PDA

View Full Version : 2001 grand am?

hrsp
08-18-2009, 02:49 AM
friend is looking at a 2001 grand am gt...v6
it has 131k miles...

whats the reliability like on these cars? heard alot of them have bad intake gaskets? anything else about this car? thanks

Exitspeed
08-18-2009, 09:30 AM
I had a 99 GT and it had non stop electrical bullshit issues.

I only had it for like 3 years though so I don't know about how reliable they are now that they are 10 years old.

84hurst
08-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Intake leaks are very common. Almost every single one needs to be replaced at some point. Plus with 131k on it, the intake prolly needs to be done. It's not really that hard of a job but it will prolly take about a day to do. Head gaskets also are somewhat common but they usually leak internally so you don't notice an external leak. Suspensions are fairly noisy too. My friend has a 99 with 175k and has had to replace both the motor and the trans so far.

cheap80Z28
08-18-2009, 11:21 PM
i had a 2002 gr am sold it with 98,xxx miles and only had window motor problems, and had it over 4 years.

Car Guy
08-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Those = job security for me......;)

A B4C Z
08-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Lower intake gaskets. Bcms. Ignition Cylinders Brakes.

There good cars they will go for ever in reality. Whats 600 bucks or so for intake when the car will keep trucking for 200+k

Exitspeed
08-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Lower intake gaskets. Bcms. Ignition Cylinders Brakes.

There good cars they will go for ever in reality. Whats 600 bucks or so for intake when the car will keep trucking for 200+k

$600 more then you'd have to spend on a Camry to get 200k.

brotherbenn83
08-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Intake leaks are very common. Almost every single one needs to be replaced at some point. Plus with 131k on it, the intake prolly needs to be done. It's not really that hard of a job but it will prolly take about a day to do. Head gaskets also are somewhat common but they usually leak internally so you don't notice an external leak. Suspensions are fairly noisy too. My friend has a 99 with 175k and has had to replace both the motor and the trans so far.

Jeff is an idiot, usually the head gaskets leak externally. If he buys it might as well just throw head gaskets on it right away since it is only a little more involved. Shoot me a PM for work, can do head gaskets in about 3 hours.
Other issues: strut mounts/seats noisy and burned out blower resistors. All around good cars, and not some faggoty jap econobox like exitspeed would have you buy.

Exitspeed
08-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Jeff is an idiot, usually the head gaskets leak externally. If he buys it might as well just throw head gaskets on it right away since it is only a little more involved. Shoot me a PM for work, can do head gaskets in about 3 hours.
Other issues: strut mounts/seats noisy and burned out blower resistors. All around good cars, and not some faggoty jap econobox like exitspeed would have you buy.

Lol. That car tries to be cool and fails hardcore. I just didn't know better when I bought it.

I'll take my faggoty well running, other then oil changes, maintenance free econobox over a that POS as a daily driver any day.

Gimmie a call to pick you up when you need a ride to Autozone. :thumbsup