PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbo kit for c5

pOrk
08-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't know much about turbo setups hence my posting. Why are the turbos on this setup mounted so far to the rear of the exhaust, and what is the flange for on the right pipe before the turbo?

http://www.turbo-kits.com/images/sts_c5_corvette_twin_turbo_3.jpg

07ROUSHSTG3
08-19-2009, 04:09 PM
WTF? it does not look very efficient to me?!?!

pOrk
08-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't think you would want the turbos that far back, I'd think putting one turbo up front would be as efficient as if not more efficient then both mounted at the REAR. But I dunno, thats why I'm asking :) This seems to be a good selling kit as I see similar setups to this one online all the time.

Adamsy87
08-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Just google remote turbo system. STS is a company that has been doing them for a while now.

Irish
Looks like an STS rear mount turbo kit. The turbos replace the mufflers lol... Some people say they work okay and some say they are shit. I have no experience with them personally but I wouldn't choo choo choose to do that set-up.. Think of all that pipe that has to run back up to the motor... it'd be like two exhaust systems under the car.

UnderPSI
Looks like the waste gate outlet (the flange) STS kit. They still haven't figured out how to mount them up front.

Take a look at the APS twin kit for the C5/C6. It's a work of art.

UnderPSI
08-19-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.airpowersystems.com/corvette/z06.htm

07ROUSHSTG3
08-19-2009, 04:19 PM
^^^^
that looks nice!!

0TransAm0
08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
http://www.airpowersystems.com/corvette/z06.htm

:drool::drool::drool:

JC70SS
08-19-2009, 06:04 PM
sts= waste of money

jon_we4
08-19-2009, 07:16 PM
what is the flange for on the right pipe before the turbo?

Wastegate. Normally that would be routed into the exhaust after the turbo. But it'd be a waster to do it on that setup.

Lag is real on those systems. They work, just have to wait a little bit.

APS = the shit.

Jim's Twin Turbo Z06 uses APS parts ...

A7bFEmP5s78

xxsn0blindxx
08-19-2009, 07:22 PM
The remote mount kits obviously aren't ideal, but they are meant for applications where limited space prevents the traditional mounting of turbos. They make power and reportedly additional lag isn't an issue, although a standard mounting would obviously be superior. I have never seen anybody who has personal experience with an STS kit say anything bad about them.

97z2801ss
08-19-2009, 07:41 PM
so sexy....

For the layz...

http://www.airpowersystems.com/corvette/Z06/z06_eng_comp_l-2.jpg

Ive heard alot of that to its either people love STS or hate it

SLOWC5
08-19-2009, 08:24 PM
turbos..... :)

JC70SS
08-19-2009, 09:26 PM
actually APS= SHIT!!!! JUNK!!! Enjoy.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1165816-calling-out-aps.html

jon_we4
08-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Different APS kits use different products. If they offer a turbo upgrade for a kit - take it. You get better parts. I don't know if they offered one for the f-body kits, but I know they've offered them in the past. And as always when adding turbos to a N/A car - nothing is ever "bolt-on". You are guaranteed a that some custom work will need to be done, at least to get the job done right and make it perform at it's peak.

Also remember APS is in Australia. They have different customs down there and it's normal for companies to shut down for weeks at a time for 'holiday'. It's not like you are calling a state away for help. But if you want to adjust your boost on the fly, not worry about supercharger belts, and want an efficient and powerful setup for a late model GM car - APS is one of your top choices.

I have never seen anybody who has personal experience with an STS kit say anything bad about them.

Every STS car I've driven has had lag. You can compensate at the track with a 2-step or a torque converter and make the car run fast, but on the street it won't help.

CobaltSSTuner
08-21-2009, 01:30 AM
The main advantage (if you consider it one) from my understanding, with the sts kits, you don't need to run an intercooler, which is why it sits sooo far back towards the end of the exhaust because the temps aren't as hot.. But I could be wrong.

HY35F2T
08-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I lol'd at some of the post in this thread.:shades

Instead of just running your mouth maybe ppl should ask a member thats on here that has a f-body with a sts kit.But its much easier to act as if you know when you've never delt with forced induction.Talk about hypocrite.

Trying to think of his name hes pretty new fuck now this is gonna bother me all damn day.

FourEyedFord
08-21-2009, 11:56 AM
When one of the most prolific Mustang racer's, Mike Murillo, tried a rear mount setup and switched back to the conventional way shortly after, thats when I lost total interest in them. For a fun street car maybe, but if you are looking to do any kind of racing I wouldn't. Why make it harder to get the car up on boost consistantly, just mount the damn things up front where they belong. :D

On a side note, I hope that kit is unfinished because A) that waste gate should have a dump tube on it-not necessarily routed back into the downpipe and B) There is only one gate on it. I realize you could probably control both turbos with one gate as long as the exhaust joins together somewhere before it reaches each turbo, but I HIGHLY doubt it would be a reasonable amount. I would think it would creep like a motha!

SLOWC5
08-21-2009, 12:27 PM
May not be optimum, but can be made to work decent...
Mike Romaine (stealth99c5)
http://gmhightechperformance.automotive.com/109859/0907gmhtp-c5-corvette-with-a-4l80e-transmission/index.html

FourEyedFord
08-21-2009, 12:51 PM
May not be optimum, but can be made to work decent...
Mike Romaine (stealth99c5)
http://gmhightechperformance.automotive.com/109859/0907gmhtp-c5-corvette-with-a-4l80e-transmission/index.html

It deffinately isn't impossible to get a setup like that down the track, A LOT of how the turbo spools is dependant on cam, torque converter, tuneup, and the turbo itself of course. My point was why make it harder than it should be?

There is no denying, for me anyway, that a turbo mounted in the front will out-perform a rearmounted verson of the same type. That car is neat, but to maximize the combo, that baby would have to go up front.

SLOWC5
08-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I am not defending these kits at all. Just showing a version that has been made to work. I doubt few parts are even from the kit anymore on Mike's car!! lol

JEFF

FourEyedFord
08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
I am not defending these kits at all. Just showing a version that has been made to work. I doubt few parts are even from the kit anymore on Mike's car!! lol

JEFF

Yea, I'm sure most of that kit is custom now. I would like to see where the heck they put a T6 based 88mm in the back of that car! Either it hangs out the back bumper, or the floor has a big hump in it, lol. :D

97z2801ss
08-21-2009, 01:21 PM
wow I just read most of the ls1tech thread, APS said they quit making them after all the bad turbos came out.

Thanks Joe, for the post

HY35F2T
08-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Yea, I'm sure most of that kit is custom now. I would like to see where the heck they put a T6 based 88mm in the back of that car! Either it hangs out the back bumper, or the floor has a big hump in it, lol. :D
I know right cutout the spare tire area lol.Life the carpet and theres a med sized turbo sitting there :rolf.

JC70SS
08-22-2009, 02:50 PM
You could just buy the APS kit and get some garretts for it.

GTSLOW
08-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Pork bought a C5?

SLOWC5
08-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Corvettes have spare tires?

Irish
08-23-2009, 11:09 PM
I know right cutout the spare tire area lol.Life the carpet and theres a med sized turbo sitting there :rolf.

Life the carpet? wtf?:confused

Car Guy
08-24-2009, 12:47 AM
I believe he meant "lift".....