PDA

View Full Version : Trying to put on weight?

hrsp
08-27-2009, 02:45 AM
long story short...about a year ago i was 201 and felt great...fast forward to now and i lost 30pounds! im down to 171 and feel week and tired... and i havent been this light since i was 18 now 25...im 5"10 and try to stay at 190...anyways work picked up so ive been working stupid long hours and im walking around for 10-12hrs a night 5 days a week...the thing is im never hungry anymore...i eat once a day and drink water-redbull-pop- all night... i want to put on some weight ASAP...whats some good supplements to add "fat" to your body so you have something to "burn" off? the meal i eat is right before i go to bed but thats not helping...lol...

i know i should "eat" more but besides that what can i do?

MoCkiN U
08-27-2009, 05:47 AM
weight gain can really revolve around calorie intake. If you dont have or arent taking the time to make yourself something to eat are you going to take the time to make a shake that doesnt taste like something you wanna drink again 2 hours later?

TheRX7Project
08-27-2009, 08:03 AM
You can have some of mine...

Josepy
08-27-2009, 08:05 AM
You can have some of mine...

x2

LIZMO
08-27-2009, 09:06 AM
eat lost of fatty food! like pizza and mcdonalds and taco bell... ik i've gained weight that way :(

animal
08-27-2009, 09:13 AM
It's simple, provided muscle mass stays the same...

weight loss = Taking in less than you burn
weight gain = taking in more than you burn

Just eat more calories than you burn. 5000-6000 per day oughta do it ;) Blizzards from DQ taste good and are high calorie :D And now they even got girl scout cookie flavors :)

SSLEVO
08-27-2009, 09:26 AM
I hate you guys with this problem, it seems like i work my ass off and don't get anywhere, lol.

shoooo32
08-27-2009, 10:23 AM
eat lost of fatty food! like pizza and mcdonalds and taco bell... ik i've gained weight that way :(

I tried the "culvers diet" trying to gain some weight and got pretty sick. The body wasn't designed to handle that much grease.

British_Ben
08-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Your body is obviously asking for something that you are not giving it.

I would cut out at least half of the caffeine you drink and eat 3 meals a day. Start your day with a big breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast or cereal, yogurt, fruit). You want to fill up on breakfast.

Eat lunch at a set time, everyday. Eat a light dinner or a heavy dinner if you want to pack on fat.

Doing this will eventually cause you to be hungry when you wake up, at the set time for lunch, and whenever you eat dinner.

And, if you want some more weight, you can have some of mine as well.

Smokey1226
08-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Optimum Nutrition Weight Gainer is a good way to start. Taking in a lot of calories the good way.

Also that Pit in your avatar is beautiful!!! im after a blue nose myself, and can only dream he/she will come out like that

Cryptic
08-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Force yourself to eat the normal 3 meals a day. Get yourself on a normal schedule. I would say drinking crap all night isn't helping your appetite.

Edit - Ben just said the same thing.

CATNHAT
08-27-2009, 11:02 AM
drink a lot of beer. works great for me. plus, my jokes get funnier, i get better looking, i can sing better.................:alcoholic

94greenbandit
08-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree that you need to eat more and cut out some of that caffeine

Yooformula
08-27-2009, 11:59 AM
cut out the caffeine and sugar and your appetite will regulate itself. add more protein to stabilize hunger cravings for junk. your breakfast is key to the entire day. losing weight isnt a bad thing as long as it isnt too much muscle but more than likely with your diet you lost alot of water and muscle. stay away from mass gainers its just empty calories and alot of sugars which will turn into fat if you arent working out regularly and resting properly. if you have to supplement, use a quality protein supplement that you can at least combine with fruits and stuff as breakfast too.

VroomPshhTsi
08-27-2009, 12:02 PM
5'10" 171 lbs? That it is in the "normal" Body Mass Index. Only 10 more pounds and you are in the overweight category. I wouldn't be so desperate to put on the pounds. I don't think putting on weight like others have said will give you that extra energy you are looking for. Obviously BMI isn't the only way to test your health (heart rate, fat%, etc.). But unless you are an NFL running back or something, it can give you a decent idea of where you should be.

BMI link: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

BMI Categories:
* Underweight = <18.5
* Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
* Overweight = 25-29.9
* Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I'm 5'9" 155 lbs. which is a BMI of 22.9

Yooformula
08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I dont think that takes into account active people or people with more muscle mass than a sedentary person. an active muscular person would obviously weigh more than a "normal" person that doesnt ever touch a weight. so you cant solely rely on those charts, take em with a grain of salt.

noted on another page on that site."
* It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
* It may underestimate body fat in older persons and others who have lost muscle mass.

Prince Valiant
08-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Also perhaps make sure you're not suffering from a medical related issue...many conditions can present as you describe, so a good work up by an MD is in order.

tommyt5078
08-27-2009, 12:26 PM
I would say eat as much as you can before bed time or after 10pm!!!!!

DirtyMax
08-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Drink lots of soda. Plenty of empty calories there. I actually lost alot of weight by doing little more than not drinking soda.

hrsp
08-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Also perhaps make sure you're not suffering from a medical related issue...many conditions can present as you describe, so a good work up by an MD is in order.

Just had a compete physical and check up and the yearly std test...im healthy!

im very active and play sports very often... and was always able to keep weight on by eating...
its like im to busy to eat which sounds dumb but i really do just forget to eat and then bang its time to go to bed i eat and the cycle starts over...

i am going to try and eat a big breakfast (which is lunch cuz i work a crappy second shift job) and slow down on the redbulls and see if im hungrier by doing that...

thanks everyone!!

Silver03SRT
08-28-2009, 09:42 AM
You would want to eat a lot of Carbs if you want to gain weight.

lordairgtar
08-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Just had a compete physical and check up and the yearly std test...im healthy!

Should we be concerned that you need a yearly STD test? Hanging out with those Clyman midget strippers will fuck you up.:devil

gottwins?
08-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Steak :thumbsup

JBs92Lude
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Best way to gain weight in a healthy manner instead of eating greasy fatty foods. Try to get a good amount of fats, but not animal fat/saturated fat. Breakfast is the best way to help get your day started, it gives you fuel right away in the morning which will help to stop the sluggishness you are feeling. But try to make breakfast and all your meals balanced and healthy, but with plenty of protein as well. If 3 larger meals don't sit well with you, try to eat 4-6 smaller meals during the day.

Al
08-29-2009, 01:14 AM
long story short...about a year ago i was 201 and felt great...fast forward to now and i lost 30pounds! im down to 171 and feel week and tired... and i havent been this light since i was 18 now 25...im 5"10 and try to stay at 190...anyways work picked up so ive been working stupid long hours and im walking around for 10-12hrs a night 5 days a week...the thing is im never hungry anymore...i eat once a day and drink water-redbull-pop- all night... i want to put on some weight ASAP...whats some good supplements to add "fat" to your body so you have something to "burn" off? the meal i eat is right before i go to bed but thats not helping...lol...

i know i should "eat" more but besides that what can i do?

The whole "less energy while weighing less" sounds counterintuitive. There must be another factor here other than the weight itself.

There must be something you can do that will increase your energy without decreasing your weight. I'd start with more food, but keep it healthy. Add a second meal.

BadAzzGTA89
08-29-2009, 08:23 AM
you would want to eat a lot of carbs if you want to gain weight.

x2

1320PNY
08-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Since you work second shift, you may not be getting vitamin D from the sun. I went through what you are with the lack of energy, but I'm overweight and not motivated to lose it.

First thing I did was cut out sugar, carbs, and things that bog you down. I then went to GNC and got Men's Multi-Vitamin shake. I drink one a day in the morning with some breakfast. It gives you all the C,D,B6,B12, etc. that you need to get going and stay going.

To feed muscle mass and maintain your energy level, you need proteins and non-saturated fats. You need Chicken, Peanuts, and Vegetable Juices.

I did this diet in College to gain weight and I went from 158lb to 215lb in one year. That combined with weight lifting 45 minutes a day and an hour of cardio.

Unfortunately, the only weight lifting I do now is carrying my gut around and cardio is pretty much out of the question.

I think that if you get yourself on a healthy diet and stay active, you will find that into your 30s you will be a bit lighter than you once were, but you will feel good.

It is really tough to start feeling "weak" as you get older, but it is all part of aging. I once could bench twice my body weight and now I would be content with benching my weight. Flexibility is one that goes away quickly and it is in your best interest to maintain a good range of motion. Basic push-ups and sit ups with some stretching really come into play when you get into the 35 range.

Just remember your body is like your car. The longer you use it, the more routine the maintenance needs to be to stay running properly.

Lash
08-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Get married and have some kids. Thats should do it.

JBs92Lude
08-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Well according to studies now, almost all people in wisconsin are vitamin D deficient. More sun...

Adam Brooks
08-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Optimum Nutrition Weight Gainer is a good way to start. Taking in a lot of calories the good way.

try this for cheaper method:

grind 1/2 cup oatmeal in coffee grinder 150 cal
2 scoops your protein mix ~240 cal
8oz 2% milk 130cal
tbsp natty peanut butter 90cal
tbsp flax seed oil 5
blend
= 615 healthy calories

drink that 2-3 times a day. i had same prob as you when younger. when i was lifting a lot my daily caloric intake was 6000

diet is 90% the game, gym time is 10%

VroomPshhTsi
08-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Get married and have some kids. Thats should do it.

best answer