PDA

View Full Version : Electrical engineers/Gurus *help*

MoCkiN U
08-22-2009, 06:43 PM
This is going to sound petty to some so dont hate on the idea or the application just provide insight on if it can be done and in your opinion what would be the easiest way to accomplish this.

*not interested in DUDE DONT WASTE TIME OR MONEY
*not interested in WHAT A RICER THING TO DO
*not interested in DONT WASTE THE GAS

Save your time if thats what you wanna write cause Im gonna find a way to do it and I am asking nicely for help.

I have a very crude image of a wiring diagram of my nitrous solenoid. Power switch will arm the setup and the monetary button will activate the purge itself. As long as the button is held down it will spray.

I want to have the nitrous purge activated by remote if possible. Will still be activated by monetary button BUT want to be able to visit car shows and have activated by remote or at my store and mess with co workers and have the remote activate the purge. What is the best way to achieve this in the wiring aspect of it. Probably use a very simple remote that is used to activate other 12V lighting systems and such.

PureSound15
08-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Do you have an after-market alarm on your mustang already?

BoosTT
08-22-2009, 07:26 PM
^^ and what kind of range/price are you looking at? Theres a lot of options.

MoCkiN U
08-22-2009, 07:30 PM
^^ and what kind of range/price are you looking at? Theres a lot of options.

ah not sure. Lets discuss some cost effective options. Im not rich but im not a tight ass either LOL

Yes, I do have a prestige alarm on the car with remote and another un-used option button on it

indyzmike
08-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Would this be easier to do using a stand alone CO2 system instead of NOS?

MoCkiN U
08-22-2009, 08:15 PM
eh. maybe not sure?. Not too many spots for the purge to come through the way I am hiding it in the engine bay. Shaker and hood design takes up a lot of good hiding spots.

BoosTT
08-22-2009, 08:39 PM
ah not sure. Lets discuss some cost effective options. Im not rich but im not a tight ass either LOL

Yes, I do have a prestige alarm on the car with remote and another un-used option button on it

Get the specs on your alarms un-used option. I can spec out parts that'll work with it. It would be the best way to do it. Other options wouldn't be nearly as clean. Actually other options would be a bulky remote.

You need to find out if it's normally open/normally closed, pulsed, 12v, time delays, ect. More the better. A schmatic is cool too. I don't know much about alarms, just electronics.

MoCkiN U
08-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Looks like page 12 of this PDF gives a lot of info. Its a 12v source that is active after either pressing the buttons 3 seconds or 8 seconds. The 8 second button is programmed to my trunk right now I know. The side button which I am still looking for more specs on now is a easier button to randomly hit which would work as long as the bottle is closed it wont go

http://www.clubgpstore.com/art/aps996installation.pdf

Reverend Cooper
08-22-2009, 09:30 PM
personally,I think it will be easy to do and cool as hell

Turbo-Triumph
08-22-2009, 09:50 PM
FYI if your alarm system doesnt work, at auto zone i bought (3,4,5 years ago) a remote activator.. i dont know how much it was, b/c i got a substantial discount on it.

it had 4 circuits (2 n/o 2 n/c id assume, dont remember) and was in the neon light isle.

IDK how many amps the sol. takes (prob not much, if even 1) but ide suggest setting it up on a relay anyways.

-auto zone on 17th beechor-

MoCkiN U
08-22-2009, 09:52 PM
I saw that tonight on the way home. its $30 and I just about picked it up but wanted to do more research first. I might just pick that up tomorrow

ND4SPD
08-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Allelectronics.com has what you need... $18.75 plus shipping.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RC-10/KEYCHAIN-REMOTE-CONTROL-12VDC-6-AMP/-/1.html

http://www.allelectronics.com/mas_assets/image_cache/height.500_width.500_modified.1237373195.3299.RC-10.jpg

Control 12 Vdc devices using keychain on/off remote switch. Ideal for automotive applications, but can also be adapted to home use with the addition of a 12 Volt relay. Black-box receiver switches 12 Vdc loads up to 6 Amps when prompted by two-button keychain transmitter control. Receiver is 2.5" x 1.8" x 0.9" thick. Operates on small 12V alkaline batteries VR22/CN22/CN23A (our CAT# BAT-27). Includes two keychain transmitters with batteries and hook-up diagram. Also available in 15 Amp load version - see our CAT# RC-11.

There's a 4-channel one too...

http://www.allelectronics.com/mas_assets/image_cache/height.500_width.500_modified.1237373195.4908.RC-13.jpg

By the way, I think it's a great idea.

Downside to these two is they're not momentary... though you could wire up a "one-shot" circuit that would only activate the purge for an instant. If you google "one shot circuit" you should get the circuit schematics for one. They're not complicated and you could put one together with a breadboard from Radio Shack.

MoCkiN U
08-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Downside to these two is they're not momentary... though you could wire up a "one-shot" circuit that would only activate the purge for an instant. If you google "one shot circuit" you should get the circuit schematics for one. They're not complicated and you could put one together with a breadboard from Radio Shack.

awesome!! sounds like the way to go. I can leave the remote in the glove box until I want to play with it and off I go

SSLEVO
08-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Are you going to have a remote bottle opener as well? I wouldn't leave the bottle open for long periods of time, you'll probably leak off pressure over time.

fivonut
08-23-2009, 11:08 AM
This is going to sound petty to some so dont hate on the idea or the application just provide insight on if it can be done and in your opinion what would be the easiest way to accomplish this.

*not interested in DUDE DONT WASTE TIME OR MONEY
*not interested in WHAT A RICER THING TO DO
*not interested in DONT WASTE THE GAS

Save your time if thats what you wanna write cause Im gonna find a way to do it and I am asking nicely for help.

I have a very crude image of a wiring diagram of my nitrous solenoid. Power switch will arm the setup and the monetary button will activate the purge itself. As long as the button is held down it will spray.

I want to have the nitrous purge activated by remote if possible. Will still be activated by monetary button BUT want to be able to visit car shows and have activated by remote or at my store and mess with co workers and have the remote activate the purge. What is the best way to achieve this in the wiring aspect of it. Probably use a very simple remote that is used to activate other 12V lighting systems and such.

Use a relay, don't wire the momentary switch directly to the solenoid. Use the momentary switch to energize the relay, and wire whatever remotely activated switch you use in parallel with the momentary switch.

fivonut
08-23-2009, 11:13 AM
monetary button

On a side note, Where can I get one of these buttons!!!!!!

MoCkiN U
08-23-2009, 11:38 AM
get them all over the place. autozone and such. I think I have one laying in my tool box at home. I do have a remote bottle opener so not an issue there and have 2 bottles so im good there too.

I wire the remote activated switch and the monetary button in parrallel....Got that. Then that goes to a relay. The relay then goes to the solenoid. What purpose does the relay achieve?

MoCkiN U
08-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Okay......found it but as good as I think I am at basic electronics that schematic confuses the crap out of me.

ND4SPD
08-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I'll see if I have a better schematic.

fivonut
08-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Okay......found it but as good as I think I am at basic electronics that schematic confuses the crap out of me.

Yeh, you don't need anything like that. The relay is a heavier duty device and can handle the higher current and spikes that occur when you switch a load. Let me see what I can do as far as making a schematic.

fivonut
08-23-2009, 01:41 PM

This should work.

ND4SPD
08-23-2009, 03:08 PM
If you want to test your ideas out, I have a program called Proteus which allows you to build circuits and test them out. Obviously they don't have a nitrous solenoid, but you could use a relay instead. It also makes for nice schematic designs. ;)

there's a demo on their website:

http://labcenter.co.uk

The circuits actually function the way they would in real life. So if you have something that blinks an LED... that's exactly what you see in the program.

http://www.labcenter.co.uk/products/picdem2.gif

The point to using the one shot is because the remote I posted has an on button and an off button. Without a one shot or some sort of duration control, the purge solenoid would stay open until the off button was pressed. Which, would probably work just fine. Press on, then quickly hit off and you get a nice purge.

BoosTT
08-23-2009, 03:13 PM
This should work.

Use this circuit and insert the d-f/f circuit (one shot) where your normally open remote switch is. If you don't, you'll purge for like .001 secconds.

The other schmatic isn't too hard to follow. Tie all the triangles to neg and the v+ to positive. The mushroom thing is your button, wire your remote there. You need two d-f/f's (7474), a diode, large cap and some resistors, get them from digikey.com. All the pins on the f/f's are numbered and the numbers are in the schmatic. I would just solder the thing right on the chips.

fivonut
08-23-2009, 03:24 PM
If you want to test your ideas out, I have a program called Proteus which allows you to build circuits and test them out. Obviously they don't have a nitrous solenoid, but you could use a relay instead. It also makes for nice schematic designs. ;)

there's a demo on their website:

http://labcenter.co.uk

The circuits actually function the way they would in real life. So if you have something that blinks an LED... that's exactly what you see in the program.

http://www.labcenter.co.uk/products/picdem2.gif

The point to using the one shot is because the remote I posted has an on button and an off button. Without a one shot or some sort of duration control, the purge solenoid would stay open until the off button was pressed. Which, would probably work just fine. Press on, then quickly hit off and you get a nice purge.

I see. I didn't read that many of the posts, makes sense. I was assuming he already had a NO momentary contact. But, that's a pretty complex circuit for your average do it yourselfer to try and put together. There are devices already out there that will close a contact for a set period of time with a momentary trigger.

Like this:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90148468&listingid=30704938

fivonut
08-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Or, check the owners manual for programming option for this button. You may be able to program it to close a contact for a period of time or for it to follow the input of the button. The contact remains closed for as long as the button is pressed.

fivonut
08-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Or, check the owners manual for programming option for this button. You may be able to program it to close a contact for a period of time or for it to follow the input of the button. The contact remains closed for as long as the button is pressed.

From page 12 of the manual you posted:

Green w/ Black Trace Wire: 300mA Latched Channel 4 Output
The Green w/ Black Trace wire supplies a 300 mA switched output whenever channel four of the receiver is
accessed. Pressing the pre-programmed transmitter button(s) will access channel four and will remain
active, for up to 8 seconds, as long as the transmitter button(s) is held. This is a low current output and
must be connected to a relay to supply power to the device you intend to control. Connect Green w/ Black
Trace wire to terminal #86 of a VF45F11 P&B relay or equivalent. Connect terminal #85 of the relay to a
fused + 12 volt source. Connect the common, normally open, and normally closed contacts of the relay to
perform the selected function of the channel 4 output.

Connect the wires from your alarm exactly as described and the momentary switch in parallel. You should be able to purge remotely for as long as you hold down the button, up to 8 seconds.

MoCkiN U
08-23-2009, 04:20 PM
From page 12 of the manual you posted:

Green w/ Black Trace Wire: 300mA Latched Channel 4 Output
The Green w/ Black Trace wire supplies a 300 mA switched output whenever channel four of the receiver is
accessed. Pressing the pre-programmed transmitter button(s) will access channel four and will remain
active, for up to 8 seconds, as long as the transmitter button(s) is held. This is a low current output and
must be connected to a relay to supply power to the device you intend to control. Connect Green w/ Black
Trace wire to terminal #86 of a VF45F11 P&B relay or equivalent. Connect terminal #85 of the relay to a
fused + 12 volt source. Connect the common, normally open, and normally closed contacts of the relay to
perform the selected function of the channel 4 output.

Connect the wires from your alarm exactly as described and the momentary switch in parallel. You should be able to purge remotely for as long as you hold down the button, up to 8 seconds.

hmmmm. let me try that. thanks for all the help guys. Lots of easily workable ideas here for sure