PDA

View Full Version : 30,000 to 90,000 to die from Swine flu??????

DoubleAron
08-25-2009, 05:03 PM
:wow

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/54741092.html

I wonder if this is just your typical hype news story of the week or if this is really possible.

Looks like it is going to be a fun winter with 2 little kids in school.:mad:

BOSS LX
08-25-2009, 05:47 PM
:wow

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/54741092.html

I wonder if this is just your typical hype news story of the week or if this is really possible.

Looks like it is going to be a fun winter with 2 little kids in school.:mad:

Look under your name!

Yooformula
08-25-2009, 06:50 PM
approx 36k die every year from the flu already....and thats from the cdc website. more hype to get people to get the pig vaccine. funny how wisconsin leads the nation in pig flu reports yet portions of the vaccine were created here several YEARS ago. just a bit coincidental.

Karps TA
08-25-2009, 06:54 PM
People just need to follow some damn common sense, like if you're sick stay home. Working in an office you can always hear the plague coming as 1 dumbass shows up on deaths door coughing and sneezing then goes around spreading their disease everywhere. within a week 20 more people are sick and at work spreading it faster.

Yooformula
08-25-2009, 06:55 PM
People just need to follow some damn common sense, like if you're sick stay home. Working in an office you can always hear the plague coming as 1 dumbass shows up on deaths door coughing and sneezing then goes around spreading their disease everywhere. within a week 20 more people are sick and at work spreading it faster.

buwahhahahaha!

It amazes me how many people dont wash hands when they leave a rest room. I wont even touch a bathroom doorhandle with a paper towel nowadays. people are pigs.

awsomeears
08-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Eat healthy or decent, wash your hands when your in a public bathroom. When you take a shit put some TP down ( I mean who doesn't anyways ) and just use your common sense !!!

I think fairly healthy people who may get this will be okay after some R&R and medication. Those that smoke, drink heavily, eat like shit and are slobs that have a low immune system can die from this.

That_Guy
08-25-2009, 10:55 PM
if it means there is one less asshole ahead of me in line at the gas station, mc donalds, or grocery line.. im all about it.

Prince Valiant
08-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Can it happen? Why not? It's been estimated that a single flu pandemic killed as many as 100 million before....and that was less than a century ago.

The fear is that this flu could be like the spanish flu of 1918 (the particularly deadly flu that killed b/w 50-100 million). Though I'm reading that most doctors fear for the typical at risk populations (young, old, those with compromised immune systems), I've read an alarming number of cases of younger individuals dying from swine flu.

The spanish flu of 1918 killed mostly healthy young adults. It killed not because the virus itself was deadly...it was nothing special. But, the body reacted STRONGLY in response to it.

The thing was, if you had a strong immune system, it was your own immune response that killed you. Older, younger, weak individuals body went after it, but without much gusto...leading to eventual defeat of the flu, w/o death. The healthy individual generally died from what md's call a 'cytokine storm' in which the immune system keeps ramping itself up and up which depending on the area of infection (particularly the lungs), can result in death.

Will this happen now? Probably not...currently the flu has a low mortality rate even though we're seeing both young and old die; if you dig deeper, there is nothing to suggest it's hitting young/healthy harder than any other group. Though it does hit harder than the typical flu, so I'm not surprised to see a 90,000

Furthermore, what made the flu pandemic of 1918 so bad was WW1, where hundreds of thousands, to millions of young men were being put in close quarters on ships, in barracks, etc, en route to europe to fight.

Also, the flu in current form, while scary...it's not too virulent. What should be concerning though is it's ability to go from pig to bird. Since pigs can get both swine and bird flu, the fear is that a bird infected with bird flu will encounter a pig w/ swine flu, the pig picks up both within it's throat, and a mutation occurs. It's these mutations that'll likely prove deadly and virulent. This could happen next year, or 30 years from now. Or never. Who knows?

Even if a particularly virulent form hits, we now have medications to interrupt the body's overreaction to the flu, thus reducing the risk of death.

Of course, vaccines are can reduce the risk of catching, and if caught, reduce the severity/duration of the infection. I know some worry about vaccines...hell some complain of getting sick from the vaccine; but the vaccine is a dead virus...just like the flu, you mostly feel ill because of your body's response, not the actual virus (that might result in a sore throat, but again, that's a reaction to your body starting up the inflammatory response from the few cells the flu virus destroys). Your body sees the proteins and reacts as if it's a live virus (perhaps giving you a fever/ache/runny nose/stuffy head), but now it's ready and knows what the virus looks like for future encounters.

As well, we better understand flu transmission and steps we can take to avoid it. People don't live in as close quarters, travel more personally, etc.

It's best to prepare for the worst...but know that it probably won't be too bad.

madmike
08-26-2009, 12:50 AM
My 22 year old daughter had swine flu, took her late at night to clinic, doc came out told me she had swine flu, she had 102 temp for about 3 days, told to stay home for a week, no perscription drugs, just like over the counter, drink lots water and she is better now.

So I was like all worried over the media hype that she was gonna die and she did not even come close, but thats cause we took her to clinic, got doc excuse to stay home from work and rest.

97z2801ss
08-26-2009, 12:59 AM
I hopemy two year old stays good, def gunna be careful with him this winter

Adamsy87
08-26-2009, 01:57 AM
Can it happen? Why not? It's been estimated that a single flu pandemic killed as many as 100 million before....and that was less than a century ago.

The fear is that this flu could be like the spanish flu of 1918 (the particularly deadly flu that killed b/w 50-100 million). Though I'm reading that most doctors fear for the typical at risk populations (young, old, those with compromised immune systems), I've read an alarming number of cases of younger individuals dying from swine flu.

The spanish flu of 1918 killed mostly healthy young adults. It killed not because the virus itself was deadly...it was nothing special. But, the body reacted STRONGLY in response to it.

The thing was, if you had a strong immune system, it was your own immune response that killed you. Older, younger, weak individuals body went after it, but without much gusto...leading to eventual defeat of the flu, w/o death. The healthy individual generally died from what md's call a 'cytokine storm' in which the immune system keeps ramping itself up and up which depending on the area of infection (particularly the lungs), can result in death.

Will this happen now? Probably not...currently the flu has a low mortality rate even though we're seeing both young and old die; if you dig deeper, there is nothing to suggest it's hitting young/healthy harder than any other group. Though it does hit harder than the typical flu, so I'm not surprised to see a 90,000

Furthermore, what made the flu pandemic of 1918 so bad was WW1, where hundreds of thousands, to millions of young men were being put in close quarters on ships, in barracks, etc, en route to europe to fight.

Also, the flu in current form, while scary...it's not too virulent. What should be concerning though is it's ability to go from pig to bird. Since pigs can get both swine and bird flu, the fear is that a bird infected with bird flu will encounter a pig w/ swine flu, the pig picks up both within it's throat, and a mutation occurs. It's these mutations that'll likely prove deadly and virulent. This could happen next year, or 30 years from now. Or never. Who knows?

Even if a particularly virulent form hits, we now have medications to interrupt the body's overreaction to the flu, thus reducing the risk of death.

Of course, vaccines are can reduce the risk of catching, and if caught, reduce the severity/duration of the infection. I know some worry about vaccines...hell some complain of getting sick from the vaccine; but the vaccine is a dead virus...just like the flu, you mostly feel ill because of your body's response, not the actual virus (that might result in a sore throat, but again, that's a reaction to your body starting up the inflammatory response from the few cells the flu virus destroys). Your body sees the proteins and reacts as if it's a live virus (perhaps giving you a fever/ache/runny nose/stuffy head), but now it's ready and knows what the virus looks like for future encounters.

As well, we better understand flu transmission and steps we can take to avoid it. People don't live in as close quarters, travel more personally, etc.

It's best to prepare for the worst...but know that it probably won't be too bad.

:stare

MurphysLaw88GT
08-26-2009, 09:59 AM

An ancestor in my family died shortly after return from Europe with the AEF in 1918. He was a young man in his mid- late 20's.

I guess I am genetically boned.

Crawlin
08-26-2009, 10:28 AM
My Mom had it. Same thing as madmike.... doctor told her to stay home. my dad stayed home from work for those couple days too just so it didn't get spread to his employees. Doctor said it's only contagious within the first 24hrs of getting it. So how do you know when you first get it? haha.

Exitspeed
08-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Only thing that worries me is that my wife is pregnant now.

Silver350
08-26-2009, 10:43 AM
This is why I hate the media the get people worked up about every little thing. Same thing happen with West Nile everyone started panicing about and people went to hospital and clinic thinking they had it but they didnt. Now if you are worried about the flu get a flu shot.

07ROUSHSTG3
08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
I hopemy two year old stays good, def gunna be careful with him this winter

that is what i worry about also.

Al
08-26-2009, 01:30 PM

THe immunes system walks on a thin line. . .death lies on each side!