PDA

View Full Version : What Do You guys think i should do?

SlowStee
04-16-2004, 01:42 PM
wednesday night, i went and picked my car up from speed INC(they installed my gears, from 2.73's to 3.73's), and i brought the gears for them to install.....everything seemed fine, i drove around illinois, went and had dinner, and everything seemed to drive fine......so an hour and a half later, im back home, turning the corner to get in my alley and i hear a clinking sound coming from the back, im like "i didnt hear anything".....so im driving to the garage door, pulling in, and it starts clinking loudly from the back, like gears r slipping or something, you can actually feel the clinking too, and it is coming from the back. so i called yoosof right away in a panic, and he even heard it on the phone.....so i ran in the house sent speed inc an email....... the next day i went to a "friend" at midas, and he said it sounds like a tooth is broken, or somethings bouncing around in there. So I called speed INC (they never returned my email, or called me), and after finally getting a hold of them, they said they ran the car and let it cooled 3 different times, and that everything was fine when it left. They said i was welcome to come back and they would take a look at it.....the problem is, i dont have much money left, or much less the money to drive another hour an a half to speed inc again....they said i could have someone open up the rear-end and find out whats wrong, but thats gonna cost me at least 70 bucks to have someone do.....i owe 2 people money, because i borrowed money from them, for the install.....i dont exactly have money to pay to get this fixed...i got a big dilema here.....so far ive heard that the problem could be a "broken posi spring", "one of the teeth is broken", or some magnet thing,(dont remember the name), is bouncing around in there. And the car doesnt make the sounds, until it is heated up, and you are driving really slow(like parking). what do you guys think i should do? or what the heck the sound is?...thanks guys

BAD LS1
04-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Is it really loud when turning especially?? like at slower speeds?

SlowStee
04-16-2004, 01:50 PM
yeah, forgot to mention it does it worse when turning......and BTW i drove it like a baby on the way home on the expressway

BAD LS1
04-16-2004, 01:50 PM
I knew it !!

That is your Posi-unit chattering...

They may have not put in the bottle of special friction modifier.

If you dont use that $7.25 3.5Oz bottle of modifier( you can get from any local GM dealer BTW) it will not let the pssi clutches slip smoothly and they ar forcing to break friction hece giving the ratcheting, TINK-TINK-TINK noise when turn and only when hot.

That ensures you have a nice tight posi unit, it wont cause it to wear out its just more of an annoyance than anything, when i had an auburn posi i put in my Xtreme i didnt run the modifier on purpose cause i like that feeling/noise hahahah.

Id reccomend picking up a bottle and squirt the whole thing in.

SlowStee
04-16-2004, 01:52 PM
im scared....tell me

SlowStee
04-16-2004, 01:57 PM
is it bad or risky to drive on? and the car does only make the sound when it is heated up

BAD LS1
04-16-2004, 02:00 PM
You can drive it like that....

Just run to a dealer today and get a bottle of it. it just goes in the fill plug in the pass side of the rear end.

Yooformula
04-16-2004, 02:06 PM
I told ya about the gm additive too! :flipoff:

animal
04-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Heh. I've heard of it sometimes called whale oil. But I've heard it's a, ahem, different, whale substance though. Not positive and I just don't have the energy to go out on the web and check if it's really that or not.

My stang should chatter like that when Im done with it, of course that's because it's a locker :)

SlowStee
04-16-2004, 02:33 PM
yoosof i got me a coolant leak, from u know where :D

SlowStee
04-16-2004, 02:37 PM
goin to get the additive now, u guys better be right, its costin me 12 bucks :D

GRNDNL
04-16-2004, 02:54 PM
I'd put 2 bottles in.....

BAD LS1
04-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by FoRmuLa_DriVa
goin to get the additive now, u guys better be right, its costin me 12 bucks :D

Who the hell do you think your talking to here??:goof

One of those GN assclowns from hwy?? hahahaha

Flight_740
04-16-2004, 04:02 PM
um, come trade it in by me. It's worthless now. I'll give ya $900 for it. :flipoff:

J/K man, hopefully it's a simple fix. good luck.

Flight_740
04-16-2004, 04:03 PM
yoosof i got me a coolant leak, from u know where :D

hmm, intake gasket?

SlowStee
04-16-2004, 04:04 PM
this little tubing piece we broke that goes directly to the radiator......we epoxy'd it awhile ago, the coolant seems to have found a way around the epoxy :D

SlowStee
04-16-2004, 06:11 PM
can someone tell me where the plug is to put the fluid in? im not sure, or show me a diagram or somethin

Crawlin
04-16-2004, 06:16 PM
it's on the top of the rear end... i think it's almost like a allen bolt, but way bigger than normal

Chris

88camaro
04-16-2004, 06:20 PM
duck tape :goof

GRNDNL
04-16-2004, 07:09 PM
can someone tell me where the plug is to put the fluid in? im not sure, or show me a diagram or somethin

Right side, just above a casting rib, 1/2 way been the front and back. You need a 3/8 drive ratchet, might need a extension, its a square plug.

Cryptic
04-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Blown_Gtp
hmm, intake gasket?

LOL, god I hope not.

jon_we4
04-17-2004, 01:38 AM
wednesday night, i went and picked my car up from speed INC(they installed my gears, from 2.73's to 3.73's), and i brought the gears for them to install.....everything seemed fine, i drove around illinois, went and had dinner, and everything seemed to drive fine......so an hour and a half later, im back home, turning the corner to get in my alley and i hear a clinking sound coming from the back, im like "i didnt hear anything".....so im driving to the garage door, pulling in, and it starts clinking loudly from the back, like gears r slipping or something, you can actually feel the clinking too, and it is coming from the back. so i called yoosof right away in a panic, and he even heard it on the phone.....so i ran in the house sent speed inc an email....... the next day i went to a "friend" at midas, and he said it sounds like a tooth is broken, or somethings bouncing around in there. So I called speed INC (they never returned my email, or called me), and after finally getting a hold of them, they said they ran the car and let it cooled 3 different times, and that everything was fine when it left. They said i was welcome to come back and they would take a look at it.....the problem is, i dont have much money left, or much less the money to drive another hour an a half to speed inc again....they said i could have someone open up the rear-end and find out whats wrong, but thats gonna cost me at least 70 bucks to have someone do.....i owe 2 people money, because i borrowed money from them, for the install.....i dont exactly have money to pay to get this fixed...i got a big dilema here.....so far ive heard that the problem could be a "broken posi spring", "one of the teeth is broken", or some magnet thing,(dont remember the name), is bouncing around in there. And the car doesnt make the sounds, until it is heated up, and you are driving really slow(like parking). what do you guys think i should do? or what the heck the sound is?...thanks guys

What gears were they? Also who did you email? still no response? Did you bring your own fluid or pay for RP? Not trying to badger you just asking. Usually the 2 guys that would have been scheduled to do that install are great guys and would not have just forgotten that. Infact our main gear tech's last job was just gear installs. We've turned down quite a few customer supplied gears and installs even in the middle of the install if the pattern was not good enough. 10'bolts are not rock solid.

Let me know.... also email me jon@ls1speed.com if you ever have a quick question about anything. As long as you dont write me a novel I'll respond quickly even in the middle of the night and on the weekends.

SlowStee
04-17-2004, 02:56 AM
i called enough to get a hold of larry on the phone that day, he said i could come back down and they would look, but i really am not in for the drive, im gonna put the additive in, and see if it goes away.......i brought my own gears, and kit(bearings ect.)....you guys did the install, programming, and provided fluids.......we'll find out tomorrow if the problem has gone away....i'll get back to you and let you know how it goes....
thanks for the response man

jon_we4
04-17-2004, 12:04 PM
No problem, like I said I was just curious to a few of the facts. Do you remember the brand of the gears?

SlowStee
04-17-2004, 01:22 PM
strange 3.73's

SlowStee
04-17-2004, 06:16 PM
the problem seems to have been solved, im not hearing anymore noises, i ran it on the expressway for a bit, then around town, and i heard no noises pulling in, or turning slowly

9C1 Driver
04-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Gotta love the easy fixes :thumbsup

SlowStee
04-18-2004, 04:11 PM
yeah, now i have the rest of my problems to worry about :banana :(

97z2801ss
04-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Good to see u got the gear TICK TICK TICK fixed man! :headbang

SlowStee
04-19-2004, 05:20 PM
hell yeah, the gears are aggressive as hell.....i love em :headbang

Flight_740
04-19-2004, 05:42 PM
hey man, that wasnt your car for sale at firestone on sunday was it?

ricksws7
04-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Nice to hear of a easy solve to a problem. How much did they (speed inc) charge you for the gear swap. Rick

SlowStee
04-20-2004, 12:06 AM
$297 for everything, including programming, and fluids , i brought the gears and kit to them

ricksws7
04-20-2004, 09:06 PM
I might try them for my gear swap. Iwant to go to 3.73 from stock 3.23. Do you have any gear whine, thats what I am afraid of with making the change. Rick

SlowStee
04-20-2004, 11:18 PM
very little gear "whine" it sounds like a light humming, its not even noticeable most of the time...i dont mind it at all......you can buy gears that dont whine though....speed inc does good work :thumbsup

ricksws7
04-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Will pobable let speed inc do the swap. I do not want a whine so I will lookinto gears that do not whine. Hope to see you at a show or gathering to talk to you more. Thanks again Rick