PDA

View Full Version : The Bikes and the Bees

Al
08-25-2009, 01:26 AM
This is a funny/sad/scary thing that happened to me today.

I was riding my motorcycle from Cedarburg to Milwaukee earlier today so that I could give someone a key. I was not interested in taking the freeway, so I took a variety of side roads in Grafton, Mequon and River Hills.

As I was making my way through River Hills and going about 35mph, I felt something fuzzy on my left wrist. I glanced down and saw that a big bee clinging to the underside of my wrist. Instinctively, I flailed my wrist to get him off. Unfortunately, this only succeeded in stuffing him deep in my glove. The little bastard then stung me so I pulled my glove off and threw it. I looked and saw that he was still there so I shook my wrist. Unfortuanetly, his stinger held his rear end to me and he took a nice bite into my arm to secure his head. I killed the engine and brought the bike to a hault and then flicked him off with my other hand. I inspected my arm and saw that he took his stinger with him.

Over the next 15 minutes, my arm went from a small red dot, to a raised white spot the size of a dime, to half of my forearm being red and finally a 25% increas in diameter due to swelling. I decided to stick around in Milwaukee for a few hours to make sure that I did not have a bee alergy.

Three hours later, I was on my way back home to Cedarburg. Somewhere near Brown Deer road, I felt something sharp in my helmet. I though "no f***ing way" as I pulled over. Before I pulled off my helmet, I knew that something just stung me on my right temple. When my helmet came off, I saw the little yellow and black bug fall out and onto the ground. I looked at him closely and saw that his stinger and half of his abdomen were missing. I lightly brushed the side of my head till I found the stinger and I pinched it off with my fingernails. I called one of my friends and gave him the you-are-not-going-to-believe-this speil. Then I was on my way...again.

Not done.

I make it within two blocks of my home in Cedarburg when I feel a fuzzy/stining feeling in my armpit. I pulled over right away and proceeded to pull of my coat and lift up my shirt to inspect. Sure enough, another bee is sitting in my armpit with his stinger in my side. I flicked him off and then inspected him and saw that his stinger was missing. I looked for the stinger but quickly found that another bee was on my back with his stinger lodged in my skin. I watched this one for a few seconds before I flicked him off, observing that he was biting me relentlessly. I searched both sting sites and found no stingers.

At this point I'm like "wtf" and figure everything is under control so I ride the last two blocks, park my bike, and walk in to inspect the damage one more time. Before I make it to the bathroom, I feel something sharp on my stomach and l looked down to see another bee stinging me about an inch from my belly button. I flicked this one off, but he left his stinger behind so I dug it out.

I didn't know what else to expect, so I took my shirt and stomped on it on the floor. Sure enough, there were a few more bees clinging inside of it.

I ended up sitting on the couch and watched TV for a half hour, pondering the source of the bees. The only things I took with me were my coat, helmet and motorcycle.

I walked outside and saw that bees were swarming aorund my bike. I watched them for a few minutes and saw that they were landing on the fuel tank and crawling under it. Sure enough, the bees had built a nest on my motorcycle. This is strange because I had not let my bike sit for more than 24 hours in the week prior.

NOTE: Brake parts cleaner is really good at killing bees.

Z28Envy
08-25-2009, 03:29 AM
Wow thats crazy man! Good thing you are not allergic to them! I've never had anything that crazy but I was driving once and drove through a huge swarm of bees that were crossing the road. It scared the shit out of me because I was doing about 60 mph and all of a sudden i saw this shit coming faster than I could think of what it was and they splatted all over the windsheild and I didn't have a clue at first what it was until I go stung in the shoulder. There were dead bees all over me from hitting the windsheild then getting sucked into the van.

Exitspeed
08-25-2009, 11:06 AM
That is nuts. I have to admit when I got to the point you got stung the second time I kinda chuckled.

So you keep your bike outside I take it?

Crazy.

Fuck bees.

-stew-
08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Good thing The Killer Bees didn't build a nest in your bike.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17/PAULIELEXX/Killer_Bees.jpg

Yooformula
08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
best post ever Stew!! But funny story Al and glad you werent allergic.

lordairgtar
08-25-2009, 03:24 PM
So, what kind of bike do you own? A BeeMW, BeeSA, or maybe a HayaBEEsa? A BEEuel? A MotoBUZZi?

PureSound15
08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I got stung the other day for the first time in years and HOLY SHIT!

Took me quite a while to get the stinger out. I think I would freak out being on a bike and seeing one go into my glove. Points to you for not dropping the bike and running like a little girl as I would have done.

-stew-
08-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks, Yoo. Al, do you ride a Buel Bee-Last?

kornholio788
08-25-2009, 08:15 PM
You ride a cBEEr600 don't you?

Crazy story. I just started riding myself this week. I can't imagine that. I think I would probably get way to frustrated adn just walk home lol.

Al
08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
None of the above. I have a sportster. The cooling fins might look a bit like a bees nest and that's how it got started.

I usually keep it in a garage, but it was outside for only a short period of time.

A few hours later, one of my friends took a look at my back and found a few stingers lodged in it that I was not aware of.

Exitspeed
08-26-2009, 01:35 PM
None of the above. I have a sportster. The cooling fins might look a bit like a bees nest and that's how it got started.

I usually keep it in a garage, but it was outside for only a short period of time.

A few hours later, one of my friends took a look at my back and found a few stingers lodged in it that I was not aware of.

Ironic I had a run in with some bees yesterday and I totally thought about this thread. I guess that's what I get for chuckling at ya.

I didn't get stung though. :thumbsup

Al
08-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Ironic I had a run in with some bees yesterday and I totally thought about this thread. I guess that's what I get for chuckling at ya.

I didn't get stung though. :thumbsup

Laugh all you want. I ended up with a good story at the end of the day (and i love a good story!).

I'd say it was worth the pain.

Silver350
08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I kind of like to see a picture of the hive on the bike would of ended the story a lot better.

Exitspeed
08-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Laugh all you want. I ended up with a good story at the end of the day (and i love a good story!).

I'd say it was worth the pain.

Ha, that's how I feel about that kinda stuff too.

Al
08-26-2009, 11:15 PM
I kind of like to see a picture of the hive on the bike would of ended the story a lot better.

I recently moved and I still can't find my camera.

The nest was only about 1-1/2 inches across and was well hidden between the engine and fuel tank.

I pulled my bike out earlier today and walked inside to get my coat. When I came back a few minutes later, there were a few bees hovering around my motorcycle. Today was one of only a handful of days where I opted to drive my car over riding my bike.

I'm going to pressure wash it tomorrow after I change the oil.