PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on LinkedIn?

TransAm12sec
08-19-2009, 11:46 PM
How many people have a LinkedIn account? I'm not too familiar with the website, but the name comes up randomly.

Undertaker
08-20-2009, 06:47 AM
I have one. Don't really do too much in the way of updating though.

PureSound15
08-20-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm on there quite a bit - that site has helped me many a time for work.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ryan-trost/5/749/236

Yeah... it's my work picture Not badass in anyway shape or form.

TraceDaddy
08-20-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm on. It's nice to keep in touch with people from places I used to work.

wrath
08-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Be careful what you have for an Internet footprint. It can make or break your work life and your future prospects. I can tell you that when I'm involved in the hiring process 7/8 people that I scour the intarweb for I find stuff that makes me take a more scrutinizing look ath them. It's a pretty big problem for the <35 crowd and can be career suicide for the <25 crowd. Once it's out there it's pretty much out of your control.

PureSound15
08-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Be careful what you have for an Internet footprint. It can make or break your work life and your future prospects. I can tell you that when I'm involved in the hiring process 7/8 people that I scour the intarweb for I find stuff that makes me take a more scrutinizing look ath them. It's a pretty big problem for the <35 crowd and can be career suicide for the <25 crowd. Once it's out there it's pretty much out of your control.

What the hell are you talking about? It's a professional networking site. We're not talking about facebook or myspace.

y2kws6
08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I am also on there.

Seems to be a very repritable site. (Even Uneployment recommended it)

Dan Kuehn

DurtyKurty
08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
What the hell are you talking about?

LOL's

Rocket Power
08-20-2009, 12:20 PM
What the hell are you talking about? If he sees people being happy with their house or any other aspect of liking Wisconsin, he blackballs them:goof

94greenbandit
08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I am on there and have actually been able to track down some old friends that way. Mostly use it to keep in contact with former co-workers

PB86MCSS
08-20-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm on there as well...not sure if it helped but it seemed to be looked at in a favorable light by recruiters/staffing agencies and other "professionals".

Some people hiring may look at Myspace or Facebook sure, if an employer is going to judge me on what I do in my spare time thats legal and on a social web site, then I rather not work for them to be honest. Then again I don't have any idiotic pictures I guess.

-stew-
08-20-2009, 06:27 PM
If he sees people being happy with their house or any other aspect of liking Wisconsin, he blackballs them:goof

Oh the lulz!!! Its funny cuz its true!!! I almost forgot I gotta go light him up In that driveshaft thread, I'ma handle that bidnis when I get home...

He's like Newman. No, that's an insult to Newman.

jon_we4
08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Been on there for quite awhile now. Comes in handy with freelance work, but not like elance where you get people from china and india undercut you to work for $3 an hour for something that I might charge $100 for.

retro_pony
08-20-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm on, not too often. Had no idea what it was until I got laid off. Too a seminar "How to Get a Hot Job in a Cold Market" - one of their recommendations was to get on Linkedin. Got my feet wet. Good way to network. Never really thought it would make a difference...

However, I WILL SAY, having the Linkedin account, had a big impact on me finding a new job! I have to give it a thumbs up. Might not be for everyone, but in the job hunt, every detail counts.

wrath
08-21-2009, 07:32 AM
What the hell are you talking about? It's a professional networking site. We're not talking about facebook or myspace.

Did I say anything specific about LinkedIn?

Regardless, you have to be careful what you put anywhere. Sites like LinkedIn and Spoke can be great tools. However, things can be misconstrued pretty easily. It can be used to see what kind of people you know/associate yourself with.

For example, it looks like on your LinkedIn page that you got taught by Marine Credit Union then promptly left. Not many places appreciate investing a bunch of money in you to have you walk out the door before they've earned it back. I don't know if that's the case or not, but that's what it looks like.

It's actually pretty ridiculous how hiring goes these days. It used to be if you showed up on time, did your job well, and didn't cause any grief you were a good employee that everyone wanted. Not so much the case anymore.

y2kws6
08-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Since everyone has these linkedin accounts, why don't we connect our sources. Since I do not know everyones name could you all request me.

Dan Kuehn

Silver03SRT
08-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Im on it. I think I went on once when I signed up.

94greenbandit
08-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Since everyone has these linkedin accounts, why don't we connect our sources. Since I do not know everyones name could you all request me.

Dan Kuehn

Are you an ERP manager at Die concepts

y2kws6
08-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I used to be, I was on the 4th round laid off due to being straight overhead. They had a month quota of $550,000 in sales and in week three they were at $80,000. Had to make some changes.

Why do you know a place that is looking for one?

Dan

94greenbandit
08-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I found you on LinkedIN but i wanted to make sure it was you. Sorry to hear about the layoff. I don't know anybody looking sorry

PureSound15
08-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Did I say anything specific about LinkedIn?

Regardless, you have to be careful what you put anywhere. Sites like LinkedIn and Spoke can be great tools. However, things can be misconstrued pretty easily. It can be used to see what kind of people you know/associate yourself with.

For example, it looks like on your LinkedIn page that you got taught by Marine Credit Union then promptly left. Not many places appreciate investing a bunch of money in you to have you walk out the door before they've earned it back. I don't know if that's the case or not, but that's what it looks like.

It's actually pretty ridiculous how hiring goes these days. It used to be if you showed up on time, did your job well, and didn't cause any grief you were a good employee that everyone wanted. Not so much the case anymore.

Blah blah blah nothing to add here!

So, as you have chosen to prove on your own, there is absolutely no content in your useless post other than what what people already know.

Further - I'm not on linked in to find a new job. My success at MCU landed me the sweet job that I have now so I really have no regrets at all. The move took me from middle management to senior management and that's what it looks like.

Just like houses used to be cheap and worth what they were worth in the eye of WRATH.:rolleyes: