and I should be able to get out on my own within a few short years;)

Cryptic
04-17-2004, 07:53 PM
It's not terribly un-common to have to wait 2 days for a check to clear to withdrawl money if the check your trying to cash is more than the amount you have in the account.

cheap80Z28
04-17-2004, 11:30 PM
this happened to me too.....tried to cash my fed return ($1400) and was told it would take till the next day...this really stunk cause it was to pay for a cruise in june....the future mom-in-lay put it on her charge and i wrote the check out to her
steve

jon_we4
04-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Yep, I just wasn't going to name them here. I work there currently.

What building and department? It's been 6 years since I worked there. I "lived" in the basement of the CAPE building. The department was called ELM at the time. Had access to ever place in the local buildings except for 2 places, where they tested the ATM's and where they made the visa cards. I was even up in the CEO's office a few times working on his computer. With such a large latter there is a ton of BS and it rolls downhill fast.

What kind've business do you do yourself?

SMS 1
04-18-2004, 01:04 AM
I run the maint. garage at BDOC. OOOOH what a glamorus job that is! It's OK I maintain the fleet of trucks, lawn equip, and do custom fabrication work when needed. It was only supposed to be a foot in the door but with all the politics there :deal well you know how that goes:rolleyes: Now I run a side business (well 50%) doing just about anything with media. We do alot of DVD transfer work and some Video production work to list a few. It has REALLY picked up this year we would be turning a good profit if it wasn't for all the equipment we are buying (tax shelter :deal ) but if business keeps up we should be ready to lauch completely in the next couple of years. So the dept. you were in was dealing with end of lease equip and such or were you more on the LAN/Telecom side?

SMS 1
04-18-2004, 01:05 AM
OH yeah and we are looking for someone with VOIP experience, know anyone? ;)

jon_we4
04-18-2004, 01:12 AM
We were a "test project" Me and another High School kid. We were supposed to help out the college interns. We were acctually a little sharper than the college interns and fixed a few things they didnt. We got stuck doing all the new computer installs and later on preparing for lease returns. Then they started to outsource those tasks and we were not needed. We never got to network support. They ended the internship contract early. They told me I was too qualified for a fileing job.

I'm best friends with the guy that I worked with. It was a great time, and I understand it was all politics. My boss and even up the latter to the CIO really liked me.

One nice thing about the job is I dealt with everyone in all different departments and buildings, it was nice to have new things and not the same old boring stuff.

jon_we4
04-18-2004, 01:15 AM
OH yeah and we are looking for someone with VOIP experience, know anyone? ;)

What you need? I know the technology has changed since I have been in a networking position. I would have been a CCNA but I never took the test. Had the experiance....but the industry was going down and I had a nice job oportunity out of the industry.

SMS 1
04-18-2004, 03:29 AM
VOIP (Voice Over I P) hey was your boss Mike Swoverland? Yes the whole PC procurement thing has been completley outsourced now. Even though it would be much cheaper and easier to control in house:rolleyes:

ah the political wheels and how they turn:rolleyes:

02hawk796
04-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Sorry to return to the original topic....

At the risk of repeating myself:

Originally posted by 02hawk796
I learned upon ariving in Milw to never cash my checks at the bank I have a checking account at.
Cash your check at one bank - get cash.
Deposit that cash in another bank. If they don't give you access to that cash you've given a teller very quickly, get a different bank.
I cash my checks at Guaranty Bank.
My active checking is with Great Midwest Bank.

Don't cash your checks at the same bank that you write checks from.
My Guaranty Bank account has $25. No fees, as long as I deposit or withdraw $5 at least once every 6 months. I cash my payroll checks there, which are $1800. If I deposit, I might not get the cash. So get the cash. Then take that cash to the bank you write your checks from and deposit. NO WAITING!
My payroll checks are from Minnesota. Federal checks you should do the same.
If your check is local, cash the check at the bank it's drawn on. Unless it's some dickwad bank like M&I that charges you $5 to cash a check drawn on their own bank (I either don't accept M&I checks, or I charge an extra $10 "check fee" on top of the amount I'm owed), you get the cash right away. If you're dealing with some dickwad bank like M&I, you can play their game if you choose, and get some account that allows you to cash their checks for free, and this then allows them to sell all your personal info to the highest bidder.
If you really want to play their BS games, that's your choice. There is absolutely no reason you have to.

jon_we4
04-18-2004, 12:58 PM
VOIP (Voice Over I P) hey was your boss Mike Swoverland? Yes the whole PC procurement thing has been completley outsourced now. Even though it would be much cheaper and easier to control in house:rolleyes:

ah the political wheels and how they turn:rolleyes:

The only experience I have with VOIP is with cisco's retail solution. Let me know if you need anything.

My boss was Jason, whose boss was Mike Shady (i think) whose boss was Carry...

Al
04-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Does that still aply for Payroll checks though?

YES

Check fraud is on the rise here in wisconsin.

02hawk796
04-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Does that still aply for Payroll checks though?

As long as you're at a crappy bank that likes to $crew you, yes it does.

Al
04-18-2004, 01:35 PM
But the big issue is check fraud unless the check was for the bank where you cashed it. They should already have a record of the check and be ready to cash it.

02hawk796
04-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by BlueBullet
But the big issue is check fraud unless the check was for the bank where you cashed it. They should already have a record of the check and be ready to cash it.

Look, I don't know what kind of crap you put up with, but I'll tell you this straight up.
I go into a bank, and it's every two weeks. Same teller or tellers around. Same payroll check drawn on the same bank. About the same amount, varies by up to $500. They can check my ID all day, every day. I've got the same account with them I've had for awhile.

They're NOT going to cash my same payroll check? Are you friggin high? If they don't cash my check, account is closed there and then.
I don't care where the check is from if it's the same every 2 weeks. It's unacceptable for them to not cash it after the first few times. If my account standing there doesn't count for squat, then they don't need to have my account anymore.

Yes, that's right: my paycheck for up to $2K drawn on a Minn bank gets cashed every other Friday at the bank I have less than $30 total in. You guys gotta get with the program.

You guys in Milwaukee seem perfectly willing to put up with a load of manure. So I'll tell you another tip for banking. Find the bank you want to do business with. Then go to a branch well away from the greater Milwaukee metropolis, like Madison, Janesville, Watertown. open your account there. The account source codes identify you as a customer in the real world where they can't push you around as much, instead of Milw scum they can push around. That's right- the same bank assigns different rules and regs to accounts based on where your account originated. After opening the accont, you don't ever have to return to that branch again, do all your biz locally, at the branch nearest you. The preferrential rules follow you.